IGNORED

Channel 4 rebooting GamesMaster?

Clipper

Enjoyed the second episode a lot too.  Rab was born to do this and I was unaware of Frankie before I saw this but she's an utter delight too.  Ty doesn't bring much to the party but he's likable enough, maybe he doesn't quite have the love of games that is clear to see in Rab and Frankie.    I really hope the show gets picked up for a proper run though because I could happily do a year or two of this. 

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

The Cuphead challenge was intense! If the series gets picked up I hope they expand the players beyond streamers and other media people.

As someone who only watches a few retro gaming streams with generally older people it's interesting to see the variety of streamers here and their varying degrees of gaming ability. So far they've largely been pretty rubbish, and the show seems to take great delight in that fact. It fed into the debate about who this reboot is aimed at as it felt like an older generation of gamers having a go at streamers who tend to be younger. Obviously the producers hit Twitch looking for personalities that would work on telly rather than skilled players. It's probably a lot easier to just pick some streamers up where you can see how they're going to look over random members of the public like the original. Were the couple in the first episode streamers? 

Unless he does streaming the Cuphead guy didn't count as his main USP was he'd been on GM in the old days. That was some proper skill he showed off there, very satisfying to watch. 

That's exactly why I liked his challenge so much, his skill level was beyond the people doing it for a living. I agree that getting streamers on is probably easier for now but if the show re-establishes itself it'd be more fun to see more people like Christian Dinh on there.

Would have been nice if Limmy was invited on for a challenge. Him and Rab have done things in the past, no idea if they get on now though. 

Although I expect Limmy would just say "Aye fucking right" if asked. 

Me and the other half both really enjoyed the two episodes we’ve seen so far.

In the unlikely event that there’s anyone reading this that has a say in how the show is made, please stop talking to the audience. By far the worst bit in an otherwise great return to the old favourite. It was fine when it was mostly kids, but not now.

18 hours ago, Moz said:

Ah yes “grow some balls” says the man who virtually burst into tears on TV after being unable to go down the slide in Mario 64

But the game wasn't officially available in the UK so he didn't know how to play it. Or something else similarly ridiculous.

Overall, I don't quite know what I thought of episode 3. It was probably the funniest, and I genuinely laughed out loud a couple of times, but I also found myself quite annoyed at the overall quality of the players. Now, I know not everyone needs to see nothing but pro-level skills, but some of these would lose to my arthritic septuagenarian mum.

I do hope we get more of it. Even Ty, who is more or less pointless, at least gives good energy. Although, maybe an actual GamesMaster Twitch channel would be the way to go? Streamers Vs streamers clearly has some potential as a format.

Good episode. Leave it to Rab to throw references to 

Spoiler

MiSTer, RetroTINK and the OSSC

into his review!

6 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

I also found myself quite annoyed at the overall quality of the players. Now, I know not everyone needs to see nothing but pro-level skills, but some of these would lose to my arthritic septuagenarian mum.

I loved the skill (or lack thereof) of the players. The SFV match in particular was the sort of ludicrous special move-spamming showdown I saw many times in after-school SFII matches.