Channel 4 rebooting GamesMaster?

Clipper

Just finished episode 2. I think the reviews are great and would prefer this part to be expanded, at least two an episode. I'd happily lose one of the challenges.

Weirdly I'd never even considered upgrading my standard Switch for an OLED but I'm going to have to get one for Xmas now. Rab should be working for Nintendo.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

I’m beginning to wonder if the man from C4 was sent to rllmuk by Robert Florence, because, why else?

I think it's a bit sad the way that guy was treated. They probably just thought it would be nice to give us the chance to be involved and then he basically got treated like he was taking massive liberties by daring to come and invite us!

54 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

I think it's a bit sad the way that guy was treated. They probably just thought it would be nice to give us the chance to be involved and then he basically got treated like he was taking massive liberties by daring to come and invite us!

Can just imagine him thinking "oh well, fuck those nerds"

48 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

Wait, was Biglime hounded out by the user base here? I just thought he pissed off. Damn.

Think this was more to do with the guy who came here presumably from the production company and posted a flyer which was greeted with a certain amount of cynicism and scepticism. He deleted his post and a new thread had to be created. 

I think biglime drifted away as his writing career was taking off and he was just doing other things. I'm not aware of any particular reason why he'd be driven away. 

Probably the same as a lot of us - busy with work, family, not a lot of time to game. Still lurk around because, hey, when you've been part of the community for almost 25 years... if I just look at my case, rllmuk is my longest running group of "friends".

That Cuphead challenge in episode 2 was fantastic! Also nice to have a guest who isn’t a try-hard content creator… it’s probably my age though!

Rab’s fantastic and Frankie was entertaining. Not sure what purpose Ty serves, other than to keep Rab’s seat warm between challenges? 

4 hours ago, Vimster said:

a certain amount of cynicism and scepticism

This is underplaying it, it just wasn't very nice.  Imagine posting here because it's one of the few nerd forums left in the (mainly) UK that's reasonably busy, rightly thinking people would be interested, then being received like that. At least it turned out pretty ace so he had the last laugh. Same with that Antstream mad dude. This place has been especially downbeat for a while now, with these occasional blips of outright hostility it's not very pleasant.

13 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

This is underplaying it, it just wasn't very nice.  Imagine posting here because it's one of the few nerd forums left in the (mainly) UK that's reasonably busy, rightly thinking people would be interested, then being received like that. At least it turned out pretty ace so he had the last laugh. Same with that Antstream mad dude. This place has been especially downbeat for a while now, with these occasional blips of outright hostility it's not very pleasant.

Firstly I will hold my hands up and say I was pretty sceptical of this and was probably part of the tide of cynicism that drove the guy away. Now I'm not going to say this is a defence but going by previous attempts at copying the GM formula, and gaming-related TV in general, it's not surprising people were not convinced. We've thankfully all been proven wrong and I'll bet that has shaken some assumptions re gaming on television. It would have been nice if the guy had made an attempt to counter the mockery though. Maybe if it had been challenged it would have made a big difference and, again, shaken up some of the more hardened cynical views. 

Was the Switch OLED the product placement in the show (episode 2)? We tend to watch it on telly via the C4 website and you get a big sign at the start of programmes telling you there is product placement in a programme.

It’s tricky with this because I guess any of the games are product placement really, but that Switch bit really reeked of it.

Also the Switch seems to crop up in Hollyoaks with alarming regularity when they aren’t playing their made up game ‘Combat Raiders’, it’s the most obvious product placement I’ve spotted on there other than Vinted or Alexa.

56 minutes ago, Vimster said:

It would have been nice if the guy had made an attempt to counter the mockery though. Maybe if it had been challenged it would have made a big difference and, again, shaken up some of the more hardened cynical views. 

Doesn't really feel like the onus was on him. 

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

Was the Switch OLED the product placement in the show (episode 2)? We tend to watch it on telly via the C4 website and you get a big sign at the start of programmes telling you there is product placement in a programme.

It’s tricky with this because I guess any of the games are product placement really, but that Switch bit really reeked of it.

Also the Switch seems to crop up in Hollyoaks with alarming regularity when they aren’t playing their made up game ‘Combat Raiders’, it’s the most obvious product placement I’ve spotted on there other than Vinted or Alexa.

No. Occulus (sorry, Meta) Quest stuff is the product placement. The Switch OLED stuff was a review, pretty sure they wouldn't get away with doing product placement like that. My guess is Biglime just really likes the Switch OLED and of course he's entitled to say so in a review. 

The gamesmaster guy posted nothing except a flier that basically said "Hello fellow gamers! Noob! Kapow! am I right?!" and nothing and else and got treated with exactly the distain that deserved before flouncing having never posted any text.

That the series may or may not have ended up watchable doesn't change it was a shit post and a shit reaction to being called on it.

38 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The gamesmaster guy posted nothing except a flier that basically said "Hello fellow gamers! Noob! Kapow! am I right?!" and nothing and else and got treated with exactly the distain that deserved before flouncing having never posted any text.

That the series may or may not have ended up watchable doesn't change it was a shit post and a shit reaction to being called on it.

This stinks.

17 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

No. Occulus (sorry, Meta) Quest stuff is the product placement. The Switch OLED stuff was a review, pretty sure they wouldn't get away with doing product placement like that. My guess is Biglime just really likes the Switch OLED and of course he's entitled to say so in a review. 

But they didn’t feature the Oculus Quest in that episode did they?

I guess it may just be they boiler plate the programmes whatever the content for ease - trying to spot the product placement is one of many things I enjoy about Hollyoaks, and I’m sure there are loads of eps that have nothing in despite the warning.

Just caught up with this and enjoyed it immensely. It had just the right tone between being silly, entertaining and informative. Top marks all round, I thought Rab did a great job as did all the presenters and of course, the Gamesmaster himself. Hope they get renewed for a longer series, they've done the original proud.

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

But they didn’t feature the Oculus Quest in that episode did they?

I guess it may just be they boiler plate the programmes whatever the content for ease - trying to spot the product placement is one of many things I enjoy about Hollyoaks, and I’m sure there are loads of eps that have nothing in despite the warning.

Didn't watch it that closely, so not sure - they definitely used a Quest in one episode. I assumed that was what the product placement notice was about, but I guess there might have been more. 

21 hours ago, Vimster said:

Firstly I will hold my hands up and say I was pretty sceptical of this and was probably part of the tide of cynicism that drove the guy away. Now I'm not going to say this is a defence but going by previous attempts at copying the GM formula, and gaming-related TV in general, it's not surprising people were not convinced. We've thankfully all been proven wrong and I'll bet that has shaken some assumptions re gaming on television. It would have been nice if the guy had made an attempt to counter the mockery though. Maybe if it had been challenged it would have made a big difference and, again, shaken up some of the more hardened cynical views. 

ha, why should he have persevered any more against a horde of sarcasm

There is no greater insult than registering on rllmuk to tell us about things we might legitimately be interested in. That guy just wanted one thing - to gauge our level of interest in a Gamesmaster reboot. What a fucking bastard, pardon my french.

36 minutes ago, K said:

There is no greater insult than registering on rllmuk to tell us about things we might legitimately be interested in. That guy just wanted one thing - to gauge our level of interest in a Gamesmaster reboot. What a fucking bastard, pardon my french.

Didn't do that, joined, posted an advert written by an idiot, never followed up, had hissy fit.