Jump to content
IGNORED

Channel 4 rebooting GamesMaster?


Clipper
 Share

Recommended Posts

Boy did we hound the original thread’s guy off the forum with spectacular entitlement. Most of us aren’t the primary target audience anymore. This will probably be all tiktok and shit. We’re too old and should just die already before we suffocate any more people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/09/2021 at 09:44, Smoothy said:

  

 

3rd series was every weekday 6pm (IIRC).  Monday was "The Eliminator 1", Tuesday and Thursday I can't remember but one of them was "Barry's Joypad" - that show that he did with David Walliams (yes the David Walliams), Wednesday was "The Eliminator 2" (which I did), and Friday was "Beat The Elite" where the winners of The Eliminator 1 and 2 played each other at Cash Dash at the beginning of the show and the winner gets to play against the Videators.

  


OK, first stage was "Sudden Death" to pair it down from 8 to 4 - I got paired with another boy and had to win to progress. 

 

 

Second round was Turbo Toons - essentially like any other top-down racing game:
 

 

Third round was Earthworm Jim 2 warp (wormhole) stage:
 

 

 

Final game was my game - Super Street Fighter II, but not on the Super NES - on the Megadrive:
 

 

And then we filmed Friday's show on the same day - I played Monday's champion at "Cash Dash" - this is actually the second take.  I'm sure we got the highest combined amount of coins in the series ever (twice):
 


And then there was GamesMaster - my sister is the 3rd kid while I was the 5th kid:
 

 


Pumping my fist at the screen at 4am chanting Smoothy! Smoothy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Meat said:

Boy did we hound the original thread’s guy off the forum with spectacular entitlement. Most of us aren’t the primary target audience anymore. This will probably be all tiktok and shit. We’re too old and should just die already before we suffocate any more people.


We are the only audience who would ever (hate)watch this though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Meat said:

Boy did we hound the original thread’s guy off the forum with spectacular entitlement. Most of us aren’t the primary target audience anymore. This will probably be all tiktok and shit. We’re too old and should just die already before we suffocate any more people.

 

He wasn't hounded at all, he posted "Hi fellow gamers!" and got very lightly teased about it before throwing a paddy and deleting all trace having not engaged at all. The post was essentially drive by spam.

 

But yes, every sign is this is going to be horrific. It'll be, at best, a sanitised celebrity driven attempt to recapture the original which will please no-one.

 

Either they should go full tilt 2021 and ignore us (good luck finding enough young'uns who actually watch TV) or actually make a show for us (good luck finding enough of US who watch TV) rather than "Lol aren't gamers nerds" which is what his original pitched seemed to be.

 

It's almost like calling it gamesmaster is a bad idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

"negotiations".....

 

DP: "Can I please be on it, I'm the one and only Games Animal. I was the true face of Gamesmaster back in the day and not just a bloke in a bandana who's a bit shit at games, honest"

C4: "No"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/09/2021 at 10:18, Dudley said:

 

He wasn't hounded at all, he posted "Hi fellow gamers!" and got very lightly teased about it before throwing a paddy and deleting all trace having not engaged at all. The post was essentially drive by spam.

 

But yes, every sign is this is going to be horrific. It'll be, at best, a sanitised celebrity driven attempt to recapture the original which will please no-one.

 

Either they should go full tilt 2021 and ignore us (good luck finding enough young'uns who actually watch TV) or actually make a show for us (good luck finding enough of US who watch TV) rather than "Lol aren't gamers nerds" which is what his original pitched seemed to be.

 

It's almost like calling it gamesmaster is a bad idea.


I presumed he just realised all the sarcastic comic store guy types on here wouldn’t make decent telly 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The GamesAnimal YouTube channel is all faintly tragic. I was generally feeling a little bit sympathetic about it along with his apparent efforts to shoehorn himself into the GM reboot - middle aged gamers still feebly attempting to recapture past glories being something many of us in these parts can perhaps empathise with - but that didn't last long when I saw him still earnestly discussing how he was stitched up for that fucking Mario challenge in YT comments from only a couple of years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Giddas said:


I presumed he just realised all the sarcastic comic store guy types on here wouldn’t make decent telly 😄

 

We'll find out when the Digitiser the show kickstarter goes live tomorrow... :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, hmm said:

The GamesAnimal YouTube channel is all faintly tragic. I was generally feeling a little bit sympathetic about it along with his apparent efforts to shoehorn himself into the GM reboot - middle aged gamers still feebly attempting to recapture past glories being something many of us in these parts can perhaps empathise with - but that didn't last long when I saw him still earnestly discussing how he was stitched up for that fucking Mario challenge in YT comments from only a couple of years ago.

 

GamesPartridge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Dave Perry still delusional then? Middle age hasn’t given him a the reality check that he’s always made children cringe and has no actual talent? 

 

Maybe he was really fucking good at Milk Race on the ZX Spectrum, and his negotiations with C4 are holding him back from redeeming himself from the Mario 64 'incident' because the target audience has probably never played Milk Race, let alone heard of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GUYS! GUYS! I CAN GET PRIORITY TICKETS TO GAMESMASTER!!!!!! 

 

Had this email from SRO Audiences:-------------------

GAMESMASTER

The iconic video gaming series GAMESMASTER is back after 23 years, and you are invited to watch it being recorded LIVE! 

You’ll visit a dramatic location in Thamesmead, South East London where contestants will battle it out in a series of epic gaming challenges for the ultimate prize - the golden joystick. If you like your Nintendos or your Segas, your Playstations or your XBOXs, this is the show for you!

If you would like to join us at 7pm on Monday 4th, Tuesday 5th or Wednesday 6th October 2021 for a night of excitement, then apply now!

 

If you would like to join us for an evening of excitement, then apply now via our website at http://www.sroaudiences.com and as you have a priority note, when you apply using the email address & postcode which we have on record for you, we shall spot the priority note and use it to allocate you your priority tickets!

-------------------------------------------

 

I don't actually want tickets to see Gamesmaster, also it's being recorded over 200 miles away from my house.

It's interesting to see that it's recording next week though, I hope Mr Perry can negotiate his big dollar deal and rider before then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cubik said:

GUYS! GUYS! I CAN GET PRIORITY TICKETS TO GAMESMASTER!!!!!! 

 

Had this email from SRO Audiences:-------------------

GAMESMASTER

The iconic video gaming series GAMESMASTER is back after 23 years, and you are invited to watch it being recorded LIVE! 

You’ll visit a dramatic location in Thamesmead, South East London where contestants will battle it out in a series of epic gaming challenges for the ultimate prize - the golden joystick. If you like your Nintendos or your Segas, your Playstations or your XBOXs, this is the show for you!

If you would like to join us at 7pm on Monday 4th, Tuesday 5th or Wednesday 6th October 2021 for a night of excitement, then apply now!

 

If you would like to join us for an evening of excitement, then apply now via our website at http://www.sroaudiences.com and as you have a priority note, when you apply using the email address & postcode which we have on record for you, we shall spot the priority note and use it to allocate you your priority tickets!

-------------------------------------------

 

I don't actually want tickets to see Gamesmaster, also it's being recorded over 200 miles away from my house.

It's interesting to see that it's recording next week though, I hope Mr Perry can negotiate his big dollar deal and rider before then.

 

I'm not saying they're bad writers but...

 

"night of excitement"

 

"evening of excitement"

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh god I missed that.

 

Also 2 manufacturers and 2 model names.

 

Tbh, the whole thing reeks of not knowing exactly who they're targeting. Like they've got the option of making Gamesmaster now, ignoring the past, for the same age range audience or making it for the "lol, remember when Sonic was good" crowd and can't decide.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

‘Nintendos and Segas’ 

 

Sounds like my mum trying to talk about these new fangled TV electronic things circa 1990. 

Brings back memories of those gamestation ads where they were miming bits from the game and the staff had to guess what it was. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.