IGNORED

Channel 4 rebooting GamesMaster?

Clipper

Did they always have the losing gamers fall into the abyss using the dodgy graphics? I loved that bit.

My son was really drawn in by the Educating Grado bit, he's been talking to me this morning about adaptive music :) 

I liked the mix of contestants and audience - quite diverse but unashamedly geeky. This couple on the right looked like they had ended up in the audience for the wrong show :D They are probably massive gamers, if so fair play to them!

gamesmaster.jpg.69d4816e6b680f2acfd81191d2107212.jpg

Enjoying this.  Rab is absolutely perfect for the host, and I like the fact that it’s been made with a lot of love but also in full acknowledgment that a gaming TV show in a world where Twitch and YouTube exist is kinda ridiculous.  

There’s something off about the fact that the contestants are adults who are in on the joke, I’m nostalgic for bemused school kids being served up for mockery.   

Yeah this is harmless fun. I did find myself laughing more than I expected, it’s bizarre (and funny) seeing Trevor McDonald getting giddy at the sight of people falling to their death.

and good on Rab for calling bullshit on that celeb who claimed they had only ever played the first tombraider as it was the easiest one. 

That was so much better than expected, I'd even go so far as to say it was as good as I'd hoped. Ty can sod off, but the rest was fine. Rab and Sir Trevor were perfect, I had no idea who the "celeb" was, but that's nothing new, and then

Spoiler

A WILD BIG BOY BARRY APPEARED!

Consolevania stuff? +1

Cruis'n Blast recommendation? +1

Full self-awareness? +3

I'll definitely carry on watching, which is not really something I thought I'd be saying at this point.

Like many here I had my doubts initially, and yes I was pretty vocal about it. However after watching this I'm glad to say this turned out a damn sight better than expected. It's self-aware but not to a nauseating degree, and Rab is spot-on as the host, he knows his stuff but let's it inform what he does rather than shove it in your face, potentially putting people off. So it's pretty accessible. Sir Trevor gets puts a pitch-perfect performance in, he's fantastic, with a dry sense of humour. 45 minutes its pretty long but nothing outstayed its welcome. Frankie Ward was perfectly fine but Ty Logan looked like he was trying a bit too hard. It could have been so much worse yet this is worth a watch at the very least. 

2 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Enjoying this.  Rab is absolutely perfect for the host, and I like the fact that it’s been made with a lot of love but also in full acknowledgment that a gaming TV show in a world where Twitch and YouTube exist is kinda ridiculous.  

There’s something off about the fact that the contestants are adults who are in on the joke, I’m nostalgic for bemused school kids being served up for mockery.   

Indeed...

Watched a bit a lunchtime and it was an odd experience.. .not quite sure what audience its pitched at... middle aged gamers that have been around gaming for a while and remember the original? This would make sense as most kids just hit YouTube these days.

Never really liked gaming shows on TV always felt a bit cringy. Probably because I don't really like watching people playing games... I like actually playing them myself! :D I think the only one I remember being half decent was with Andy Crane and Violet Berlin - Bad Influence? I think I actually liked that one as they did little spots and previews on upcoming gaming hardware and covered a bit more stuff. GamesMaster though has always been a bit cringy IMHO - can't put my finger on it but the this one feels the same as the old ones...  :) Watching the guy playing Beat Saber for example... it all looked well... a bit sad. Even his Dad was looking embarrassed I think... And the guy playing Mario.... anyway.... lets say it fits the GamesMaster mould from what I remember of the show... :D 

Difficult subject are to make a TV show on though... so good effort.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, I felt it was a reboot done in the right way and made me think back to how I used to react to GamesMaster challenges on TV back in the day. A good length of time to boot also!

How does it work for the licensing of showing games though? I remember Dara O'Brien's Go 8-Bit had that issue didn't it?