IGNORED

Channel 4 rebooting GamesMaster?

Clipper

Why is there confusion over the target audience? Didn't Rab essentially say it's for "middle aged saddos, like myself" though I also accept the choice of "celebrities" doesn't help with that tone. It did give me a kind of Top Gear vibe though

3 minutes ago, wev said:

Why is there confusion over the target audience? Didn't Rab essentially say it's for "middle aged saddos, like myself" though I also accept the choice of "celebrities" doesn't help with that tone. It did give me a kind of Top Gear vibe though

:D Fair enough.. .To be honest skimmed the video a bit. Might watch the full episode tonight. Like Rab's previous work on YouTube... 

6 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

There is Mortal Kombat 11, with all the gore that entails.

What, really? What time is this planned to go out, or are my vague notions of pre- / post-watershed hopelessly outdated in our digital age?

I actually would like to watch this with my daughter but that would be pretty far outside acceptable content.

5 minutes ago, MattyP said:

:D Fair enough.. .To be honest skimmed the video a bit. Might watch the full episode tonight. Like Rab's previous work on YouTube... 

I wasn't aiming that comment at you in particular though.

A few things, again, the "celebrities" I've no idea who the Instagram guy was nor the woman off the radio, though I don't think getting Mortimer, Whitehouse or that bloke off Walking Britain's Lost Railways (favourite shows of mine) would work either.

And yeah, the bloke on Beat Saber felt a bit Star Wars Kid to me, though the expression on his dad's face got the biggest laugh of the show from me. Still, at least they didn't go on TikTok and get one of the thirst traps that play Beat Saber on there...

1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

I thought this was ace. Tongue perfectly in cheek but never in a smug way. The MK11 fight between the two stupidly named brothers at the end was genuinely tense. Who'd have thought this could possibly be good after that press release, eh?

I had a feeling that the twins are good enough at MK11 to stage most of that fight for the cameras but the ending was still very entertaining.

Spoiler

His defeated but amused cry of "FRIENDSHIP!?" genuinely made me laugh.

I hope this goes to a full series and lasts. I'd happily watch it every week.

I’m pretty flabbergasted at how good that was. Rab and Trevor were perfect, Frankie maybe a bit too verbose in the commentary but still good. The sense of humour was excellent and it was genuinely funny in places. I liked how Sir Trevor wanted everyone to die in flames. The only thing I wasn’t into was Ty, as he’s a bit too ‘innit bruv’ for my middle-aged ears.

A star is born here with Rab, I think, if this goes mainstream.

2 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

I would say a parent and their 9 year old  kid is the target audience.  

Yeah, it's pretty much like the original in that. Some slightly edgy jokes that go over the weans' heads for the parents (and students). 

Even the MK segment was pretty heavily edited to avoid showing the most gruesome stuff (which 9 year olds love anyway of course), but I'd maybe turn it off at that point if you are concerned. The rest of it is totally fine for kids.

2 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

Sure, objectively, Ty Logan was a bit rubbish, but in that way that Simon Amstel, and Miquita were the first time they were on TV. He's clearly very inexperienced, but he was up for making a fool of himself, is clearly witty and the VR segment ran the line between mocking and enjoying perfectly. There's talent there.

I can really imagine that if this gets enough episodes, he finds his voice and becomes a really good presenter/comedian.

I suspect a lot of the people working on this will be getting their break, and if given backing and time, they'll become brilliant.  So no doubt it'll get cancelled unfairly.

With Rab taking main presenter duties and Frankie being main commentator it left him in a tricky spot. They were both so good as well. Rab was born to do this.

I liked Ty during the Beat Saber bit, plenty of other presenters could have been snide and nasty there. I liked the co-op game with them all messing about on couch too. As you say he will get more comfortable if the show is given a chance.

I loved everything else. Especially the Gamesmaster/Games World collision in the celebrity challenge. 

8 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

I would say a parent and their 9 year old  kid is the target audience.  

I think this is spot on.

I was pleasantly surprised, Rab Florence was great, Trevor McDonald was great and having Frankie Ward, someone who both knows games and how to present in an engaging manner was a definite upgrade from the awkward journos of the original who didn’t have any broadcast experience.

I suppose the only bad bit of sorts is that when you watched it way back when in pre internet times you’d get to see exciting new video footage of games that hadn’t even come out yet that you couldn’t afford anyway rather than just pictures in a monthly magazine, so all the actual bit game footage in this is all stuff you know very well, I expect.

Kids today don’t even know they’ve been born.

I was optimistic for this show, but wasn't sure if it would just be C list celebs going challenges.

But with the review and segment, it really did feel like a toned down Consolevania, rather enjoyable.

Did get all nostalgic when that intro music kicked in, excellent stuff.

15 hours ago, deerokus said:

Yeah, it's pretty much like the original in that. Some slightly edgy jokes that go over the weans' heads for the parents (and students). 

Even the MK segment was pretty heavily edited to avoid showing the most gruesome stuff (which 9 year olds love anyway of course), but I'd maybe turn it off at that point if you are concerned. The rest of it is totally fine for kids.

Jokes that younger kids aren't even going to register are obviously fine but I'd have to wonder if they'd be showing even as much of MK as they did if it was being broadcast on terrestrial TV before 9pm (which presumably it would, if it was ever promoted from E4). They did reduce the gore a bit and probably instructed the players not to use a regular fatality but still, for example, kept in several seconds of one of the characters clearly plunging a drill into the other's eye socket and blood jetting out, while the co-presenter approvingly described exactly what was happening. I mean, I don't want to get all Mary Whitehouse up in here, but that's not especially cool if they're aiming for parents that remember the original to watch this with their relatively young children. It also just seems like a completely unnecessary choice, in the very first show of a limited run, if the audience is supposed to include 8/9 year olds.

(A further digression: it's generally a bit of a bug bear on these digital platforms that it's often hard to even tell what the suitability of something is for children. BBC iPlayer, for example, doesn't seem to have thought about this at all. Unless you stick to a kids profile and only choose programmes from there, it seems like the only way of telling is to check what time it was originally broadcast.)

35 minutes ago, schmojo said:

@Darwock Quite a few pcvr games have a mixed reality mode for streaming, but I think they might require the additional Rift tracking cam or a supported additional webcam.

4 hours ago, Darwock said:

How exactly did they get the external camera during the beatsaber challenge? Obviously the guy was in front of a green screen but how did they adjust the game visuals so we could see it in action?

The show is sponsored by Oculus quest (meta now) so I bet they got access to some internal stuff they use for marketing to do that shot.

2 hours ago, hmm said:

Jokes that younger kids aren't even going to register are obviously fine but I'd have to wonder if they'd be showing even as much of MK as they did if it was being broadcast on terrestrial TV before 9pm (which presumably it would, if it was ever promoted from E4). They did reduce the gore a bit and probably instructed the players not to use a regular fatality but still, for example, kept in several seconds of one of the characters clearly plunging a drill into the other's eye socket and blood jetting out, while the co-presenter approvingly described exactly what was happening. I mean, I don't want to get all Mary Whitehouse up in here, but that's not especially cool if they're aiming for parents that remember the original to watch this with their relatively young children. It also just seems like a completely unnecessary choice, in the very first show of a limited run, if the audience is supposed to include 8/9 year olds.

Completely agree with this.  I watched it and thought it's something I'll sit down with my two boys to watch and will do the same with the next episodes - until it got to the MK11 part at which I realised I'm going to have to watch the whole episode each time before I show them so I can skip over stuff that's unsuitable.  A bit of a shame, when they could have found a similar match-up for Street Fighter VI or something.

29 minutes ago, Gabe said:

This definitely isn't aimed at kids in terms of scheduling, it's on at 10pm isn't it?

Nothing about this show is aimed at kids at all, I have no idea how anybody can think is is. It 100% trades on both nostalgia and being targeted at bored 40-somethings who watched it when they were teenagers. No child or teenager would ever willingly watch this in 2021 unless mum/dad was forcing them to do so.