Retro Gamer Issue 224 - Feel the N64 Love

jdanddiet

1277074955_retrogamersubscription.thumb.jpg.071dddd9e2cd5f9b5aada7869d7f7a88.jpg

Subscribers are getting theirs now, this is in the shops shortly.

Main feature The Nintendo 64. Everyone loves Goldeneye, right?

Also:-

History Of Dizzy

Making of Castle Master

In The Chair Matt Furniss

Making of Litil Divil

Ultimate Guide Double Dragon II

Making of Ghosthunter

Collector's Guide to Neo Geo Pocket Color

Archive Falcom

Plus more and all the regulars

I enjoyed the N64 article, especially the bit about how the console being 64-bit was effectively marketing, in that no games ran in 64-bit mode. I would say that it’s full of technical jargon that isn’t explained, so that you get someone from Rare talking about NURBS or Giles Goddard talking about 64 bit double floats to illustrate some point, and I have at best a vague idea of what point they’re making. The NURBS paragraph was particularly impenetrable. It would be great if articles like this included a bit of context and explanation of these terms, or even if they just used examples that the educated layman could understand. 

An article like this that focuses on how the N64 hardware improved on what went before is always going to be quite technical, and the information in there is fascinating, but it would be even better with some more explanation. 

36 minutes ago, K said:

I enjoyed the N64 article, especially the bit about how the console being 64-bit was effectively marketing, in that no games ran in 64-bit mode. I would say that it’s full of technical jargon that isn’t explained, so that you get someone from Rare talking about NURBS or Giles Goddard talking about 64 bit double floats to illustrate some point, and I have at best a vague idea of what point they’re making. The NURBS paragraph was particularly impenetrable. It would be great if articles like this included a bit of context and explanation of these terms, or even if they just used examples that the educated layman could understand. 

An article like this that focuses on how the N64 hardware improved on what went before is always going to be quite technical, and the information in there is fascinating, but it would be even better with some more explanation. 

We'll keep that in mind going forward. 

10 hours ago, K said:

I don't definitely don't know what nurbs is!!! But it was one of the best N64 articles I've read, I really like that they have started talking to developers etc. Btw Giles Goddards story is probably worth an article on its own. How a British kid ended up programming for Nintendo is fascinating.

Non Uniform rational b-spline is a fancy way of drawing curves in computers. Using maths to describe the curve*

my favourite bull shot was when they tried to claim that curved pipes in unreal used nurbs. They didn’t.

* or is that bezier?

It is B-spline :)

I didn't know N64 could do them. I'm surprised they didn't take off more in games. It was good future proofing of models. 

Oh, while I'm posting. We're still using 32 bit floats for 3D today. (additional: more for the storage, you probably want to calculate on a double :) )