IGNORED

Pathfinder: Wrath of the righteous

ravnaz

I'm not a huge fan of D:OS2's combat. It has a number of problems for me, everyone getting a teleport and spells including like random scorpions just feels off and I think the physical armor/magic armor mechanic is hugely limiting to builds, to name a few.

I much prefer Pathfinder, D&D and Pillars of Eternity's models. I think those games can be fun in both tabletop and video games for different reasons. That said I do think Pathfinder is overtuned and is assuming the majority of its audience is going to be made up of players who know the systems and have fun building with that knowledge, because imo, it is a lot of fun making builds when you have that knowledge especially with the tools Wrath of the Righteous gives you with the Mythic Paths.

Wow, the crusade mode has made the game grind to a complete and utter halt. Any interesting momentum the story had built up has been totally destroyed by this nonsense, boring, bullshit mode. My army keeps getting battered because whilst it is level 3, all then demon armies and forts are level 5. I just tried my luck against a level 5 fort and one of the enemies one shot my archer unit - 75 soldiers died instantly, wiping out the unit completely. I can't do anything with the normal game mode as all quests are now locked on paths behind these stupid pissing demon forts and my army isn't strong enough to get past them, there's no way to level up my army to get stronger and I've run out of resources to resupply my army and get new troops. What a bag of dicks. Completely ruined the game, imo. 

You can't mod it out, I don't think, but you can set it to auto complete but doing so locks you out of side quests, some of the best gear and, apparently, the 'secret' ending, so you can't really afford to put it on auto.

I managed to brute force my way through it - it seems recruiting a fireball chucking mage as the general was far better than the defensive orientated dwarf fighter I had. The mage can almost one shot most enemy units at or around the same level with fireball. The following proper missions were excellent and almost almost redeemed the fucking terrible hour I'd spent prior :lol:

On 10/01/2022 at 23:36, Zael said:

I'm not a huge fan of D:OS2's combat. It has a number of problems for me, everyone getting a teleport and spells including like random scorpions just feels off and I think the physical armor/magic armor mechanic is hugely limiting to builds, to name a few.

I much prefer Pathfinder, D&D and Pillars of Eternity's models. I think those games can be fun in both tabletop and video games for different reasons. That said I do think Pathfinder is overtuned and is assuming the majority of its audience is going to be made up of players who know the systems and have fun building with that knowledge, because imo, it is a lot of fun making builds when you have that knowledge especially with the tools Wrath of the Righteous gives you with the Mythic Paths.

Having played both D&D 5e and Pathfinder, which itself is an offshoot of I think D&D third edition, I can say that although Pathfinder allows far more freedom with building characters and stuff, it’s also a heck of a lot more complex than 5e - needlessly so, imo. 5e is a far better system, overall, although I know a few friends who think it’s far too “dumbed down” compared to pathfinder. 

8 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Having played both D&D 5e and Pathfinder, which itself is an offshoot of I think D&D third edition, I can say that although Pathfinder allows far more freedom with building characters and stuff, it’s also a heck of a lot more complex than 5e - needlessly so, imo. 5e is a far better system, overall, although I know a few friends who think it’s far too “dumbed down” compared to pathfinder. 

Yeah I agree I prefer 5th edition as well. If you haven't seen it before check out Solasta: Crown of the Magister. It's a crpg made for 5th edition. Its not the most polished thing in the world but I enjoyed it a lot purely on the back of the ruleset.

I know what you mean about friends calling 5th edition dumbed down. I think if you're used to the older rule sets like 3rd edition or AD&D then you like going into great detail on builds and multi-classing etc. The way 5th edition does everything for you certainly limits that side of the game for sure. 

Yeah I should caveat what I said with “I’m still relatively new to both” when it comes to 5e and Pathfinder so my opinion comes as someone new trying to learn both systems, as opposed to anyone with any authority on the subject! 

There were things I still didn’t properly understand completely in Pathfinder after a year and a half of playing it once a month - stuff like how crits work (you don’t automatically crit on a natural 20, you have to roll again and beat the enemy’s AC a second time and then you multiply way more than just the dice, and also you can crit on anything from  a roll of 17-20 on some weapons), or how death works (if you lose your con score in health once downed or you get hit hard enough to take you below your con score, you’re dead dead). This last one was particularly annoying as it got my alchemist character killed in one hit with no chance of doing death saves etc. I can’t remember the exact figures, but let’s say I had 60 health and a con of 16, this giant hit me for 80 in one hit and killed my character stone dead.  it was a shitty death to some crappy giant, it was literally the first attack of the fight and of the night, that wouldn’t have happened in 5e. My party didn’t have a way to revive me so I had to sit there doing nothing for the rest of the the 3 hours session and it really soured me on the whole Pathfinder experience. 

42 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Yeah I should caveat what I said with “I’m still relatively new to both” when it comes to 5e and Pathfinder so my opinion comes as someone new trying to learn both systems, as opposed to anyone with any authority on the subject! 

There were things I still didn’t properly understand completely in Pathfinder after a year and a half of playing it once a month - stuff like how crits work (you don’t automatically crit on a natural 20, you have to roll again and beat the enemy’s AC a second time and then you multiply way more than just the dice, and also you can crit on anything from  a roll of 17-20 on some weapons), or how death works (if you lose your con score in health once downed or you get hit hard enough to take you below your con score, you’re dead dead). This last one was particularly annoying as it got my alchemist character killed in one hit with no chance of doing death saves etc. I can’t remember the exact figures, but let’s say I had 60 health and a con of 16, this giant hit me for 80 in one hit and killed my character stone dead.  it was a shitty death to some crappy giant, it was literally the first attack of the fight and of the night, that wouldn’t have happened in 5e. My party didn’t have a way to revive me so I had to sit there doing nothing for the rest of the the 3 hours session and it really soured me on the whole Pathfinder experience. 

Yeah I think I'd go mad trying to play Pathfinder on tabletop. Even playing Kingmaker & WotR it took me a long time to fully understand all the different forms of AC bonuses and how they stack with each other and how touch attacks differ from normal attacks etc. I've been DMing 5th edition for about 6 years now and I still have to google how restrained is different to grappled. I don't know how Pathfinder DMs do it!

Act 2 done. Last quest was great, although there were some nasty bits. One mob cast negative levels on my main character and killed her. Had to reload! 

Some spoilers:

Spoiler

I went into Drezen via the dungeons only to be betrayed by that historian halfling. 

I went with the angelic path. It was a toss up between that and Azeta and Angelic seemed to come with more toys - despite my character being a staunch atheist.

After the battle the queen chided me for not being a great crusader leader and getting too many of my army killed - not sure why or what I’d done/not done to get that reaction, given she’d not said anything at all prior  

I still haven’t gone back after getting to the Crusades.

I will, but I haven’t yet.

Instead started my first (ever) playthrough of Witcher on PS5… but it’s surprisingly ugly. So might just buy it again on PC where I can at least mod it and get a decent framerate…

My tip for the crusades: get a mage for a general, load up on archers, go round one shorting everything. Once I learned that, I smashed through every crusader fight and fort I came across that were my level +/- 2

I just fought a deskari devastator which was ridiculously hard for my level (level 9). It’s spell resistance was so high none of my party’s spells could do anything so I relied on my archer, rogue and paladin getting lucky rolls to overcome its ridiculously high AC and slowly whittle it down. My paladin died completely (thankfully I had a dragon scale to bring her back), my rogue and mage both died but were on “death’s door” (a condition where if they die again they’re gone, like my paladin was). Was stupidly difficult but managed it anyway!