IGNORED

The Forgotten City

macosx

If you're playing this on Game Pass on PC and are wondering why you're getting random stuttering and areas where your GPU goes mental and the frame rate tanks, simply set resolution scaling to 100%. The option appears to be completely broken and it causes the game to randomly eat all of your VRAM and then system RAM if you try to use it to reduce internal resolution. If you need to drop resolution down you'll need to set the actual resolution instead. PC gaming eh.

This was quite a compelling little game. Kept me up until the early hours trying to finish. I think the "action" parts are rather weak though, and it doesn't really do that much with the core concept

Spoiler

The time looping is kind of just a set up and only forms the basis for a couple of major puzzles.

What is here is nicely done and put together though.

I've done something unheard of, and completed a game in a single day. Did it over two sessions and I thought it was brilliant - and the extended scene for the canon ending was quite poignant, I thought.

So refreshing, and cleverly negated the repetition of tasks that might've otherwise have bogged things down (and also wove that into the narrative in a smart way.)

Best game I've played all year ;)

4 hours ago, Marzipan Travolta said:

What is it that he does? I couldn't work it out.

Spoiler

He let's Duli out, who immediately steals something, thus triggering the Golden Rule. 

The soundtrack for this was playing in my sleep, there's a piece which is particularly lovely, it reminds me a piece of music from the Matt Smith Doctor Who era, and has a haunting quality to it.

Came across a really unfortunate quest and immersion breaking bug earlier (big spoilers):

Spoiler

Persuaded Maliolus not to run with blackmail so that he'd free those indebted to him, and then unlocked a dialogue option to tell the suicidal boy that he and his lover (or was it his sister, can never tell with these Romans) were free. But she hadn't been cured of poison yet so he proceeded to wander down to the temple of Apollo and tell the wonderful news to her corpse. Funny, but not sure intentional :lol:

It's definitely still quite a rough around the edges kind of experience in a lot of ways, but I'm still enjoying it.

I'm about an hour into this and have unlocked half a dozen quests but haven't made much progress in any of them as I've just been rooting about and exploring. It's pretty compelling, even if I haven't quite found my groove with it yet. Definitely feels a bit like Skyrim, but I guess that's to be expected.

I'll play some more tomorrow and report back.

I’ve been playing this for the last couple of days and it took a while to get its claws into me but now I’m completely hooked in that “thinking about how to solve it when not actually playing it” way, which is always a good sign.

Right, so that's endings 2 and 3 done. Now just trying to mop up the last few leads to hopefully get ending 4. I've no idea how I missed ending 1, or what it would be, but I might see if I can get that too. Game of the year so far!

Ending 1 is actually pretty logical, if you think about it, and the easiest to achieve; it was (appropriately enough) the first one I got, maybe an hour into the game. I shan't say anything to spoil it, but hopefully that narrows the possibilities enough for you to guess at it!

Well, knowing what I know now, it could be

Spoiler

simply accusing Sentius of being the rule-breaker without going through the rigmarole of finding Sentilla first.

I know it's not just failing to get to the portal because I've managed that a few times already!

23 minutes ago, Darren said:

Well, knowing what I know now, it could be

Reveal hidden contents

simply accusing Sentius of being the rule-breaker without going through the rigmarole of finding Sentilla first.

I know it's not just failing to get to the portal because I've managed that a few times already!

Spoiler

But what if the portal was never opened?

Mate, this game is the tits. I was a bit unsure to begin with, but once it gets its hooks in then there's no going back. I think I'm getting towards the end now:

Spoiler

I've discovered that Sentius has locked up his daughter and I've got three of the the four plaques.

I don't want it to end, though. I can feel a 1000/1000 coming on.

I forgot to say, I finished this yesterday with the canon ending (4) then went back and mopped up ending 1. Absolutely brilliant.

It probably says something about me or at least the way I play games, that despite the hints on this page, and despite the fact that endings 3 and 4 are triggered by

Spoiler

Sentilla killing Sentius

it STILL didn’t occur to me to just

Spoiler

kill Sentius

and I ended up having to look it up! :rolleyes:

On 06/01/2022 at 22:49, Jamie John said:

Mate, this game is the tits. I was a bit unsure to begin with, but once it gets its hooks in then there's no going back. I think I'm getting towards the end now:

Reveal hidden contents

I've discovered that Sentius has locked up his daughter and I've got three of the the four plaques.

I don't want it to end, though. I can feel a 1000/1000 coming on.

And done! I thought this was very good. I got all four endings and 985/1000 of the Gamerscore. I've posted some more thoughts in the Completed Games thread:

Great stuff - a definite recommend from me if you enjoy adventure or detective games :)

On 08/01/2022 at 00:31, Jamie John said:

I got all four endings and 985/1000 of the Gamerscore.

I decided to go back to this tonight and pick up the final achievement while listening to a podcast. Only took me about 40 minutes.

Screenshot_20220110-215225.thumb.png.326209bb4c5042871307351b009ae14b.png

Excellent!

11 minutes ago, spanx said:

So I finished it, ending 4. Can you just go back to your save and try for other endings or do you need to start from scratch each time?

Brilliant btw, loved it

You should just be able to go back to a previous save.

Finished this today getting endings 1,2 and 4 (and going back for 3) today. I love time loop games in theory but they always end up being too big, having too many characters and too many moving parts. The small city and roster of memorable characters makes it a manageable puzzle box. The addition of a mechanic that removes one of my major frustrations with time loop games, having to run around like Marty McFly creating your critical run, and instead 

Spoiler

delegating

makes this a time loop game that respects your time! I loved it and had I played it before putting together my game of the year list it would have been in my top three easily.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Yeah that "feature" was genuinely surprising and delightful.

Agreed.

The way the 

Spoiler

delegation

mechanic fits into the narrative is clever as well: it's something you have to do

Spoiler

in order to get the men to vote in Galerius as magistrate, and in turn to allow you to access the plaque from Duli's cell so you can unlock the best ending. In fact, the first time I completed the game after I'd got Prosperina's crown and started the loop again, I just skipped past Galerius and went straight for the temple. Then, when you get sent back to the future and talk to the folks in the museum, quite are few are missing because I didn't tell Galerius to fix their problems and round them up.

On ending:

Spoiler

The final ending that is

Spoiler

I never got Prosperina's crown. I now know you can get it and that's one way to finish the game and get the true ending, but I

Spoiler

Successfully talked Hades down and persuaded him that he had been morally wrong all this time, through an extensive dialogue tree that was both well written and has reasoning that would have made Chidi of The Good Place proud. First try as well!

In regards to the cannon ending there's something very ironic in the fate of one of the characters. Don't read this is you haven't seen ending 2 or 3 AND ending 4.

Spoiler

Sentius in ending 2/3 reveals his motivation in living the same day over and over again as rendering him immortal. In ending 4 Sentius is notable by his absence. If asked Sentia vaguely says something about how her and her sister did something when leaving that left him stuck as a golden statue in the city, probably slowly going mad.

Taken at her word it comes across as one of those stories where someone gets what they want, just not in the way they wanted. Like an ill worded wish to a genie. In this case Sentius is effectively gets his wish to be immortal but is also cursed with being immortal as a statue. He is doomed to live out the threat he makes in endings 2/3 "I will be here long after you are but dust."