IGNORED

The Forgotten City

macosx

Yeah there are a few subtle things like that that have raised the game in my estimation since finishing it, on reflection. It's why it's my favourite written game of 2021.

31 minutes ago, Benny said:

On ending:

Hide contents

The final ending that is

Hide contents

I never got Prosperina's crown. I now know you can get it and that's one way to finish the game and get the true ending, but I

Hide contents

Successfully talked Hades down and persuaded him that he had been morally wrong all this time, through an extensive dialogue tree that was both well written and has reasoning that would have made Chidi of The Good Place proud. First try as well!

That was my ending too

I started this the other night and it's intriguing so far, but it seems really glitchy. I keep getting strange clues pop up in my quest log that don't seem to relate to anything I've done, it doesn't seem to save my settings (I have to invert aim every time I play), and I get weird non-sequiturs when playing.

Like, 

Spoiler

while wandering around, I stumbled across a woman called Octavia scrubbing the floor outside a house. I had a quick conversation with her, which was interrupted by her noticing a man killing himself by throwing himself off a cliff, and running up to stop him. Once he'd fallen, the lady came back and talked to me as if nothing had happened, at which point I was propelled off the cliff and died. I reloaded and tried again, but afterwards, there were no options to talk about what had just taken place.

I get that it was made by a very small team, so I don't want to be too dismissive. Is it just something you need to take into account when playing? The dialogue seems a bit BBC programmes for schools in terms of the fruity actors and the way people explain their lives and roles, but the setting is pretty interesting.

I also had the issue with the game forgetting the invert aim setting each time, but none of the other problems you described. I thought the game was pretty solid given that it was essentially the work of a couple of people.

16 minutes ago, K said:

I started this the other night and it's intriguing so far, but it seems really glitchy. I keep getting strange clues pop up in my quest log that don't seem to relate to anything I've done, it doesn't seem to save my settings (I have to invert aim every time I play), and I get weird non-sequiturs when playing.

Like, 

Reveal hidden contents

while wandering around, I stumbled across a woman called Octavia scrubbing the floor outside a house. I had a quick conversation with her, which was interrupted by her noticing a man killing himself by throwing himself off a cliff, and running up to stop him. Once he'd fallen, the lady came back and talked to me as if nothing had happened, at which point I was propelled off the cliff and died. I reloaded and tried again, but afterwards, there were no options to talk about what had just taken place.

I get that it was made by a very small team, so I don't want to be too dismissive. Is it just something you need to take into account when playing? The dialogue seems a bit BBC programmes for schools in terms of the fruity actors and the way people explain their lives and roles, but the setting is pretty interesting.

It's a rough game, and also far, far from perfect in almost every manner - and that includes the areas where it's best LIKE THE WRITING - but you should absolutely persevere as it is very, very cool when it all comes together. 

I've not really posted about this game despite finishing it. It is really, really great whilst they're are so many things in the game that are so very, very bad but it just seems to get a free pass from the severe rllmuk judical system. 

Just now, Kevvy Metal said:

they're are so many things in the game that are so very, very bad but it just seems to get a free pass from the severe rllmuk judical system. 

I can't think of anything I'd describe as "very, very bad" in this game. Like, at all. I mean it shows its origins as a Skyrim mod a bit and things like the character animations lack AAA polish but really what do you expect? It's basically created by one person FFS. It's a clever, well-written game that completely absorbed me for a few days and I wouldn't change a single thing about it.

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I can't think of anything I'd describe as "very, very bad" in this game. Like, at all. I mean it shows its origins as a Skyrim mod a bit and things like the character animations lack AAA polish but really what do you expect? It's basically created by one person FFS. It's a clever, well-written game that completely absorbed me for a few days and I wouldn't change a single thing about it.

Three people developed it, and why care about my subjective issues with the game if you liked it so much?

It does seem a little bit ropey, even down to stuff like not supporting Quick Resume. It's weird how quickly you get used to being able to start a game near-instantly, but at this stage having to sit through several unskippable idents is like having to load a game off a tape. I'm happy to forgive that given the low-budget nature of the game, but I was more wondering if the technical aspects affect the important bits, i.e. the detective / storytelling elements.

13 minutes ago, K said:

It does seem a little bit ropey, even down to stuff like not supporting Quick Resume. It's weird how quickly you get used to being able to start a game near-instantly, but at this stage having to sit through several unskippable idents is like having to load a game off a tape. I'm happy to forgive that given the low-budget nature of the game, but I was more wondering if the technical aspects affect the important bits, i.e. the detective / storytelling elements.

They don't affect the important bits no, unless you consider clunky dialog and acting. 

• 3 weeks later...

I finished this off this week, and thought it was really good. Without wanting to criticise it too much given how small the team was, it is indeed quite rough round the edges - you have to be quite forgiving on the technical and aesthetic sides sometimes, and the writing is often quite clumsy. Generally speaking, it feels a bit like you've gone to some Roman World theme park, with out of work actors reeling off their expository dialogue ("My name is Sextus. I am a slave. Born in AD12 in what is now modern-day France, my duties include..."), but the broad-strokes characters and overall lack of cynicism means it's quite charming, and I was pretty attached to the characters by the end. I went with ending 2, 4, and 3 (in that order), and had to look up ending 1 because I was too stupid to figure it out.

I went through the whole thing wondering whether they'd resist the urge to 

Spoiler

go with a sci-fi explanation for everything, and it was even money as to whether they'd go for an ancient astronauts / Assassins Creed sort of thing, or whether the gods would turn out be AIs in the future or something. Fantasy / historical stuff that turns out to be sci-fi is a guilty pleasure of mine, so I had a huge grin on my face when I went through the white hallway, even though the ensuing barrage of exposition went on forever.

Generally, it was really good though. The breadcrumb of clues and items that leads you through the game is clear enough that I rarely got stuck, but not obvious enough that I felt I was being led through by the nose, and I always had something new to try, some new information to give someone, and some new place to explore. The only real negative is that I would have liked more of the puzzles to depend on time manipulation, rather than using items you'd taken with you, but the ones that were there were imaginative and clever.