Alan Wake - Remastered (October 2021 Tramp Gamers Need Not Apply)

moosegrinder

• moosegrinder changed the title to Alan Wake - Remastered (October 2021 Tramp Gamers Need Not Apply)
4 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Will Alan be less of a prick now ? The most dislikable game protagonist ever. 

I don’t have a lot of memories of Alan Wake. I remember liking it but at the same time being slightly let down after all the hype (like most of Remedy’s games, actually), but one memory I do have is this. He was such a knob. 

16 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

It ran infamously shit on (then widespread) single-core PCs. It’s that old.

I may have mangled this in my now-old and rapidly decaying mind, but thought it was that when they announced the game (2005!) they made a big thing about how it wouldn't run on single-core processors, which was bold and forward-looking at that point, but by the time it actually came out requiring a multi-core processor was about as cutting edge as requiring an SVGA card. And that the "tramp gamers take a hike!" subtitle of the original thread remained for pretty much the entire five years between announcement and release.

13 minutes ago, K said:

I may have mangled this in my now-old and rapidly decaying mind, but thought it was that when they announced the game (2005!) they made a big thing about how it wouldn't run on single-core processors, which was bold and forward-looking at that point, but by the time it actually came out requiring a multi-core processor was about as cutting edge as requiring an SVGA card. And that the "tramp gamers take a hike!" subtitle of the original thread remained for pretty much the entire five years between announcement and release.

This. And the original thread creator - I forget his name - was genuinely pissed off that his relatively new and expensive single core PC wouldn't be able to run it. Thus his claim that Remedy saw all single core owners as "tramp gamers" who "needn't apply" and should "take a hike". By the time the game actually released, multicore CPUs were common as shit, so his righteous anger and indignation were rather funny.

To add to that, originally we had thread titles with optional subtitles. Remember? So the full Alan Wake thread title was originally:

"Alan Wake: tramp gamers take a hike!

Single-core PC's need not apply"

Then a forum update removed the option to have thread subtitles. So the Alan Wake thread was left as "Alan Wake: tramp gamers take a hike!" Without the subtitle this left new users wondering whether the game was originally called "Alan Wake: Tramp" which could very well be the case because "take a hike!" describes the gameplay perfectly. Is Alan a tramp though?

I’m down for this. I hope they increase the bizarro facial animations, if anything, and crank the visuals up so that it can’t even run on a Series X - you need 4 Series Xs linked together. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

I don’t have a lot of memories of Alan Wake. I remember liking it but at the same time being slightly let down after all the hype (like most of Remedy’s games, actually), but one memory I do have is this. He was such a knob. 

I read this as an Alan Wake voiceover monologue for some reason.

I really hope they give you the option to turn off the ridiculously bright white constant objective text at the top left of the screen. I mean it's quite a linear game really and I don't need it stuck there reminding me. 

Yeah the PC version is pretty solid but the 360 original runs at like 540p or something and sub 30fps so it'll be a huge upgrade for console players (and playstation owners seeing as they are getting it for the first time)

I remember being blown away by the movement of the trees in that opening screen you posted. Such a cool game and when you master the dodge mechanic the combat really opens up. I never got the criticisms of it being repetitive at all, every encounter is enemy and resource management intensive so I never found it dull or boring. Alan definetely needed to spend less time sitting on his arse writing and more on the treadmill though his cardio is abysmal :lol: should have made him a chronic chain smoker or something 

They could do some cool stuff with the triggers and speaker on the dualsense too. I'm really looking forward to the reveal.

I played through this just recently on PC (it was free on Epic) as I loved Control and was PS3 only back in them days so I never played it originally and wanted to see what the fuss was about. Held up very well in that super-clean 'old game playing in a now ridiculous resolution' way, gameplay still felt good. (Also gave me some crucial backstory as to why XBox gamers are so obsessed with AA batteries).