IGNORED

Alan Wake - Remastered (October 2021 Tramp Gamers Need Not Apply)

moosegrinder

Spoiler

'It's not a lake, it's an ocean'

is far too opaque an ending to the main story for me. I much prefer the ending The Writer provides.

I agree The Signal isn't an especially great episode though, it can get pretty frustrating. I think The Writer shows how Remedy could really push the sequel in all sorts of different gameplay directions rather than the fairly one-note gameplay of the main game.

Edited by Darren
Ending spoiler

On 10/10/2021 at 11:48, Thor said:

I have a feeling @df0 is going to hate The Signal. It's shit. It takes the worst element of the game - the combat - and turns that up to 11 with bullshit encounters where you can't tell what's hitting you or where from - even on easy it's possible to die through no fault of the player. Total bullshit.

Yup, pretty much.

Took a wee break to finish up Ni No Kuni 2 (which is flippin' charming). I'll return to Alan Wake soon enough.

Picked this up for PS5. I can imagine back in 2011 (?) this would have been incredible but the combat has not aged very well, especially when you get attacked from behind by people you didn’t even know where there. Also, not having a separate dodge button is annoying and seems counter-intuitive.

THAT SAID it’s been enjoyable otherwise and I’m looking forward to unravelling the mystery and finding out about the town in all its slice of Americana weirdness.

The worst bit of Alan Wake has been reading @Majora’s spoiler just now on a remaster that came out less than a week ago. Ffs.

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

Picked this up for PS5. I can imagine back in 2011 (?) this would have been incredible but the combat has not aged very well, especially when you get attacked from behind by people you didn’t even know where there. Also, not having a separate dodge button is annoying and seems counter-intuitive.

THAT SAID it’s been enjoyable otherwise and I’m looking forward to unravelling the mystery and finding out about the town in all its slice of Americana weirdness.

The worst bit of Alan Wake has been reading @Majora’s spoiler just now on a remaster that came out less than a week ago. Ffs.

Is that really a spoiler…I mean it won’t even make sense until you near the end of the game.

Actually it doesn’t even really make a huge amount of sense when you’ve completed the game, which is why the writer dlc is essential content.

And really the actual ending to the game is really in the AWE content on Control which is little more than a teaser for a sequel.

The Writer is much better. Still not too certain what the hell is going on. Loved everything about the entire game but the combat, that part never elevates beyond barely adequate.

Recommendation: play it on Easy.

I was going for plat but since that requires Nightmare mode I’m done.

I love that the pacing in this is so pitch perfect, episode by episode. No one seems to chunk singleplayer games into pleasing 60-120 minute arcs these days. Also, episode 2 ending on a perfect 2000s alt rock song is just magnificent.

The episode 2 ending track is excellent and fits so well.

I’m enjoying the story - about halfway through episode 4 now - but my god the actual gameplay part isn’t much cop. Especially when the game starts throwing objects at you. The havok physics are well named in this case. I got half my health taken out when I walked over a floorboard and it sprung up and hit me.

6 hours ago, Strafe said:

I got half my health taken out when I walked over a floorboard and it sprung up and hit me.

I love that canonically, every dense thing that happens in this game is something Alan Wake wrote in the manuscript in his borderline Garth Merenghi prose.

But yeah, it absolutely feels like an 11 year old game. Dodging makes Alan lunge around like a drunk on a cobblestone street.

I’m really struggling with this. Played it years ago on 360 and was really looking forward to playing again, but good Lord does this feel old and dull. I’ve played one chapter and that’s all I can cope with. 

This is going to be sold immediately.

The one trick gameplay doesn't hold up over the course of the full game, but I do enjoy the mechanics of it. Rather than sit and rinse it straight away, I'm returning to it between sessions of Crysis 1/2/3 and they're proving quite a good accompaniment to each other. Can't knock the atmosphere and storytelling though, it's worth coming back to for that alone, but as I say, I do like the core gameplay, they just needed to spice it up a bit.

Just feels so ponderous to me now. I wish they could have come up with something better than him having the stamina of a dead asthmatic though. 

But that intro coming into the town on the ferry is still one of my all time favourites. 

Finished my first playthrough last night on hard, took 11 hours according to my profile, it's a lot longer than i remembered. I was pretty thorough though (88 thermoses - obviously not thorough enough!)

Will do the DLC then jump back in on Nightmare to get the rest of the pages and collectibles.

Can't wait for the second one ;)

I really liked the ideas they had in this prototype video - at 3:05 the way the enemies interact with the scenery around you made it looks much more dynamic.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished my playthrough of this after loving it on original release. It's not for everyone I know but it introduced me to Remedy at the time and I admittedly gush over this game. 

From the story itself which is a constant twisting journey the first time through to the Twilight Zone esque Night Springs on the TV's, it's just brilliant. 

The use of the soundtrack as well is just stellar stuff and got me addicted to Poets of the Fall at the time through their songs under the Old Gods of Asgard. One particular section was obviously laying the groundwork for what would eventually become the Ashtray Maze section in Control. 

Yea, just love it and came here to say so lol no other reason really. If you haven't played it yet, you should, case closed.

I bought this on release and have have only played the first four chapters so far. I still like it a lot but I think it really suits just playing a chapter a week or something. If you binge it I think it's easy to burn out on the combat whereas a couple of hours a week keeps it enjoyable.

I forgot how rubbish bits of it can be though, to honest. I hope they ditch the encounters which are just bits of furniture and tractors being chucked at you. The flocks of birds can go as well.