“Collectors” are the worst….

CovisGod

Not quite the same though is it?

Just another point on the not quite the same graph that runs right from playing Sonic on a keyboard on a java webpage emulator to "Real hardware on a 14" CRT" mind. 

I can't promise to have rinsed everything, because I'm shit at games, but I certainly have the SMS stuff to play.  Which is partly why a few of them are cart only that I have given a new box and sleeve. Not "collector" but game. :)

4 hours ago, Dudley said:

Not quite the same though is it?

Just another point on the not quite the same graph that runs right from playing Sonic on a keyboard on a java webpage emulator to "Real hardware on a 14" CRT" mind. 

You’ve lost me a bit there. Playing a rom is identical to using an actual cartridge (assuming original hardware).

Playing a CD rip is the same as using an actual CD. 

What’s not the same?

1 hour ago, Camel said:

What’s not the same?

The ceremony and procedure, the atmosphere.

Picking the game case out. Perhaps refamiliarising yourself with its hand drawn, hand painted box & manual art. Reading the blurb. Gently micro-wiggling the cart out of its cozy confines and optionally giving its edge connector a soft yet firm rub with an alcohol-drenched cotton bud, before finally massaging the package into place & flicking the power switch on.

Different journey to the same destination.

Right, but that’s more of a reply to this than to my post isn’t it:

6 hours ago, ulala said:

at least in retro gaming you can still play the game that’s too expensive using a rom on original hardware for free . The experience is identical.

You don’t get that with other collectibles 

Plus you’re preaching to the choir.

So. If playing a rom or image on original hardware is considered the same as using a cartridge or disc as per the above, then yes, you do get that with other collectibles. eg, music and films.

edit: I think I see. If I assume Dudley’s post about it not being quite the same is a response to ulala’s post about roms rather than to my post about music then everything makes sense and I can stop being confused.

Yes, you can’t entirely replace the experience of using actual media. It’s why I still occasionally load a game from tape.

I guess so.

But I'm not sure how I feel about analogies with music. To me they're not particularly comparable; I value my tapes, vinyl and CDs much more than video games and don't believe that, say, listening to a digital rip of a record or tape yields the same experience as listening to the analogue original (I mean the actual listening experience - not the ceremony and ritual leading up and surrounding it). Even if it's lossless. The formats themselves have distinct qualities that cannot be replicated by eachother - not totally unlike different console formats. 

I'm aware this is not a popular view and also I think I might have shitted this thread up, so, err sorry about that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/09/2021 at 11:11, Don Wiskerando said:

With regard to tape or vinyl, it's the little defects that add to the experience, that make it mine and trigger memories. Listening to the same track on spotify just doesn't have the same effect.

I actually use little defects in game packaging as proof that the item I’m buying is likely genuine.

When someone sells something ‘as new’ and it looks like it hasn’t been touched it instantly makes me suspicious that it may be a repro. 

Yeah. Also my copy of penguin land has a child's drawing on the manual and I actually love that.  I like that some kid played it and presumably loved it.  And now it's somewhere else where it actually gets played and indeed has made it into a couple of youtube vids.  Which given it's a US copy means it's had quite a life.

It's silly but that's more "collectors" to me than a mint copy is. 

19 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Yeah. Also my copy of penguin land has a child's drawing on the manual and I actually love that.  I like that some kid played it and presumably loved it.  And now it's somewhere else where it actually gets played and indeed has made it into a couple of youtube vids.  Which given it's a US copy means it's had quite a life.

It's silly but that's more "collectors" to me than a mint copy is. 

A "true collector" would probably have thrown that out as damaged. Sometimes it's about more than resale value, it's about emotional value, something with a story. It's great when you buy games and someone has put clippings from magazines with game tips, or game notes, maps etc. As you say it shows the games were played and loved. 

Check this out, it’s a sealed PAL Half-life on PS2, but it appears the buyer has paid for shipping to the USA. It appears they are infiltrating our market as well now. There were a few others that had US shipping on them including a sealed Futurama.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bfl/viewbids/124836840632?item=124836840632&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Edit: Not that I’m arsed about them buying from over here, more fool them, and besides I’ve been raiding the Japanese market for over a decade.

This stuff about 'true collector' sounds a bit "not a real gamer" to me. If somebody wants to buy something and never play it - but gets an emotional response to it whenever they look at it, then so what?

How many people try to collect complete libraries for a system? I wouldn't believe anybody who would say it's because they genuinely loved and wanted to play every single game - but supposing you did, if you have any rare games that you perhaps played for 10 minutes and realised it was rubbish, is that any better than somebody who played the game back as a kid who now just wants to enjoy owning it (but doesn't want to play it again)?

I mean, in most instances I'd say collecting is based on an emotional response (be it nostalgia or something else) versus just buying games you loved and want to play again.

I would agree that buying purely for the sake of hoping to generate future value is something else though. 

14 hours ago, phillv85 said:

Check this out, it’s a sealed PAL Half-life on PS2, but it appears the buyer has paid for shipping to the USA. It appears they are infiltrating our market as well now. There were a few others that had US shipping on them including a sealed Futurama.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bfl/viewbids/124836840632?item=124836840632&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Edit: Not that I’m arsed about them buying from over here, more fool them, and besides I’ve been raiding the Japanese market for over a decade.

they relished it

id be interested to see how many of their auctions 3*****n has bid on, I think it’s a classic case of “shillings to push the price up, and then relist with a BIN”

49 minutes ago, SeanR said:

they relished it

id be interested to see how many of their auctions 3*****n has bid on, I think it’s a classic case of “shillings to push the price up, and then relist with a BIN”

Possibly, I think these are destined for slabbing though.

3 hours ago, Gabe said:

This stuff about 'true collector' sounds a bit "not a real gamer" to me. If somebody wants to buy something and never play it - but gets an emotional response to it whenever they look at it, then so what?

How many people try to collect complete libraries for a system? I wouldn't believe anybody who would say it's because they genuinely loved and wanted to play every single game - but supposing you did, if you have any rare games that you perhaps played for 10 minutes and realised it was rubbish, is that any better than somebody who played the game back as a kid who now just wants to enjoy owning it (but doesn't want to play it again)?

I mean, in most instances I'd say collecting is based on an emotional response (be it nostalgia or something else) versus just buying games you loved and want to play again.

I would agree that buying purely for the sake of hoping to generate future value is something else though. 

I don't deny that for some people it's all about the thrill of the hunt, tracking things down, going to expos, car boots and the like, dealing with some nutter on FB marketplace and finding that game you've been after for maybe years. That's fair enough. I don't think people are necessarily saying collectors are wrong, it's just at odds with the sort of people who have a different sort of passion, one for the experience of playing games. And it is important to separate the investment-minded collectors from the completists. 

For me personally it's about games and how they make you feel, the memories attached to them, where they stand in the history of games, and less about having all the games, and I'll admit to some slight resentment that it's mainly collectors who make it difficult to pick up some games, but that's just my tough luck. Again, they're not doing anything wrong, but it does feel at odds to how I personally associate with games. 

Investment collectors can do one though. 

7 minutes ago, MikeJ said:

Woah, an actual mint copy of Breath of the Wild? And it's sealed? Where does this guy get them from? Is there some magical website you can just log onto where you can buy this stuff and have it delivered to your house, still in its plastic seal, for £59.40, with free delivery within a week?

I'm dumbfounded by that one. I think it actually crosses the line from fucking stupid to "surely that's parody".

If he actually sells a game you can buy new in 100 condition at ten times that price for "85", whatever that means then good luck to him.

47 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I'm dumbfounded by that one. I think it actually crosses the line from fucking stupid to "surely that's parody".

If he actually sells a game you can buy new in 100 condition at ten times that price for "85", whatever that means then good luck to him.

It only takes one idiot to buy this, that's the problem.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

The cost for grading is added to the price. Currently the minimum cost of sending a trading card to PSA for grading is $150 + P&P meaning the lowest intrinsic value of a recently graded card would be at least that.

I’m not saying this guy spent £400 grading BotW but factors such as that will be used to add value to the sale price. These people will clutch at straws for things that can push up the price.

4 hours ago, Vimster said:

It only takes one idiot to buy this, that's the problem.

But one idiot won't make any difference in this case. There are still hundreds of thousands of other copies out there on sale for 50 quid and that price won't be affected if this sells for 500 quid will it? It has to be genuinely rare for a sale to push up the price.