Jump to content
IGNORED

Upcoming TV technology


Pob
 Share

Recommended Posts

I’ve been idly considering getting an LG OLED with 120hz and VRR support but tbh my Sony is absolutely fine for now.

 

VRR is definitely worth considering if more games start offering alternative frame rates, like Ratchet & Clank’s 45fps mode, though I can’t see over-60fps modes being much more than a curio for me for the near future. 
 

I was wondering what other things might come along in the next few years that might be worth waiting for. 

 

I guess there’s 8K, but let’s face it that’s going to be minimal help for games for a long time yet, and probably imperceptible even if it does become realistic. 
 

Expanded HDR maybe?

 

Digital Foundry have talked a lot recently about the unmatched motion handling and warm feel of top-of-the-line CRT. Is there something in the pipeline that will help with that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be honest I'd be happy with something as near to a CRT as possible, that is black blacks, high contrast, nice and bright, vivid image, no lag. Everything else is just guff. 1080p was "ooh look how sharp this image is", then 4k came along and that's "ooh look how sharp this image is". 8k? yeah whatever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone seen a CRT lately? I saw a wall of them in a charity shop a few years ago and it was one of the most excruciating thing I’ve ever seen. The flicker gives me a headache just thinking about it. They were also absolutely massive.

 

The jump to HD and 4K has been so much more than a res bump. People forget how utterly shit CRTs were in virtually every other way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Vimster said:

To be honest I'd be happy with something as near to a CRT as possible, that is black blacks, high contrast, nice and bright, vivid image, no lag. Everything else is just guff. 1080p was "ooh look how sharp this image is", then 4k came along and that's "ooh look how sharp this image is". 8k? yeah whatever.


CRTs didn’t have black blacks.

screen glow was a thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Has anyone seen a CRT lately? I saw a wall of them in a charity shop a few years ago and it was one of the most excruciating thing I’ve ever seen. The flicker gives me a headache just thinking about it. They were also absolutely massive.

 

The jump to HD and 4K has been so much more than a res bump. People forget how utterly shit CRTs were in virtually every other way.

I have a 28" Trinitron from the late 90s. It must have been the nuts back then as it has proper hi-fi sound (separate bass and treble speakers; the bass is immense) although the picture needs tweaking. Getting it into my flat was an absolute ballache. The thing weighs about 10 times a normal TV of that size, it nearly did my brother's back in shifting it. It's not the best TV but it does do old gear a lot better.

 

To clarify my point above: if they could take all the good things about CRTs like the contrast, response time etc, and get rid of the bad stuff like the size, that nasty super-high-pitched whistling that I do not miss one bit, static. That would be amazing. And I don't doubt they're working towards something like that. It'll never replace a good CRT as I don't expect new TVs to have SCART or similar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pob said:

I was wondering what other things might come along in the next few years that might be worth waiting for. 

 

I think overall, not a lot. I think we're at one of those points in the technology curve where the immediate improvements are all incremental rather than revolution. 8K or noticeably wider gamuts are all way off. HDMI 2.1, VRR and the like are where it's at for now. Maybe this panel will be a bit brighter or whatever, but nothing you'd be selling up for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pledge said:

Isn't the 40fps due to 120hz rather than VRR? The PS5 doesn't currently do VRR does it?

Yes, sorry it’s because 45 is a factor of  120 so suddenly becomes a new option in the absence of VRR. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope that idiotic Samsung Sero TV that can rotate into portrait mode — presumably so you can watch fuckhead “influencers” on Snapchat and other such bobbins platforms film themselves pretending to be important in portrait mode — dies horribly and very expensively (along with Snapchat, etc.). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

I hope that idiotic Samsung Sero TV that can rotate into portrait mode — presumably so you can watch fuckhead “influencers” on Snapchat and other such bobbins platforms film themselves pretending to be important in portrait mode — dies horribly and very expensively (along with Snapchat, etc.). 

 

Sounds amazing for vertical shmups.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Quest said:

 

Sounds amazing for vertical shmups.


It does, but I fear that will account for 0.00001% of the use cases and all we’ll get is more content filmed in portrait. 
 

EDIT: … as it’s USP is that it mirrors your phone for social media bullshit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, pledge said:

40... 😆

lol. I think I’m getting confused by the Digital Foundry video that said that the 40fps was exactly halfway between 30 and 60fps in terms of frame timings. Or something. I don’t really understand but it made sense when I watched it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pob said:

I’ve been idly considering getting an LG OLED with 120hz and VRR support but tbh my Sony is absolutely fine for now.

 

VRR is definitely worth considering if more games start offering alternative frame rates, like Ratchet & Clank’s 45fps mode, though I can’t see over-60fps modes being much more than a curio for me for the near future. 
 

I was wondering what other things might come along in the next few years that might be worth waiting for. 

 

I guess there’s 8K, but let’s face it that’s going to be minimal help for games for a long time yet, and probably imperceptible even if it does become realistic. 
 

Expanded HDR maybe?

 

Digital Foundry have talked a lot recently about the unmatched motion handling and warm feel of top-of-the-line CRT. Is there something in the pipeline that will help with that?

 

Boring answer but I just want this tech to mature now. I want to be able to upgrade my telly and home cinema without it either costing me a bomb or being a ballache making sure it actually supports the right specs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Next up is microled giving us OLED blacks with led brightness, but I think we’re reasonably into the diminishing returns territory. Nothing is ever going to give me “visit the Panasonic tv of the future showcase in Tokyo in 2013 feeling when I’m still on mid level consumer 2015 technology at home” feeling the future kick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve tried 120fps. I can’t see (or feel) any difference from 60fps but it does have the added bonus of making me feel sick.


Low lag is important for gaming but apart from that, you just get used to whatever fancy new stuff they’ve included and stop noticing it. You don’t actually enjoy it more. My TV does HDR but I can’t say I notice whether it’s on or off. It might just be that it’s bog-standard HDR. I dunno.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, footle said:

Next up is microled giving us OLED blacks with led brightness, but I think we’re reasonably into the diminishing returns territory.


MicroLED is amazing at massive screen size installations but I’m not sure it will be scalable down to commercial 40-60” screens. Each pixel of resolution requires a single LED red, blue, green. Per pixel. At 4K resolution that’s over 8 million individual LED arrays. OK for massive screens, but how do you make LED’s that small for consumer products? On the plus side, there’s talk of making these TVs modular, so you just buy multiple devices and stick them together to get a bigger TV or a higher resolution. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I’m being cynical I can see TVs going the same way as Amazon Fire tablets, where you can get it “cheaper” if you buy the version with the adverts on it, and allow data collection, etc.

 

Holographic TVs would be cool, although maybe just another fad like 3D turned out to be. 
 

As TVs get progressively bigger, I’d imagine more “arty” screens will become the norm, to stop them overpowering our living rooms. TVs as furniture, like Samsung’s The Frame. Something that blends in, or can be hidden away easily when not in use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tbh whilst being considerably bigger screen wise than back in the CRT days, TVs take up way less room than they used to, the LG G series for example, it’s like an inch from the wall leaving you with much more floor space everywhere. Our old CRT was big and sat in the corner of the room on an also huge cabinet - the whole thing utilising about a quarter of the room. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Pob said:

 

I was wondering what other things might come along in the next few years that might be worth waiting for. 

 

 


Ultrawide perhaps? As in 21:9 rather than 16:9. It’s fairly popular in the PC gaming world and I think it’s a game changer. I play a lot of first person shooters though so I get some serious benefit but even things like RDR2 or Witcher 3 look remarkable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, rgraves said:

We're going towards smaller and more discreet - TVs that take up less space (and don' dominate the room) when you're not using them - stuff like the LG OLED R:

 

 

 

....£100,000....ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND POUNDS!!?!?!? :blink::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.