Eastward - Earthbound meets Castle In The Sky

Keyboard Koala

H2x1_NSwitchDS_Eastward_image1600w.jpg

Discover the weird and wonderful world of Eastward !

Climb aboard the cross-country railway and start an exciting new adventure eastward across a perilous landscape. Stop off to explore bustling cities, make strange new friends and take on ferocious monsters, as you fight your way through a deadly miasma devouring the lands.

Join John and Sam in their emotional journey across a world falling to ruin, while you meet a quirky cast of characters, encounter strange monsters and visit distant cities.

First announced back in 2015, Eastward will be a single player, dual character adventure RPG with puzzle-solving and dungeon elements.

The game features beautifully rich pixel art, created using a combination of modern 3D lighting and retro-pixel style artwork.

Developed by Shanghai indie studio Pixpil. 

Soundtrack composed by the amazing Joel Corelitz (from Hohokum, The Unfinished Swan, The Tomorrow Children ea.), with sound design from Irish studio Hyperduck Soundworks.

Debut trailer:

Launch trailer:

>>  Official website.

Looks absolutely lovely.

Releases later this month.

cbyHRmH.jpg

• Keyboard Koala changed the title to Eastward - Earthbound meets Stranger Things
13 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Analog synths and that

Yeah. And the neon/washed out lighting effects. Couldn't decide whether it was more Blade Runner or Stranger Things. But since the game wasn't grim enough for the former, and went for the latter.

But yeah Earthbound is already Stranger Things enough on its own.

Reminds me of a grungier Sword of Ditto (in terms of artstyle and locations shown thus far) and the puzzles from Code Cross (a game I have desperately, desperately tried to like ever since I bought it sight unseen). Though I've been burned more than a few itmes diving in on hyped indies so I'll be holding on for reviews.

Does anybody else see a game like this and just come away feeling incredibly anxious because there’s no way, surely, it could ever live up to their personal expectations? I desperately want to be wrong but I too have been burned enough times by now to dive in day one. 

There’s something about the nights drawing in that makes me want to replay Earthbound/Mother 3 though so I’d love to be very wrong here. 

On 10/09/2021 at 08:46, Yasawas said:

Does anybody else see a game like this and just come away feeling incredibly anxious because there’s no way, surely, it could ever live up to their personal expectations? I desperately want to be wrong but I too have been burned enough times by now to dive in day one. 

There’s something about the nights drawing in that makes me want to replay Earthbound/Mother 3 though so I’d love to be very wrong here. 

I must admit that I kinda agree with this.

When I first entered the thread and watched the trailer I got very excited. Then I was reminded about a fairly similar game I got for the PS4; Crossing Souls. 
Personally I found Crossing Souls a tad better than the general critics did (66% on meta) but it failed to live up to how cool the trailers made it look. 
Crossing my fingers that this will be better.

Looking at Metacritic, my review for NME is the only dissenting voice so far. I loved the visual design, the main characters and the dungeons. But really feel it's overly padded and slow-paced. It probably depends on how much you like the writing, because there's a lot of it.

If there was a 15-hour version with a tighter script, I think it would be one of my games of the year. At over 20 hours, I got a bit bored.

19 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Looking at Metacritic, my review for NME is the only dissenting voice so far. I loved the visual design, the main characters and the dungeons. But really feel it's overly padded and slow-paced.

And you loved 12 Minutes! Eastward must be really slow

• Keyboard Koala changed the title to Eastward - Earthbound meets Castle In The Sky