Eastward - Earthbound meets Castle In The Sky

Keyboard Koala

I'm loving this so far. I just chased a green pig through a forest and did some sci-fi. It's this delightful mix of Zelda and the Mother series. Sam is adorable. I love that John is a totally silent protagonist.

Lovely pixel art. A nice mellow soundtrack. I'm not sold on the combat yet. The frying pan feels a little short range for things like the snake plants and I haven't gotten used to swapping between the two characters in combat yet.

On 14/09/2021 at 20:16, BadgerFarmer said:

Looking at Metacritic, my review for NME is the only dissenting voice so far. I loved the visual design, the main characters and the dungeons. But really feel it's overly padded and slow-paced. It probably depends on how much you like the writing, because there's a lot of it.

If there was a 15-hour version with a tighter script, I think it would be one of my games of the year. At over 20 hours, I got a bit bored.

What's NME?

Anyway, I'm in chapter 2 and there's quite some truth in what you say. Lovely art style, charming locations and nice audio - but it's TOO slow for my taste, especially as the first few dungeons and the combat system are only okay. Nice bosses though.

5 minutes ago, alex3d said:

What's NME?

Anyway, I'm in chapter 2 and there's quite some truth in what you say. Lovely art style, charming locations and nice audio - but it's TOO slow for my taste, especially as the first few dungeons and the combat system are only okay. Nice bosses though.

New Musical Express. 

nme-cover-2021-chvrches-cover@1080x1350.

Branching out into video game reviews, I guess? :lol:

EDIT: Shit, I was taking the piss but it turns out they totally are! https://www.nme.com/gaming 

This is very sweet. Sam is adorable and it has surprisingly good writing. 

I understand the talks of it being slow but I seem to remember earthbound having a similar level of just pottering about?

I'm at the second area too and enjoying it's laid back pace now I'm embracing it more. 

Although I think the fighting is a bit clumsy, I'm almost just blundering into the fights because you end up getting hearts relatively easily. 

I'm hoping it all gets a bit deeper and I think it will to some extent. 

43 minutes ago, alex3d said:

Who the FFFFF came up with that forest escape idea? I died 20 times already and am still not through.

Edit: and then they give you New Dam City 😍

I was just about to post about how annoying that bit is myself. I died almost every other screen. Good that you can continue from the start of most screens but it's so poorly done I was convinced I was doing it wrong somehow. 

I did like that it wasn't another boss fight but oof, it's so awkward. 

Although yes, new dam city is then a cool location. 

It's quite a strange game really. 

Yeah, you really need to be in the mood for a game like this. I've accepted it as a slow-moving game to relax with (mostly), but am not too convinced of how it all will come together story-wise.

• 2 weeks later...