Your avatar in games, do you go for "looks like you"?

b00dles

As a spin off from the saints row thread, I was wondering what people normally do with a character creator in game?

If my character appears as I've dressed them and picked facial features in cutscenes (not just a standard model- which is pretty uncommon these days but wasn't the norm when saints 2 did it) I always and without fail will pick the most ludicrous combination of hair/ clothes, tattoos whatever. A friend of mine wouldn't pick a clothing item while we were playing co-op the ascent because it looked too silly, even though it had slightly better stats. I'm the total opposite - all about stat boosts and preferable if it looks completely stupid. 

In cyberpunk I kept on upgrading some very daft clothing items just because it amused me in the cutscenes. 

What's the general consensus? 

I stick with the default, every time.

The main reason being that virtual dress-a-doll ain't my thing.

The secondary reason: I rarely play anything online, but when I do, I like to lull the opponent into a false sense of security by appearing to have only just loaded up the game for the first time. They'll be the most outrageous bad-ass thing imaginable, and I'll be this generic guy in a t-shirt and jeans.

It's an interesting thing really because I'm in a way actively taking myself out of the game by making my avatar look daft but it genuinely makes me chuckle and more often than not, an unprompted laugh is often better than the majority of game cut scenes these days as it is. 

See also; jumping around, crouching under things, optional throwing around of items if I've got control during a cut scene. 

I'm still dying for the day when my totally stupid antics is picked up on properly by the NPCs "can you please stand still, I'm trying to tell you the deeply harrowing back story of my people and/ or dying relatives and you've been doing nothing but smashing my pots ".

It varies a lot.  Default with a couple of tweaks for most games.  Really ugly/absurd character if my interest in a game's cutscenes is low.  My Elite Dangerous character looks a lot like me, but with my hairline from a decade ago. 

I really wish I could change the character in Fallen Order. I'm not proud of this, but I hate his face.  Every time I see it I want to unsee it.

I used to. I even came pretty close in Fight Night on the 360. I also tried in one of the Saints Row games and ended up with a character that was my brother. It didn't just look like him, it fucking was him. Cut scenes were hilarious.  :lol:

I'd rather games waste my time with a pointless character creator than go the Forza Horizon route, where you have to choose your avatar from a miserable selection of twenty-something ASOS models. Boring shite.

Sometimes. I think for GTA Online and THPS I tried to use me as a basis… only a more fashionable and attractive version of me :P If the game premise is more absurd (say, Akiba’s Trip) then I have a bit more fun.

I usually spend a little time trying to get a resemblance. Bald, blue eyes and strong. 😏

I loved it when you could use the 360 camera in some games to capture your face. Was quite good on EA golf and hilarious on Rainbow Six.

I peaked with Test Drive Unlimited on the Xbox 360 where I managed to create a character so uncannily like me that everyone who saw it thought I’d managed to scan in my face or something. It was genuinely creepy. 

Nowadays, fearful of summoning Alternative Garwoofoo from whatever dimension he resides, I usually just go with the default, but move their eyes really close together out of spite. 

I almost always create the foxiest female avatar I can for myself. I will take penalties to look as sassy as fuck.

I get enough of me on a day-to-day basis. Why would I want to play as that? Also, it's what I'm going to be looking at whilst I play. Might as well be looking at something nice, rather than a fat, middle-aged, unshaven man, who is starting to go grey. (Do any character editors do realistic "starting to go grey" hair colors anyway? I.e. largely natural colour, but with just enough greys to be visible.)

The only exception is in something like the old Harvest Moon games where I know there will be wooing involved. I'd rather woo women, so I have to be a bloke. In Stardew Valley though, you can be a woman and woo one, so that's a win-win. "Woo" might be one of the best words. Woo!

I generally just pick not a white dude (so not looking like me). I’ll always pick a female character if I can, so in a lot of games I end up being a black woman, but sometimes I’m a black or Hispanic guy. Occasionally I’ll just go for whatever the default is. I quite like the dressing up though. 

I definitely used to default to white dude, though not looking like me usually. I spent hours making a Dark Souls 2 character who looked like David Mitchell and played that game as Mark from Peep Show, which I found endlessly amusing.

5 hours ago, Quest said:

I spend about two hours meticulously making someone I think fits with the game world and looks pretty swish, then the opening cutscene starts up and reveals that they actually look like a lumpy potato and I have to start the whole thing from scratch. 

Yes! Mass Effect is a good example of a game where a character can look great in the character creator, but awful in-game and in cutscenes. Once you pick a Shepard, you're stuck with them for the whole game. And that first cutscene is unskippable, so if you want to start again from scratch, you'll have a long wait before you can see if the second attempt looks any better.

Dark Souls kind of had the opposite issue. The first time I played it, I spent ages on the character creator, trying to get something realistic-looking, but not completely bland, and not just sticking to one of the presets. Then the game started and I found that my character spent almost all the time with a face covered by a helmet, or with the ugly zombie skin of a Hollow. :lol:

Depends on the game. Saints Row 2, I was on that for hours trying to make ridiculous characters. Went for a fat Cockney goth in the end but I fancy playing it again just to make something else.

I remember my girlfriend at the time having a go at the editor on Tiger Woods 2009 on 360. She immediately made her golfer's boobs as big as they'd go but said they weren't big enough.

In Tiger Woods 2005 on OG Xbox I wanted to make someone who could conceivably be The Devil, so he had a neat beard and very tall spiky hair, sharp face, arch eyebrows. And a Pringle golf jumper. He just looked great on the course, better than the weird interpretations of real golfers.

But if it's a fantasy RPG I will make some badarse warrior woman who has no time for idiots. Seems appropriate.

The last time I tried to make it look like me was Mass Effect 2. And it didn't. I then played the game again as a woman and that was more fun, so I tend to go for female characters now.

I also try not to spend too long on them. Once you get to the adjusting jawline or brow-size level of things, it's basically a waste of time - in most games you'll barely notice once you start playing. Adjusting hair style/colour and obvious visible elements like that is enough for me.