IGNORED

A new Little Big Adventure

Wiper

When playing Death's Door, the isometric layout, camera distance and surreal islands made me fondly remember LBA. 

But I have to imagine they'd need to overhaul the character movement and control to be almost unrecognisable, because it would be painful now. I'm definitely keen to revisit the world though.

I was quite young when LBA came out but loved them both to bits. With no internet and few gaming friends, I always imagined it to be some small, unknown fringe title.

It's rather nice to think of it as being so fondly remembered by lots of others as well. 

I think some defining characteristics – such as the modal behaviour switching – just don't make sense in a modern game. However, you could really expand on a concept like the Magic Ball for things like physics puzzles, having it gain new abilities as you progress that unlock access to new areas; for example, maybe you could manually control the ball and use it to access restricted areas via vents and such, then have Twinsen teleport to it once inside.

Basically, I think a 'faithful' sequel would do very little for most people. Mechanically speaking they really need to start fresh and consider what the originals were trying to achieve in terms of player expressivity, and how you would tackle that today, as opposed to recreating 25-year-old solutions.

On a related note, a Kickstarted symphonic soundtrack covering some tracks from the first two games was released recently:

You can purchase a physical or digital copy here.

I’m so happy to see this thread. LBA2 is probably my favourite game ever, and I replayed it recently thanks to GOG...found it held up very well. Such charm, character, imagination, originality, childlike innocence and wonder and great attention to detail in the worlds and NPCs. 

I’m very cautiously optimistic about this. 

• 3 months later...

Just seen this today on YouTube 😍

Just give me more of lba2 and that whole magical world.

I don't want to get too excited for this cos we know nothing about it yet but still... this is exciting news😍

Lba2 is just a game I can come back to every couple of years and complete again and again,the story ,the fantastic music,the worlds and character's along the way makes this one of the best games in history.

Like others have said though,the movement and camera needs a major overhaul.

Just hope it keeps all the charm

• 5 months later...

Was it just me who found LBA almost undeciphorably hard? I think I got quite a way in, but could just never tell if I was in an area I shouldn't be at yet, or if the game was just punishingly hard. I should go and watch a playthrough, I think.

It started very hard - you were thrown into a world where just getting from A to B was a challenge and killing enemies was impossible. But it did get easier as it went on - or at least, you understood death was baked in to the design and being killed lots was not you doing it wrong. I remember being really annoyed that running into something damaged you, but I think it got patched out of later versions.