Gran Turismo 7: 4th March 2022

p1nseeker

I want this game bad but that is a crap trailer and as piece of media to get keep us going it's a let down. We get to see more recycled content from GTS, recycled moments from the previous trailers, nothing new of note apart from the CLK and the Supra and the cherry on top it's bloody ages away. 

Meh out of 10. 

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/09/09/gran-turismo-7-arrives-on-ps5-and-ps4-march-4/

Livery editor is a headline feature...? Err ok. Where are the new tracks and cars? Ooh a new cup holder!

I get the feeling this is a bare bones update, a single player experience just bolted on to GTS and some spit and polish on the same game engine. 

If single player is to be a huge part of this then they need to build some AI because GTS has none. Having races where you start 3 mins behind a leader and it's a case of catching and passing cars that pose zero challenge doesn't cut the mustard anymore. 

Curious..

In addition to the return of the GT Campaign mode, our historic circuits like Trial Mountain* and High-Speed Ring* will be making a comeback.

* These features require internet connection. 

Circuits screen shot shows no tracks that aren’t already in GT Sport.

No mention of VR or online play or improved physics or AI.

Expectations set - low ;)

4 minutes ago, Corranga said:

No mention of VR or online play or improved physics or AI.

I expect VR will be patched in when PSVR2 gets a release.

Going to be interesting to see how Polyphony manage having the game on two different generations of Playstation. Although suppose technically it's like having two different PC builds as both are x86 architecture.

22 minutes ago, MattyP said:

I expect VR will be patched in when PSVR2 gets a release.

Going to be interesting to see how Polyphony manage having the game on two different generations of Playstation. Although suppose technically it's like having two different PC builds as both are x86 architecture.

A huge difference in CPU performance though. Hopefully they cut back the PS4 version, rather than trying to have any kind of parity with simulation and the number of cars on the grid.

Yeah ok. So we’re getting a better range of cars, dynamic weather and a couple of new tracks, I’m ok with that. Match that with lobbies, Sport mode and FIA races that we all know and love from GT Sport and I’m looking k with that.
 Let’s face it, bigger lobbies probably won’t happen as party size is limited to 16, but you never know.

No mention of physics which I’m fairly sure they’d have mentioned in the blurb so I guess it’s staying pretty much the same. Bit disappointing but in reality it’s pretty damn good already in the most part. Maybe this is the true cost of PS4 compatibility?
 I saw the CLK GTR Merc and an Alfa 155 V6 so those alone get me excited. 

If this is just an extension of GT sport then the only thing that will sell it to me is a fully fledged VR mode. If they intend to make this a successor to GTS then they need to fix the penalties (felt totally random most of the time when I was still playing) and if it’s intended to be primarily offline then they need to fix the AI.

They had been leaning heavily into the FIA-GT eSports side of things until COVID killed all the momentum, I wonder if they will transition the championships over to GT7?

9 hours ago, Junker said:

dynamic weather

I hope that is the case but I didn't read it that way initially.

From the blog:

The time/weather change simulation brought to life in GT7 is unique to Polyphony Digital, who researched the complexities of nature and tailored it into a video game. Referencing a massive amount of meteorological observation data, we have recreated spatial / time of day conditions for particle size distribution and concentration distribution of aerosol particles in the atmosphere on a global environmental scale, in a procedure that is unique to the Gran Turismo series. 

The validity of the simulation was checked using Scapes HDR images, for which we have accumulated data for several thousand spots all around the world. As a result, we have succeeded in expressing real and complex skyscapes and changes in light for different times of day and weather. 

My first interpretation is we can simulate lots of different weather conditions.

Hopefully 'change simulation' means weather that changes during a race, but you can read it a number of ways - like it's open to interpretation on purpose. Change could be you can change the weather for a race like you can at the moment - you pick rain, dry, overcast etc. Not that it changes dynamically mid race.

10 hours ago, layten said:

A huge difference in CPU performance though. Hopefully they cut back the PS4 version, rather than trying to have any kind of parity with simulation and the number of cars on the grid.

This 100%

6 hours ago, Darwock said:

They had been leaning heavily into the FIA-GT eSports side of things until COVID killed all the momentum, I wonder if they will transition the championships over to GT7?

I haven’t played GTS much recently but why did COVID kill the FIA-GT eSports, it seems that eSports really took off elsewhere?

I'm looking way too far into this and trying to read between the lines of the blog post too much already, but here is another source, from Sony, with slightly different language for us to over analyse :D

https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/products/gt7/

As Mexos  was discussing above, the blog says:

The time/weather change simulation brought to life in GT7 is unique to Polyphony Digital, who researched the complexities of nature and tailored it into a video game. Referencing a massive amount of meteorological observation data, we have recreated spatial / time of day conditions for particle size distribution and concentration distribution of aerosol particles in the atmosphere on a global environmental scale, in a procedure that is unique to the Gran Turismo series. 

The validity of the simulation was checked using Scapes HDR images, for which we have accumulated data for several thousand spots all around the world. As a result, we have succeeded in expressing real and complex skyscapes and changes in light for different times of day and weather. 

Which I also read as we can simulate lots of weathers rather than confirming it's dynamic. 

But the product web page says:

Variable Time/Weather Simulation

In GT7, a more natural and realistic variable time and weather effects have been recreated. Referencing a massive amount of meteorological observation data including those from the academic databases of NASA, we have recreated spatial/time of day conditions for particle size distribution and concentration distribution of aerosol particles in the atmosphere on a global environmental scale, in a procedure that is unique to the Gran Turismo series. As a result, we have succeeded in expressing real and complex skyscapes and changes in light for different times of day and weather conditions.

Which seems a bit closer to confirming dynamic time and weather, though, the last sentence still leads me to question it :D

GT Sport for me is head and shoulders the best GT ever, and I'd never played an online racer before.

It made it so simple to play online and ensures a good race almost every time.

More cars and tracks in the same basic concept and I'm in.

Single player with AI would need to be radically better than every single previous version in GT and I can't see it.

I'd love good AI and damage but Polyphony never do it in single player.

23 minutes ago, Corranga said:

I'm looking way too far into this and trying to read between the lines of the blog post too much already, but here is another source, from Sony, with slightly different language for us to over analyse :D

https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/products/gt7/

As Mexos  was discussing above, the blog says:

Which I also read as we can simulate lots of weathers rather than confirming it's dynamic. 

But the product web page says:

Which seems a bit closer to confirming dynamic time and weather, though, the last sentence still leads me to question it :D

I read the second one as a bullshit way to say we can draw lots of different looking clouds and have spent more effort than was necessary for it.

I thought the trailer looked cool! Definite old-school GT vibes with the map and showrooms etc. Plus, I’m really looking forward to driving on Trial Mountain in crisp 4K as it’s my favourite original GT track.

Doesn’t surprise me that they’re looking like using a bunch of stuff from GT Sport. Given how that game was at launch and for its first year or so, I am definitely happy for GT7 to lean on Sport assets if it means it feels more of a complete game on day one.

12 hours ago, Darwock said:

If this is just an extension of GT sport then the only thing that will sell it to me is a fully fledged VR mode. If they intend to make this a successor to GTS then they need to fix the penalties (felt totally random most of the time when I was still playing) and if it’s intended to be primarily offline then they need to fix the AI.

Not much chance of PSVR2 coming out soon with PS5 and chip shortages I don’t think.

Online penalties aren’t random, but they have chopped and changed them over time. They could be better but in general the online racing structure, community and etiquette is streets ahead of any other console racer. Add to that the private lobbies like RLLMUKs very own Monday Night Racing Club and it’s the best out there.

Offline mode in GT Sport is limited and you’re right the AI is garbage.

E-sports is still going. They do the FIA finals remotely now so they don’t quite have the drama or spectacle as they did when they were all in one room and they had Lewis and people turning up.

FIA championships are still popular, a load of us from MNRC are still doing it.

@Corranga I’m pretty sure there will be other tracks at launch that they’ll drip feed to us on the run up.

If not then I bet they’ll drop them in as updates in the first couple of years like how we got Laguna Seca, Sardegna Road, Goodwood, Autopolis and Fuji in GT Sport. 

I do worry that the language about dynamic weather and day/night cycle doesn’t make it clear. Surely that will be a big thing they’d want to tell us about? 
 But then again Polyphony are awful with their community engagement etc  so who knows?

The weather effects are nice but in a game with supposedly realistic tyre wear I wish they'd add marbles off the racing line as the races go on just to add a bit of variety. One of the old Codemasters F1 games had it and you could feel the rumble when overtaking off line but no game seems to have had it since. I won't be getting a PS5 anytime soon and I'm surprised it is cross gen when GT is normally a technical showcase for new hardware so will look at how the PS4 version turns out before buying.

This dynamic weather and day/ night cycle thing has been bugging me. Doing a race where weather changes with time will be excellent but how would that work in FIA or daily races? Would it be real-time or pre-scripted? I’m all confused.

Seems like its definitely here in some form though. This is off PlayStation.com

image.png.3767accd596d4cbf74366dc0a8ee74e7.png

That’s pretty interesting - I wonder if they’ll have a ‘random/dynamic’ option for normal online races whereas the FIA and Dailys will run on a set Dry/Damp/Wet/Very Wet level? Hmm.

In any case, by the time this rolls around I should be set up in my new house with a new setup and should be able to rejoin the MNRC 🙂