IGNORED

Gran Turismo 7: Monday Night Racing club details in OP

p1nseeker

12 hours ago, kiroquai said:

• Change the currency/credit exchange rate dramatically. At the moment, £16 buys you 2,000,000Cr. Increase that so £16 buys you 20,000,000Cr. This means if you want one of the rarest cars in the game, it's still a significant purchase if you want to skip the grind, but it's down to the territory of a week's worth of morning coffees rather than £150+

I agree with all of these suggestions, but is it possible for them to do this now? Presumably there are people out there who actually bought the credits at the current price. How would you compensate those people if you subsequently changed the value?

Some great races last night. 

I haven’t used the gr3 and 4 cars before, so it took a while to get used to proper racing cars. I think my final laps were about ten seconds faster than my first few. And I was still way off you guys. 

I'm still struggling to come to terms with the whole 'I'm not a car guy' thing.....

That would have kept me awake last night were it not for the chase of fret's jag down the mountain permanently etched onto my brain. Two wide going into the chase in the closing laps :blink: brave stuff.

Lads. What’s my best option for a steering wheel and pedals stand that’ll fold down easily for storage (and is compatible with a Logitech G29 wheel)? I was about to go for this based on the number of reviews but thought I should go to the pros first. 

Playseat Challenge is a good shout if you have the budget. It's essentially a modified lawn chair but it is much more solid in use than it looks (when you sit in it, your body weighs it down and tightens everything up). And it folds up in a few seconds without having to detach the wheel/pedals. 

19 minutes ago, marsh said:

I'm still struggling to come to terms with the whole 'I'm not a car guy' thing.....

Haha. Got my  a u t o m a t i c  license in my mid 30's. Have owned 1 car, for about a year and a bit, no plans to ever buy another one. Cycle everywhere, generally hate cars & CAR CULTURE. Spend a huge chunk of my spare time racing virtual cars on my expensive fake steering wheel and watching F1 on TV and spending silly money going to races.

10 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

Playseat Challenge is a good shout if you have the budget. It's essentially a modified lawn chair but it is much more solid in use than it looks (when you sit in it, your body weighs it down and tightens everything up). And it folds up in a few seconds without having to detach the wheel/pedals. 

Yup another vote for the challenge here. It's not the most attractive thing mind but it gets the job done far better than a wheelstand imo.

I find a 'dualshock' is enough to give these boys a run for their money......:eyebrows:

But that's coming from someone who has a playseat challenge and is simply too lazy to erect it *sid james*

Probably going to sink some bonus cash into a load cell tho.

One caveat about the Playseat Challenge: I have Thrustmaster T3PA pedals and even with those, if I apply too much braking force the chair starts to lift up, from the leverage.

I don't quite know how to quantify it but like, let's say I can brake to 100% and it's fine, but if I push through as though I were giving it 110%, that's enough to unsettle the chair. 

Don't know if you actually need more braking pressure with a load cell, or if it's just transmitted/registered differently, but anyway, just something to be cautious of. 

The Challenge is still perfectly fine 99% of the time, to be clear - this is an edge case where it's just not quite perfect. 

I think @Corranga built something more rigid to hold his pedals when he was still using a Playseat. 

36 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

One caveat about the Playseat Challenge: I have Thrustmaster T3PA pedals and even with those, if I apply too much braking force the chair starts to lift up, from the leverage.

I don't quite know how to quantify it but like, let's say I can brake to 100% and it's fine, but if I push through as though I were giving it 110%, that's enough to unsettle the chair. 

Don't know if you actually need more braking pressure with a load cell, or if it's just transmitted/registered differently, but anyway, just something to be cautious of. 

The Challenge is still perfectly fine 99% of the time, to be clear - this is an edge case where it's just not quite perfect. 

I think @Corranga built something more rigid to hold his pedals when he was still using a Playseat. 

@Pungee  you'd be fine with your G29 pedals, and even with the Thrustmaster loadcells, you can adjust how much pressure is needed for the pedals to register 100% and with the playseat you'll just reduce that a bit so you're not coming off the floor.  @Junker's your man here.

My Playseat has served me well since Covid lockdown, and I have no plans on upgrading.  I used a G29 for a while, then upgraded to the T300 and it's fine with both - pre-drilled mounting holes for each wheel, and a velcro arrangement for the pedals.  It folds down with wheel and pedals attached, so setup is just a case of dragging it to where you want it, undoing two velcro straps to get it seat-shaped, and adjusting a couple of bits with thumb-screws to get the pedals and wheel into the right place.  No tools required, and the whole thing takes about a minute.

My only slight issue is I'm 6'1" and I can only just about get the wheel far enough from me to be comfy.  You can recline the seat to help with this, and the wheel plate has a couple of options for where to point the wheel.  Just be careful not to try to adjust the recline angle when you're sat in the thing, as it really hurts your shins.  I think every Playseat owner finds this out for themselves at some point...

911 is a lot more tail happy. When used in BOP I don't like it, I can't be consistent. It's fine with some downforce mind but you won't get that in any BOP events.

Nissan GT4 is nice but the GR3 just doesn't want to turn.

Corvette GR3 is lovely for me, not tried the GR4 mind. 

7 minutes ago, spatular said:

anyone have any recommendations for which manufacturer to pick for the online races? i liked the 911 and the beetle in gt sport - they still good?

So far I think the only strong advice is "Not Audi" as the Gr3 is really bloody hard to control.  (Try it out on the Deep Forest circuit experience to see what I mean)

I've gone with Jaguar, and they both seem a little bit less planted than in GT Sport, but fairly easy to hustle around a track, and the Gr3 in particular is quite quick on the straights and seems to have decent brakes too.  I won a race at Bathurst in the Gr3 in last night's MNRC fun and games, albeit mainly due to a massive pile-up at the first corner...

Foe anyone interested in the the R8 try the Deep Forest circuit experience if you fancy an experience similar to stubbing your toe badly and repeatedly for twenty minutes.

3 hours ago, mexos said:

Haha. Got my  a u t o m a t i c  license in my mid 30's. Have owned 1 car, for about a year and a bit, no plans to ever buy another one. Cycle everywhere, generally hate cars & CAR CULTURE. Spend a huge chunk of my spare time racing virtual cars on my expensive fake steering wheel and watching F1 on TV and spending silly money going to races.

I don't know how to tell you this...  Just like I was a car guy when I was 10 and had no license, spent my days on my bike, playing racing games, watching F1 and BTCC and visiting car shows and races etc. 

Welcome to the madness, it's fine, we're not horrible people.  Of course, you know all this, because you're already one of us!  🤣

Slightly related... I used to know a mechanic who commuted on a bike as he never had a license and hadn't even attempted to drive!

2 hours ago, mexos said:

This is a good use of funds. 👍

Which is the point at which I completely run out of excuses....

Slightly related but I might have to get the chair out next week as the rocking chair I usually sit in collapsed towards the end of last nights gaming session. Yes you read that right, padman plays seated on a rickety old rocking chair.

4 minutes ago, Corranga said:

I don't know how to tell you this...  Just like I was a car guy when I was 10 and had no license, spent my days on my bike, playing racing games, watching F1 and BTCC and visiting car shows and races etc. 

Welcome to the madness, it's fine, we're not horrible people.  Of course, you know all this, because you're already one of us!  🤣

Slightly related... I used to know a mechanic who commuted on a bike as he never had a license and hadn't even attempted to drive!

Oh it's all good, as long as you don't sink car like levels of money into pushbikes 🧐

2 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

The guys are right, if you can afford one, get a Playseat Challenge.  I think one of the main advantages is that it attaches the pedals to the chair.  Reliable pedals feel is perhaps even more important than the wheel.  I used my Challenge with a Fanatec CSL Elite, with Load Cell pedals, and in honesty, it was stable enough.  The front lifting up was what put me off, though as @davadvice1 will testify, my brake pedal is pretty firm and I had to push pretty hard to do it.  I wouldn't say it's unsafe necessarily either, just off putting more than anything.

In terms of fixing the pedals to the Challenge, @Junker bought some P Clips which I think ae the ideal solution but some decent cable ties are sufficient at first.  Ignore the various velcro straps that come with.  The next thing to do is upgrade the linkage between the pedal tray and the seat itself.  I think Junker has some nifty 3D printed ones for that, I went full on industrial with brackets that were never moving.  Basically the original clips allow a bit of movement (including left and right, over time, not noticeable until you realise your sitting with your legs to one side!), really you want none.

Other than these things, which are only a few pounds to fix, it's great.  Folds up (though I never really folded mine), really comfy too.

1 hour ago, Fretnoise said:

My only slight issue is I'm 6'1" and I can only just about get the wheel far enough from me to be comfy.  You can recline the seat to help with this, and the wheel plate has a couple of options for where to point the wheel. 

I'm approx the same height, and I've probably asked this before, but, I turned the wheel plate around so it's backwards which gave a couple of extra inches.

Just be careful not to try to adjust the recline angle when you're sat in the thing, as it really hurts your shins.  I think every Playseat owner finds this out for themselves at some point...

This can't be said enough, it really hurts!

For me the one to watch with the challenge is when packing it away. I used to use a shoulder strap off a bag wrapped round the pedal tray and the top of the seat so it all stayed upright. My CSR pedals I was using were HEAVY and more times that I can tell you I fucked it up, the chair escaped, gravity did it's thing and OUCH. Or the pedal plate with the pedals on it would escape while I am tying up the top bit of the chair and crash into my shins.