IGNORED

Gran Turismo 7: Monday Night Racing club details in OP

p1nseeker

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

Is there not a time trial mode where I can just lap something somewhere or does that open up later!

There’s a TT mode on each track if you go to World Circuits, it’s local only though. I think this was available straightaway but I might be wrong.

An online TT mode has been announced as a future update.

45 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

There’s a TT mode on each track if you go to World Circuits, it’s local only though. I think this was available straightaway but I might be wrong.

An online TT mode has been announced as a future update.

Thanks - I must have missed it, found the circuit familiarisation and custom race but not TT, will check later on!

How are wheel folk finding the FFB in this? Im reading lots of complaints about it not feeling as good as GT:Sport esp on the Fanatec DD pro wheel but ive watched loads of YT vids and its not being mentioned on them.

Enjoyable last night. Who knew that the supra was so thirsty.....ah, everyone except me.

I've not noticed much difference between the wheel and the pad, just that the wheel, certainly at Tsukuba is worth a second a lap in my hands at least. You just have less off road incidents with a pad in my experience.

Really good racing last night, especially Sardegna.

I feel like I’m falling short when it comes to pit strategy, fuel saving etc, possibly because I know nothing about real world motorsport. Any tips?

Dumb question - when you enter the pits, does it make any difference how quickly you decide what tyres to use? Or have you got until the time when the car ‘arrives’ to decide? I always feel panicked!

Another dumb question - where it shows you the number of laps worth of fuel that you have left, is this based on how much you have been using in the race so far, or the total  for the race based on fuel mix 1, or something else? I feel like I can’t entirely trust it.

I bought this as a kind of "chill out" game for when I get five minutes during the working from home days. Elden Ring was too stressful/you needed too long a session so I thought the nice chilled out cafe car game I'd read all about would be a good tonic for if I'm wanting to play during the day.

I spent basically all of yesterday on the IB-10 license test. All of it. By the end of the day I was too stressed to play Elden Ring and had a microwaveable lasagne for dinner because I'd left it too late to cook because of stupid bastard IB-10. I have got gold on every other license test so far.

I still have not done IB-10. 

1 hour ago, extremepabs said:

Just started with this. how many cars do you need to unlock before its viable to join the Monday races?

A Gr3 and a Gr4, which you can get by signing up with one of the manufacturers for the Manufacturers Series in Sport Mode.

Then, a Radical SR1, and a Mazda Roadster Touring Car.  At the moment we're generally sticking with the tyres that come with the car.

Then, as you work through the menus, you'll get a bunch of other cars and if we start doing other races you'll probably have something suitable.  Last night we were having a laugh with stuff tuned to the Radical's PP value, for example.

48 minutes ago, Beezer said:

I feel like I’m falling short when it comes to pit strategy, fuel saving etc, possibly because I know nothing about real world motorsport. Any tips?

It's a bit of a dark art for off-the-cuff races like last night.  I generally go for one of two strategies - fuel save and try to make the fuel last for half or all of the race, depending on the length of the race and the fuel multiplier.  In GT Sport, it was more effective to save fuel by lifting and coasting into corners and short shifting than by using the Fuel Mode settings, though you can eke out a little bit more by changing mode if you need to.  My other strategy is flat out qualy-style laps until the fuel runs out, then repeat until the race is over.  Pit stops usually take long enough that you want to minimize the amount of time you're in the pits, so Plan A is usually the winner, but you have to be able to drive cleanly and stick to the plan.

(Having said all that, I think Junker won last night on Fuel Setting 2... ymmv (literally :)))

For the record I was matching Junker's pace on fuel map 1 last night, and think I could probably have made the 1-stop work, had I not had a puppy-induced crash which broke my concentration somewhat, so I switched to Plan B.

53 minutes ago, Beezer said:

Dumb question - when you enter the pits, does it make any difference how quickly you decide what tyres to use? Or have you got until the time when the car ‘arrives’ to decide? I always feel panicked!

Nope - you've got until the car gets to your box to choose.  And even then, if you haven't chosen it'll just wait for you.  Don't try to be too quick as you run the risk of accidentally double-clicking and choosing "do not refuel" for the 2nd option, which is sub-optimal.

55 minutes ago, Beezer said:

Another dumb question - where it shows you the number of laps worth of fuel that you have left, is this based on how much you have been using in the race so far, or the total  for the race based on fuel mix 1, or something else? I feel like I can’t entirely trust it.

It seems be be based on how you've been driving.  I've come a cropper here a few times where I've been not quite fuel saving enough, and had to do a splash and dash towards the end of the race.  If you just get enough fuel according to the display you'll need to carry on fuel saving for the last few laps.  I usually go for at least half a lap extra in that situation.  Also, you may not have noticed but there's a little diamond above the fuel bar - this is how much fuel the game thinks you need to get to the end, but again it's based on your recent driving style, so it's useful, but don't take it as gospel.

Thanks. Really useful. Didn’t know about that diamond!

How much time does not changing your tyres save you? I tried that on The second race last night, but I’m not convinced it was worth it.

7 minutes ago, Beezer said:

How much time does not changing your tyres save you? I tried that on The second race last night, but I’m not convinced it was worth it.

Yeah, not very much, and only really worth trying (imo) if you're racing close with someone who's on the same strategy and you want to steal track position.  Their better tyres will probably still make light work of you though so I'm not sure it's ever worth it.

So, Late to the party, I bought in on frioday night and have been fairly solidly playing (on PS4) over the weekend and last night.

I was delighted, having made my purchase after the stated cutoff for the free million, to find it waiting for me in my garage, and went and blew 200k on a Porsche 964 straight out.

Handling seems very similar to Sport as far as I can tell, though I currently my fastest car is around 650pp and I've not got any gr4 or gr3s yet. !'m on menu book 22ish (Supras) and have about 1.5mill in the bank (so that would be 500k without the extra cash). Like everyone else, i;ve had the worst result on almost every roulette spin apart from winning a BMW i3 and a set of cams for a nissan.

There's still a few annoyances and disappointments. The car list seems to have some odd omissions, with not an awful lot from the last 5 years or so.

I still don;t understand the Balancing. going to the recomended PP for an event seems to be "kerbstomp the opposition", so it's often a crap shoot as to wther I can tune a car to a level I'll et an exciting race - but that's always been the case with GT in the "tuned road car" phase.

But yeah, it's good. 

Apart form Willow Springs. Willow Springs can get to fuck.

28 minutes ago, RFT said:

I still don;t understand the Balancing. going to the recomended PP for an event seems to be "kerbstomp the opposition", so it's often a crap shoot as to wther I can tune a car to a level I'll et an exciting race - but that's always been the case with GT in the "tuned road car" phase.

I find it depends how you increase your PP, Sports Soft tyres are a big advantage/jump, so stick with Sports Hard if that’s the default and increase PP in other ways. I guess that’s the beauty of PP e.g. if you want to use SS tyres you can try a general 50 PP lower than recommended etc. until you find a sweet spot. Obviously any assists will make it easier but Traction Control is a big advantage in the more powerful cars. I try and use TC in a realistic way, so maybe 1 or 2 on GR3/4 for instance but off on less powerful or AWD cars. Some cars need it more than others, or at least I need it with some cars more than others lol.

I certainly find some of the events more challenging than others, the Cafe tends to be easier as you only ever need 3rd and it’s clear some events are not as well balanced as others.

I suppose the most challenging parts of the game are getting gold in the Missions, Licence Tests and Circuit Experiences whereas the rest of the game is more about finding your own level by repeating races etc.

7 hours ago, Beezer said:

Really good racing last night, especially Sardegna.

Thought I'd try to find something to add to Fret's great advice above...

Unlike Fret, I find the fuel estimation to be almost always accurate, to the point that with a bit of practice (for old FIA races with fuel) I could easily figure out how to drive the car to the right fuel use.  Last night I ran out of fuel right as a I crossed the line, after a fuel saving 1 stopper - 7 laps, then 8 lap stint in the 15 lap race at Sardegna.  I finished 3rd, albeit 40 seconds or something behind Junker, though I qualified quite far down and I think had a coming together that sent me backwards.

On the flip side, I did a 0 stop at the Nurburgring, and that strategy didn't really work as I was a sitting duck on, well, any fast long straight...

5 hours ago, Beezer said:

Note that the diamond only works in 'laps' races, in 'time based 'endurance' races, the game doesn't bother to calculate or even estimate how many laps you have left, so the diamond automatically appears as a full tank, even if there is 2 minutes remaining and it's a 1 minute 30 lap (e.g. you need 2 laps of fuel).

Tyre change time I think varied in sport, but unless you are super competitive, or the settings are very conservative, it's usually worth just changing.  (aka, something like 4 seconds max, which you can easily blow by sliding around on worn tyres)

43 minutes ago, wev said:

I thought the cut off for the million credits was April 25th?

From the announcement:

*Limit 1 per person. Must own a digital or physical copy of GT7 for PS4 or PS5 prior to the publication of this post  (Friday, 25 March at 1:00am PST)  and log into Gran Turismo 7 between Friday, March 25 at 5:00pm JST/8:00am GMT/ 1:00am PDT and Monday, April 25 at 5:00pm JST/8:00am GMT/ 1:00am PDT to receive the free credit pack

Now I made my purchase at around 1600 GMT on March 25th, so def after the cutoff, and first logged in the morning after at about 8AM.

15 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

How are wheel folk finding the FFB in this? Im reading lots of complaints about it not feeling as good as GT:Sport esp on the Fanatec DD pro wheel but ive watched loads of YT vids and its not being mentioned on them.

"not feeling as good" is a bit relative I guess.

Ignoring the feedback for a moment and just talking about the driving model / physics:

It is harder than GT Sport, and some of it is, in my opinion wrong, but Sport was no different (see McLaren Gr.3 spinning at 30mph in a straight line on a wet track with wet tyres and <50% throttle in Sport...)

Gr.3 cars seem to be wanting traction control turned on in 7 while Sport was all about turning it off. 

Cars don't benefit from trail braking quite as much as they did in Sport (which was unrealistic anyway).

Some cars are absurdly difficult to control in 7 (Audi Gr.3..)

The game is easier on a pad than a wheel (if you can drive on a pad...) but what's the point..

And moving to the feedback:

I played a ton of Sport and I've played a fair bit of this, and if I'm honest, I've not settled as well with this, but I don't think that's about the ffb.  I feel things in this I never felt in Sport, I'm playing with the DD Pro which I used on both.

My summary:

Is GT7 broken in some ways - yes.

Should we expect a physics patch at some point - yes (we've already seen one referring to high downforce cars on kerbs).

Is there less or worse feedback than Sport - absolutely not.

17 minutes ago, Corranga said:

The only thing I’ve noticed on my T300 is that the rumble effect when you drive over curbs is weaker and in some cases not there at all. I suspect it will get patched.

Anyone figured out how the invitation system on this works. Have enough credits to buy an Enzo Ferrari but now need an invitation. Is it just purely random as and when they come up? :)

I know KY want to emulate real life but it's a game and I just want to buy a car with some fantasy credits... Jeez. 🙄

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Anyone figured out how the invitation system on this works. Have enough credits to buy an Enzo Ferrari but now need an invitation. Is it just purely random as and when they come up? :)

I know KY want to emulate real life but it's a game and I just want to buy a car with some fantasy credits... Jeez. 🙄

You get them in the roulette spins. 😐

4 hours ago, Corranga said:

"not feeling as good" is a bit relative I guess.

Ignoring the feedback for a moment and just talking about the driving model / physics:

It is harder than GT Sport, and some of it is, in my opinion wrong, but Sport was no different (see McLaren Gr.3 spinning at 30mph in a straight line on a wet track with wet tyres and <50% throttle in Sport...)

Gr.3 cars seem to be wanting traction control turned on in 7 while Sport was all about turning it off. 

Cars don't benefit from trail braking quite as much as they did in Sport (which was unrealistic anyway).

Some cars are absurdly difficult to control in 7 (Audi Gr.3..)

The game is easier on a pad than a wheel (if you can drive on a pad...) but what's the point..

And moving to the feedback:

I played a ton of Sport and I've played a fair bit of this, and if I'm honest, I've not settled as well with this, but I don't think that's about the ffb.  I feel things in this I never felt in Sport, I'm playing with the DD Pro which I used on both.

My summary:

Is GT7 broken in some ways - yes.

Should we expect a physics patch at some point - yes (we've already seen one referring to high downforce cars on kerbs).

Cheers - i didnt play a huge amount of sport so have nothing to really compare it too - the haptics on the pad are really good and I’m totally in love with the game! Ive moved my PS5 into my little gaming den and while i have a much worse TV down here its begging for a wheel so thats going to get ordered soon, I need to be a bit sensible and sell off some stuff to make it less of a hit - I want a DD pro for sure and then its deciding on a stand ‘ play seat setup.

Last night I was watching a YouTuber do the daily challenges and was mesmerised so ive spent the past couple of hours doing them, got a couple of second places and even qualified first for one of them so I assume the matchmaking is pretty good as the actual racing has been bloody brilliant (outside of being punted out of third with the other player getting no penalty) and more importantly ive been getting consistently faster in quali and better in the race - nerves cost me a win for sure!

7 hours ago, Spacehost said:

“Don’t blow all that free credit on something stupid”, I said. “Novelty cars are for suckers” I said…

Reveal hidden contents

15F0D635-B04D-4D9E-9350-FA9B7324B644.thumb.png.ecaf8a04af38a72af77b9533065943c0.png

what are the upgrades like?

7 hours ago, Spacehost said:

“Don’t blow all that free credit on something stupid”, I said. “Novelty cars are for suckers” I said…

Hide contents

15F0D635-B04D-4D9E-9350-FA9B7324B644.thumb.png.ecaf8a04af38a72af77b9533065943c0.png

Oh the irony. I mean it reaching 88mph was just wishful thinking...

1 hour ago, marsh said:

Oh the irony. I mean it reaching 88mph was just wishful thinking...

It was actually good for 100+ mph with the NA engine it came with, and supposedly there were turbocharged prototypes that were tested up to 150mph but DeLorean ran out of money before they were ever mass-produced. 

The joke is that until 1982, US speedometers could legally only be labelled up to 85mph, no matter how fast the car. The DeLorean came out in 1981 so it would have had a speedo that could never reach 88mph (which I guess is why the one in the film has a big red segmented LED display). 

image.thumb.png.b41f3e47549721a43662f72a462631ae.png

2 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

It was actually good for 100+ mph with the NA engine it came with, and supposedly there were turbocharged prototypes that were tested up to 150mph but DeLorean ran out of money before they were ever mass-produced. 

The joke is that until 1982, US speedometers could legally only be labelled up to 85mph, no matter how fast the car. The DeLorean came out in 1981 so it would have had a speedo that could never reach 88mph (which I guess is why the one in the film has a big red segmented LED display). 

The Delorean story is a great read. It's basically the guide that Tesla use to run their operation.