Gran Turismo 7: Monday Night Racing club details in OP

p1nseeker

A small but perfectly formed MNRC session last night - thanks all. Group C Le Mans cars are suitably feisty, trusty MX-5s make for a decent race, as always, and F150s round Tsukuba with no track limits were, erm, amusing :)

ea04cd6a7809e6f19104a34df9c624c2_photo.w

As I'm now well past the end of the menu books, and now into the end-game grind for credits, I thought I;d put a few thoughts together.

I;m not finding this phase too bad as there's good challenge in the Gr4 races dotted around the place and the highly lucrative Le Mans 30 minutes event has dynamic weather so it never feels the same twice (plus it's helpful that it's at a track I'll never get bored of).

However. putting aside the economy / review Drama, It seems clear that the game was rushed to hit a release date, but not in way this normally occurs, where the end product is janky and buggy, but instead they just cut the last quarter or a third of the campaign. 

Spoiler

39 Menu Books

Seems like a really odd number to choose, and it;s bizarre that the the "ultimate challenge" is 2 rungs down from the fastest race cars. Many tracks, even after the april patch seem to barely appear. Interlagos and Bathurst have one event each, and there's nothing for Gr2 or Gr1 cars to do outside the missions. Sport (which was ostensibly an online focused title) had championships for SuperGTs and LMP1s. Gt7 just stops. The higher licences don't seem to be there for anything other than getting the prize cars. The game's got loads of content in tracks and cars it barely uses.

So I;m hoping that part of the "plans for the future" that Kaz mentioned in the original, tone-deaf, response to the original shitstorm is continuing to fill in the game's upper levels.

8 hours ago, SeanR said:

Has anyone come first in the goodwood mini PP350 race yet?

it more bullshit than racing games where the AI has an unlimited amount of boost.

Yep. Sports Hard tyres, all the weight reduction options and then fiddle with horsepower and gearbox settings to hit 350 PP. Reducing your top speed by changing the top gear ratio lets you limit your PP, so you can take more horsepower and less weight.

You should be able to just about keep up down the straights and be much faster through the corners.

It’s a bit fiddly but do-able :) 

I think there's a wierd wildcard in that race - a red Mini with a wing and airdam that's 3-4s a lap faster then the rest of the field in clear air, but starts right at the back. 

My first attempt at the race last night, I took the lead at the exit of Lavant with no trouble, but then a lap later going down the straight, this thing blows past like I'm standing still and I can;t hold on to it through the last corner and chicane.

Second attempt, I think it had more trouble passing the other cars and only cleared 2nd place half way round lap 2, (Instead of at the start of lap 2 in the previous race) by which time it didn;t have time to catch me - but it was still gaining fast by the line and probably took 1.5-2s out of me after it cleared second.

In terms of racing I'm tryoing to beat the Gr.4 10-lap race at Laguna Seca but the fricking Suzuki Swift does the whole thing without stopping and I can;t beat it either on an economy run or flat-out maximum attack - both of them are about 15s slower at the flag. I tried building a DC2 Integra into a similar spec (on the grounds that a lightweight/low power approach might be more fuel efficient at the same PP than the Cayman I'd been using) but still not there. 

9 minutes ago, RFT said:

I think there's a wierd wildcard in that race - a red Mini with a wing and airdam that's 3-4s a lap faster then the rest of the field in clear air, but starts right at the back. 

Yep, I spotted him as I tested my tune before telling Sean it was doable :) With the power and top speed tweaked to just fit in the PP I was out accelerating him but he'd start to come back at me towards the end of 2 long straights.  But then he'd have to brake much more for the turns and I could build my lead back up.  I found it quite good fun.

I think in most of these kinds of races there's one car that's your actual competition, with the rest of the pack just there to get in the way and/or make up the numbers.  I did the 15 lap race at Sardegna the other night and there's one guy (I forget what he was in) that kept a pace with me, whilst the rest of the field were 30-40 seconds behind, all in a gaggle.  I one-stopped that in a slightly tuned 911 Gr3, and won by 6s - that's decent fun as well, and the win gets you nearly 500k credits, which is nice.  750k if you can manage the whole race without getting tapped at T1 and losing the clean race bonus... (mutter mutter, grrr..)

3 minutes ago, RFT said:

My first attempt at the race last night, I took the lead at the exit of Lavant with no trouble, but then a lap later going down the straight, this thing blows past like I'm standing still and I can;t hold on to it through the last corner and chicane.

Second attempt, I think it had more trouble passing the other cars and only cleared 2nd place half way round lap 2, (Instead of at the start of lap 2 in the previous race) by which time it didn;t have time to catch me - but it was still gaining fast by the line and probably took 1.5-2s out of me after it cleared second.

In terms of racing I'm tryoing to beat the Gr.4 10-lap race at Laguna Seca but the fricking Suzuki Swift does the whole thing without stopping and I can;t beat it either on an economy run or flat-out maximum attack - both of them are about 15s slower at the flag. I tried building a DC2 Integra into a similar spec (on the grounds that a lightweight/low power approach might be more fuel efficient at the same PP than the Cayman I'd been using) but still not there. 

it's worth noting that there's some bugs in the races with pitstops/tyre wear etc where depending on what difficulty you've set the game, (easy, medium, hard) the AI can do lap times that are literally impossible, like lapping 3 seconds faster on softs in heavy rain and they don't do pit stops etc. 

4 hours ago, Fretnoise said:

Yep, I spotted him as I tested my tune before telling Sean it was doable :) With the power and top speed tweaked to just fit in the PP I was out accelerating him but he'd start to come back at me towards the end of 2 long straights.  But then he'd have to brake much more for the turns and I could build my lead back up.  I found it quite good fun.

I think in most of these kinds of races there's one car that's your actual competition, with the rest of the pack just there to get in the way and/or make up the numbers.  I did the 15 lap race at Sardegna the other night and there's one guy (I forget what he was in) that kept a pace with me, whilst the rest of the field were 30-40 seconds behind, all in a gaggle.  I one-stopped that in a slightly tuned 911 Gr3, and won by 6s - that's decent fun as well, and the win gets you nearly 500k credits, which is nice.  750k if you can manage the whole race without getting tapped at T1 and losing the clean race bonus... (mutter mutter, grrr..)

That's why the 30-minuter at Le Mans is so good - it seems almost impossible to lose the clean race bonus (I Clobbered someone art pit entry on my last run, and had a long gravel excursion when the weather got too bad for slicks and still kept the bonus) so a win is worth 825k. And, it's a race where the tyre wear and fuel strategy all seems to work fairly. The Tokyo one is insanely hard though - clip a wall in the wrong place and that's a 5-second penalty. 

If you folks like your challenging events and have already Golded Licence S-10 and the Nordschleife Circuit Experience, have a go at the final race on the Human Comedy mission set at Maggiore. It's absolutely nails. Had three cracks at it so far and best I've managed is 3rd.

You can make Tokyo a great (not necessarily the most fun) credit grind with the Tomahawk X VGT. The PP seems to get broken when you alter the gear ratios in a certain way, so you have a PP 595.05 car that nearly hits 300 MPH and can go through the twisty sections at close to 250 MPH, feels more like Wipeout than GT at times. It doesn't seem to matter how many times you tap the barrier you still get a clean race bonus, takes me about 19 minutes for 825,000 credits.

Video guide

Still loving this, still not got my wheel… maybe Friday.

What I would like to know is why I can put in a decent quali in Sport (Monza) to start second but fluff the first corner under no pressure to battle for a 6th while being 2 secs a lap slower than the quali time 🤬

Thats before I even get to moaning about the penalty system….

Love it tho :wub:

6 hours ago, JPR said:

You can make Tokyo a great (not necessarily the most fun) credit grind with the Tomahawk X VGT. The PP seems to get broken when you alter the gear ratios in a certain way, so you have a PP 595.05 car that nearly hits 300 MPH and can go through the twisty sections at close to 250 MPH, feels more like Wipeout than GT at times. It doesn't seem to matter how many times you tap the barrier you still get a clean race bonus, takes me about 19 minutes for 825,000 credits.

Video guide

fucking hell, that guide is difficult to follow

Worth noting that Tomahawk nerf means it can be used for the Deep Forest endurance race, too :)

Imagine Polyphony will nix it soon, but for now it’s a great way of credit farming if you want to. Can get yourself about 2.4mil per hour on the Tokyo race.

Talking of endurance races the A220 with this tuning is great for the Alsace 1hr. Used fuel mix 1 for the first few laps to get into the lead, then down to 4 for most of the race which made it a comfortable one stop win. 

Feels like driving in slow motion compared to the Tomahawk but it's an enjoyable drive.

Interesting - I'd been trying to build a '71 GT-R for that race but that was still a couple of seconds off the pace. That build gives a nice excuse to buy the Alpine as I'll make a profit on it.

14 hours ago, SeanR said:

1354 HP 521.56 PP

#FlatTrackBully

Ha.  Just tried this on my lunch break.  It's a shame it works really, as the PP system seems quite well done if it's not being abused - we've been experimenting a bit on Monday nights and it usually seems to get pretty different base cars to within reach of each other.

Anyway, despite quite a few penalties (mostly for track limits at the hairpin), I still got the clean race bonus, so 825k credits in about 22 minutes (the car can go much faster than that, but I was trying to take some of the corners :))

And then I got a 6-star roulette ticket, and won another million credits.  Which was nice.

15 minutes ago, tobert said:

Are the roulette weighted towards the lower prizes in this? it has been the lowest possible reward in pretty much all of the 10 or so spins I have had so far...

Yeah, quite heavily.  The million credits I mentioned above was very much the exception to the rule.  I've had a couple of (boring) cars, a couple of tuning parts for cars I don't own, and a million credits and a half-million credits.  All the rest have been the lowest credit prize, and I've done the daily marathon nearly every day since launch, so that's about 45 or so spins.

So in my case I've had the lowest prize roughly 80-90% of the time.

2 minutes ago, tobert said:

its kinds poor UI as its presented like a like its just a spin with all items getting an equal chance

Yep, totally.  It's also decided what you're going to get before the spin animation, which I only know because one of the cars I got tipped me over the 100 car mark, and I got the trophy notification as soon as the spin started.

Also such a step back from GT Sport where you'd get some kind of car every day.  With these races where you can (legitimately) earn over a million credits an hour, it seems a waste of time to give out 5k bonuses.

I've done a spin most days since launch.  I've won 1 million (might have been 500,000, I can't actually remember!) once, and 2 cars (well, 1 car, in 2 different colours, 2 days running).  I have a pile of useless parts for crap cars too, and have won invitations a couple of times - clearly the worse of all the prizes.

Can't decide if it's better or worse than Forza Horizon, I mean, at least it's not something entirely pointless pair of shorts or a pose or something...