Gran Turismo 7: Monday Night Racing club details in OP

p1nseeker

I need to get back into this. I barely dip in once a week, and compared to GT Sport it's not even part time. Oh, and I mean like properly dust the wheel off and stuff.

On 16/05/2022 at 21:16, Shimmyhill said:

I was on GT7 but had to stop almost at 8pm or I would have jumped on tonight, so close but work stuff to do :(

Ooh, please do join us whenever you can soon :)

22 hours ago, Fretnoise said:

Am I pushing it to ask for an even longer endurance in a couple of weeks?  Happy to stick with those cars, or just an open BoP'd Gr3 event?  Would love to do an hour at Spa 24hr, into the night.  Or Daytona.  Or N24.  If we decide on something fairly soon we can let everyone settle on a car and get the full range of tyres so that we can include some possible inclement weather too.

We'll do a 1 hour race next week ;) Track, car class, fuel and tyre settings TBA.

19 hours ago, Beezer said:

Veterans of Rllmuk racing nights may remember an epic Rally de Positano race on Forza about a decade or so ago. Still my favourite online gaming experience!

I was there! (I think, loved the online Forza 2 / 3 / 4 days on 360)

16 hours ago, GwiDan said:

I’m nearing a return. The TV has arrived and been set up, so now I just need to get hold of a PS5. 

15 hours ago, morcs said:

Hehe I did get a PS5, but didn't use it so I sold it to @cavalcade, then sold my wheel and pedals 🙈

GT7 is pretty much the same great game on PS4, so hold your excuses and re-join our races ;)

19 hours ago, Beezer said:

Veterans of Rllmuk racing nights may remember an epic Rally de Positano race on Forza about a decade or so ago. Still my favourite online gaming experience!

The website Kurzheck and I made for that is still up, if you want to further wander down memory lane:

https://targapositano.blogspot.com/

I have been pondering a return of the Historic Trophy in some form 500pp, Spa, Goodwood, Laguna, Suzuka, Alsace, Interlagos. Maybe a 500pp, Sport tyres, road cars, and a cut-off date around 1970...

The problem is that half the cars I'd want to allow being Legends complicates things a bit.

I would also love to do a Classic Le Mans 2-hour 1-off race, but the issue is just time, these days. And waiting for the 917 to come back toi the Legends Dealer.

46 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

We'll do a 1 hour race next week ;) Track, car class, fuel and tyre settings TBA.

Excellent :)

Let's give people a day or so on the car class so we can settle on one to use and then get tyres for it.  I like the track and multipliers staying secret :) 

3 hours ago, Fretnoise said:

Excellent :)

Let's give people a day or so on the car class so we can settle on one to use and then get tyres for it.  I like the track and multipliers staying secret :) 

Yeah, I think Gr3 makes sense as there's loads of choice, everyone who has played for more than a few hours will own one, and the BoP is fairly good. Some cars are faster than other but I think tyre and fuel management cancels out any slight performance advantage.

4 hours ago, RFT said:

I have been pondering a return of the Historic Trophy in some form 500pp, Spa, Goodwood, Laguna, Suzuka, Alsace, Interlagos. Maybe a 500pp, Sport tyres, road cars, and a cut-off date around 1970...

The problem is that half the cars I'd want to allow being Legends complicates things a bit.

I would also love to do a Classic Le Mans 2-hour 1-off race, but the issue is just time, these days. And waiting for the 917 to come back toi the Legends Dealer.

Yeah this is definitely interesting. MNRC regular Ian did a thing last year called Historic7 on GT Sport. These were 40 min long races in old cars and was great. After the championship we did  one off 90min race in the Ferrari 512BB and it was ace. 

He ran it on a Sunday evening and we did talk about doing something similar again on GT7. Problem is the lobbies are not really up to it yet, needs a few updates to make it viable.

Also as you pointed out, the issue is that the old cars are in the used dealership or legends and come and go , so it's hard to make sure everyone has got one. 

18 minutes ago, Junker said:

I think tyre and fuel management cancels out any slight performance advantage.

That and having to keep it on the track for an hour... 

I'm basically hoovering up everything that comes through the Historic dealership that might be H7-worthy, assuming we won't be going after the multi-million credit things without plenty of warning, when season 2 kicks off.  Apart from the lack of qualifying for endurance events, I think the lobbies are basically good enough now.

Edit - oh, and being able to see the race results.  And seeing what car everyone's using (or at least just the PP / BHP / Weight).  And being able to set the weather and time for the race start independent of the lobby start...  Ok - you're right... :)

I've been playing Sport mode the last two weeks and have managed to come first in a couple of races.

The prize money for 1st place is a wanky 16,000 CR. There is no real incentive to play this at all.

5 hours ago, englishbob said:

There is no real incentive to play this at all.

I mean, there is the enjoyment and the challenge?

I’ve done the Mazda Roaster Touring Car mission, 1 hours at Tsukuba 3 times now, and came 2nd well, 3 times..

After the first one you get nothing, no credits at all, 1 hour races and I’ll still go back and try again until I win it.

7 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Any of the Fanatec guys changed many settings in game? came across this thread and seems to suggest a few changes https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/25219/gran-turismo-7-ps4-ps5-fanatec-recommended-settings

In game it's almost always:

All assists off, except ABS which I leave on normal.

Force Feedback Max. Torque: 5  (6 is better sometimes, it's car dependent.  Mostly, I can't be bothered going in and changing it so leave it at 5 as 6 can cause clipping in some cars).

Force Feedback Sensitivity: 1  (as I understand it, this is about the subtlety of the feedback.  Some folk seem to put this higher as it 'feels more' but really it's just that the first forces you feel are more as you've dulled the settings so much you can't feel the softer forces)

On the wheel, I mainly play with FF - higher for slower cars.  I think this is all about preference, but I can't run 100% on an 8Nm wheelbase all the time, I'm not strong enough. 

I run 70-85%, 70 for most Gr.3 stuff, and 80-85+ for things that were Nxxx cars in GTSport.  Something like a Kei car up to say an mx-5, I'd have higher.

Disclaimer, this is all from memory as I'm in the office today (breakfast break!)

Also, I haven't played post GT7 handling patch, which has made things feel more... rubbery, but I like that, for me it feels more real than it was pre update, so it could be that I'm missing a whole host of good stuff.

Prior to getting right into it and messing around, I recommend noting your initial settings and updating firmware (the update wipes your settings sometimes, possibly always), then restore what you had and go from there.

I leave most stuff at the defaults and play around with

NDP - Natural damping or something. I think I have this as low as possible, possibly even off.  This is the biggest change to the recommended settings.  I believe it makes the wheel accelerate quicker, which for me is a good thing.  I used to do the opposite and set it as high as I could with no oscillation as I perceived that it was helping me as it felt more, but I don't believe that was the case.

Different cars produce this at different points, as an extreme, the Dodge BigFastThing (tm) oscillates at 0 - but in general reduce this if you feel the wheel oscillating.

INT  - as I understand it, the interval between 'feedbacks'  I think of this like the framerate of the wheel.  A framerate is a digital concept, but of course feeling is analogue, so this is the trade off between a very fast reacting, but digital / robotic feeling experience, and a smooth, but slightly delayed one.  Turn it off and the wheel feels mechanical and sort of judder, the higher it is, the smoother everything is, but the immediateness suffers.  I think I tend to run 1 or 2.

DRI - Drift mode settings apparently.  I think of it as the power the wheel has to straighten up, so this makes it initially harder to turn away from straight (more force needed to turn the car).  I've settled on something, I don't recall what, but I think this one is down to preference.

Similar settings, I will have a play as ive only played with the on wheel settings - fairly familiar with them from old wheel but obv feels different on this. I did update the firmware when I got the wheel so will check there hasn’t been one, right faff as I had to use an older and very slow laptop!

16 hours ago, Corranga said:

I mean, there is the enjoyment and the challenge?

Yes, but this game at it's heart, and by its own admission, is a car collecting one - you can't buy anything on 16,000CR for coming first in an online race. 

It's GTFriday, for anyone looking for some fun relatively casual races starting with pimped Cappuccinos (RH) feel free to join us anytime from 9pm (ish) till late. Got a grid of 3 so far would be great to add some more.

Congratulations @Shimmyhill

it’s such a thrill when you win. Online Sport mode races are 1000% more tense than a single player race. Even ones where you get punted or are just off the pace and mid-pack are so much more engaging.

Why don’t you try the Toyota Gazoo cup ? Rd2 is Sunday and it’s the GT500 Supra round Suzuka.

Championship races tend to amp up the drama another notch

4 hours ago, Junker said:

it’s such a thrill when you win. Online Sport mode races are 1000% more tense than a single player race. Even ones where you get punted or are just off the pace and mid-pack are so much more engaging.

Why don’t you try the Toyota Gazoo cup ? Rd2 is Sunday and it’s the GT500 Supra round Suzuka.

I really need to explore the online side of this much more. I had a few online Kart races a bit back and really enjoyed them. 

After finishing the Cafe I’ve kind of fallen away from this, it’s a shame they didn’t revamp the online, I played a lot of it on Sport and it just feels a bit samey. I don’t know what they were doing all those years. I might give the Gazoo Cup a go though as I love Suzuka.

17 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

After finishing the Cafe I’ve kind of fallen away from this, it’s a shame they didn’t revamp the online, I played a lot of it on Sport and it just feels a bit samey. I don’t know what they were doing all those years. I might give the Gazoo Cup a go though as I love Suzuka.

Same, apart from Monday nights.

However... I spent a good couple of hours on Daily Race A yesterday.  It's a silly drifty Silvia around a tiny part of Lago Magiorre, which sounds a bit mickey mouse, but I ended up having some really good races, and the handling of the car on the limit is lovely.  I agree the Gr3 / Gr4 daily races feel a lot like GT Sport though.

13 hours ago, Junker said:

Can you join that after missing a round? Sunday is football drama, may get a chance later on in the day - I take it you can only do it on Sunday, its not like the ‘daily’ races that last all week?

6 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Can you join that after missing a round? Sunday is football drama, may get a chance later on in the day - I take it you can only do it on Sunday, its not like the ‘daily’ races that last all week?

Yes you can, best 4 out of the 7 rounds count to your total

.I mean you could just do one and it wouldn’t  matter. I’ve done that before when it was a race I liked the sound of

1 hour ago, Junker said:

Yes you can, best 4 out of the 7 rounds count to your total

.I mean you could just do one and it wouldn’t  matter. I’ve done that before when it was a race I liked the sound of

Bit of a faff to register isnt it!??!? 

Anyway, I had a go and am miles off your lap time - to be fair I didnt do a single clean lap and it was good fun - hopefully get on tomms!

10 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Bit of a faff to register isnt it!??!? 

Anyway, I had a go and am miles off your lap time - to be fair I didnt do a single clean lap and it was good fun - hopefully get on tomms!

Yes registration was a joke. had a practice with the tyre and fuel settings- very sketchy. 1 stop will be safest. Not binning it will be the key. If it rains it will be chaos!

My Round 1 effort from 2 weeks ago is here. Crazy peno at T1 lap 1 and then my last lap overtake attempt at Blanchimont - did I leave enough room, did he speed up into me? Still not sure what happened 

19 minutes ago, Junker said:

Yes registration was a joke. had a practice with the tyre and fuel settings- very sketchy. 1 stop will be safest. Not binning it will be the key. If it rains it will be chaos!

My Round 1 effort from 2 weeks ago is here. Crazy peno at T1 lap 1 and then my last lap overtake attempt at Blanchimont - did I leave enough room, did he speed up into me? Still not sure what happened 

Hmm, I wonder what tyre and fuel I was on - just left defaults!?

I’ve hit a couple of extremely tough races and not sure what to do. I really struggled through the Ferrari cafe menu races getting 3rd in each but finishing at least 8 seconds off first place. My car was tuned to a baw hair below 700 but it’s the first time I’ve been nowhere near the leader.

After getting 3rd in those races to scrape through the menu I moved onto the GT800 Championship and well, even in the GT3 Audi R8 I hardly made a dent in the gap to the leader in the first race. Again I was tuned to just below 800 but I’m clearly doing something wrong.

Is it my choice of car, is it the tyres, is it me just hitting the limit of my capabilities? 

29 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

Is it my choice of car, is it the tyres, is it me just hitting the limit of my capabilities? 

It could be the limit of your capabilities… as they stand right now in this moment. Many times I’ve thought that’s it I can’t go any faster and ended up surprising myself. Every time that happened the way through it was to just drive more. Maybe try some other events and then go back to it. In that time you’ve got better. When you try the cafe mission again you’ll probably end up doing it or be a lot closer. Boring answer but there you go! Other things I’d do… check you are doing the basics right of braking, turn in etc. I sometimes end up reverting to bad old habits in my braking and losing loads of time. Watching a YouTube video or two on driving technique even if you know it can be a good reset for the brain.

39 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Hmm, I wonder what tyre and fuel I was on - just left defaults!?

The free practice is 0 tyres and fuel. The race itself will have the tyre and fuel multipliers. To recreate the race either do a custom race or I tend to set a lobby with the same settings

On 22/05/2022 at 08:25, MardiganX said:

I’ve hit a couple of extremely tough races and not sure what to do. I really struggled through the Ferrari cafe menu races getting 3rd in each but finishing at least 8 seconds off first place. My car was tuned to a baw hair below 700 but it’s the first time I’ve been nowhere near the leader.

After getting 3rd in those races to scrape through the menu I moved onto the GT800 Championship and well, even in the GT3 Audi R8 I hardly made a dent in the gap to the leader in the first race. Again I was tuned to just below 800 but I’m clearly doing something wrong.

Have you done the Circuit Experiences on the tracks involved?  On some tracks I was, eventually, knocking a good 5 or 6 seconds off my initial lap times in order to get the gold, usually through not abusing the track limits enough, or having a wrong, slow line through a corner which is flat out or just a lift.  Especially true of the new tracks.  Once you're near to the gold time you can turn the demonstration ghost on to see where the last few tenths can come from.