IGNORED

Gran Turismo 7: Monday Night Racing club details in OP

p1nseeker

Never played a Gran Turismo before but found myself watching Super GT even more than usual last week so thought I'd take the plunge. I'm playing on a pad cause I went a bit mad a few years ago and sold my Fanetec (very sad) - so I guess I'm not getting the most immersive experience. Doesn't really suit my life to get a wheel right now but hopefully later in the year. The PS5 pad is pretty good for this kind of thing though.

Not really sure what to make of it so far.. I've done some of the license stuff and it's been fun (and occasionally really tough) to get gold in some of the categories. And seeing the likes of mexos and Kiro on the friends rankings takes me back to the glory days of the rllmuk F1 leagues :wub:.

But I'm not finding the career mode stuff especially compelling to be honest. Why do I start last every race? Even the championship races start me last when I'm higher up in the standings. And having to pass people driving very slowly on the racing line doesn't really feel like racing, which is kind of disappointing.

But I guess the meat of the game is in the sport mode which I haven't really broached yet. I have ~700,000 credits but no clue what to spend it on and real anxiety about wasting it as I've heard it's not easy to get. Any tips/advice on this front?

@John0 the sport mode races let you borrow a car suitable for the event now, which is a big help.  Check the rankings to see what the 'meta' car is for each race, and just dive in.  Stay out of trouble to build your SR rating up, and don't really worry about results until you get up to an S SR.  The racing gets much better with a higher SR.

As for credits, there's a Tommahawk PP glitch that means you can get 825k Cr in around 18 minutes, but if you don't already have the Tommahawk then I'd give it a miss as it's almost certainly going to be fixed in this week's patch, and the car costs a million to start with.  The Gr4 race at Brands Hatch is almost 100k for a few clean laps of the GP circuit - that's how I was making money before the Tommahawk thing happened, as it's fairly easy to get the clean win and it's a pretty fun drive.

23 minutes ago, John0 said:

And seeing the likes of mexos and Kiro on the friends rankings takes me back to the glory days of the rllmuk F1 leagues :wub:.

Hello! You should really pop in one Monday, I think you will like it! 

On another note I am cleaning up my old photo libraries and found the pics from the F1 league visit to Codemasters. That was bloody funny.

Just now, mexos said:

Hello! You should really pop in one Monday, I think you will like it! 

Oh yeah, I meant to say - come along to Monday nights, as they're like all the best bits of Sport mode with none of the idiots.  Ok... maybe one or two ;)

You do need the cars for that though - no option to loan cars for custom lobbies...

Yeah I saw the Monday night thing but I don't know any of the tracks and don't have any cars yet so might take me a little while to get myself together :) but yes plan to join at some point! It's organised in this thread as far as I can tell?

Edit: Oh and I've popped my details in the google doc and I'll try adding people I don't have.

9 minutes ago, John0 said:

Yeah I saw the Monday night thing but I don't know any of the tracks and don't have any cars yet so might take me a little while to get myself together :) but yes plan to join at some point! It's organised in this thread as far as I can tell?

Edit: Oh and I've popped my details in the google doc and I'll try adding people I don't have.

Here, and in a PSN group as well as there are a few non-mukkers in the gang.  Oh and there's a Discord server too, but we're still finding our feet on that at the moment, - https://discord.gg/dHdSutJQ

50 minutes ago, John0 said:

Oh I'm in the same boat... don't know how the hell to drive the online stuff... don't have half of the cars etc... Maybe we could get together a beginners/rookie session at some point? Few simple racers in slowish cars (karts?) and see how we go?

1 hour ago, John0 said:

Never played a Gran Turismo before but found myself watching Super GT even more than usual last week so thought I'd take the plunge. I'm playing on a pad cause I went a bit mad a few years ago and sold my Fanetec (very sad) - so I guess I'm not getting the most immersive experience. Doesn't really suit my life to get a wheel right now but hopefully later in the year. The PS5 pad is pretty good for this kind of thing though.

Not really sure what to make of it so far.. I've done some of the license stuff and it's been fun (and occasionally really tough) to get gold in some of the categories. And seeing the likes of mexos and Kiro on the friends rankings takes me back to the glory days of the rllmuk F1 leagues :wub:.

But I'm not finding the career mode stuff especially compelling to be honest. Why do I start last every race? Even the championship races start me last when I'm higher up in the standings. And having to pass people driving very slowly on the racing line doesn't really feel like racing, which is kind of disappointing.

But I guess the meat of the game is in the sport mode which I haven't really broached yet. I have ~700,000 credits but no clue what to spend it on and real anxiety about wasting it as I've heard it's not easy to get. Any tips/advice on this front?

Well done.. best GT so far IMHO....

And yes starting last may seem like a PITA.. however... its great practice... and after a while i really enjoyed working through the pack to earn my first place. I think this is why it is probably done... look at the cafe cards as tutorials where you get (mostly) cars as rewards. Its a nice way of doing it IMHO.

With the credits I'd just keep stashing them up and using some to tune up the cars given to you from completing the cafe cards.

2 hours ago, John0 said:

John, I just added you to the PSN Chat Group for Monday Night Racing Club stuff :) - obviously feel free to contribute/mute as much as you wish! Would be awesome to see you out on track again. I still make silly mistakes when in good positions in races, and Mexos still runs out of fuel coming out of the final corner on the last lap. It's just like old times!

EDIT: As for your credits, in terms of the cars we use most often for our races I'd highly suggest:

• Any Group 3 car. They're usually 450,000 a piece, unless you go slightly exotic and grab something like the Castrol Supra from the Legends Dealer. My suggestions are getting the AMG Mercedes or the Porsche 911RSR but there's about 40 of the things so you'll have plenty of choice!
  • The Mazda Roadster Touring Car for 90,000
  • The Radical SR3 for 123,500
  • A Group 4 car. You can get yourself a very good one of these by completing all of the Moby Dick missions to Bronze level (The Toyota 86). Gr4 cars cost 350,000 a piece otherwise, and once again you'll be spoilt for choice! Alongside the Toyota, I highly recommend the Nissan GT-R Gr4.

Most importantly, any questions then just yell!

Great summary from @kiroquai. We also do super silly stuff. If I have my way, tonight after the main race we’ll be rallying VW campervans 

Everything about MNRC is about trying to let anyone join in, so we’ll always open 2nd lobbies or choose cars that everyone has. We make the barrier to entry as low as possible.
 The key is being on the party chat. Even if you don’t talk much it lets you know what’s going on and hear all the apologies and cursing.

11 minutes ago, Junker said:

Great summary from @kiroquai. We also do super silly stuff. If I have my way, tonight after the main race we’ll be rallying VW campervans 

Everything about MNRC is about trying to let anyone join in, so we’ll always open 2nd lobbies or choose cars that everyone has. We make the barrier to entry as low as possible.
 The key is being on the party chat. Even if you don’t talk much it lets you know what’s going on and hear all the apologies and cursing.

All of what he said, even though I remain absent for the next few weeks.

And winners use pads.

:ph34r:

5 hours ago, kiroquai said:

John, I just added you to the PSN Chat Group for Monday Night Racing Club stuff :) - obviously feel free to contribute/mute as much as you wish! Would be awesome to see you out on track again. I still make silly mistakes when in good positions in races, and Mexos still runs out of fuel coming out of the final corner on the last lap. It's just like old times!

EDIT: As for your credits, in terms of the cars we use most often for our races I'd highly suggest:

• Any Group 3 car. They're usually 450,000 a piece, unless you go slightly exotic and grab something like the Castrol Supra from the Legends Dealer. My suggestions are getting the AMG Mercedes or the Porsche 911RSR but there's about 40 of the things so you'll have plenty of choice!
  • A Group 4 car. You can get yourself a very good one of these by completing all of the Moby Dick missions to Bronze level (The Toyota 86). Gr4 cars cost 350,000 a piece otherwise, and once again you'll be spoilt for choice! Alongside the Toyota, I highly recommend the Nissan GT-R Gr4.

Most importantly, any questions then just yell!

Ace thanks Kiro! Sorry couldn't make it this evening but will try and get myself sorted and aim for next week.

Cheers for the cars recommendations too! I thought anything useful might be more expensive than that but I've got about 1m to spend so that all seems surprising in budget. Hopefully see you on the track soon!

Fun races tonight! The Nurburgring enduro was intense - loved @McSpeed throwing a Gr4 curveball, although something was definitely wrong with my pit stops! I watched the replay back and I was losing just about 11 seconds per stop to everyone stopping at the same time. At one stage I was P4! Monsoon hit in the night and I couldn’t drive the final two corners. Lost a minute aquaplaning. Oh well! Here’s Louis, @Varnsen and me on the last lap.

528B0579-3CF5-466B-A634-870E695BD0C2.thumb.jpeg.bf7fc2ad7c4e1f135e0bd43cc45d6773.jpeg

‘Come race in MNRC!’ they said. ‘It’ll hark back to your glamorous days in the RLLMUK F1’ they told me (this race was actually hilarious, and @Junker rocked that Ainsley Harriott livery).

3620FC78-9C9A-4464-A801-4DB84ABE046A.thumb.jpeg.149d63225bbc94e04eb326a56e965644.jpeg

Really enjoyed the short Maggiore layout we used for the final GR3 races. Sent myself to Narnia on lap one of the first race (sorry to @Corranga who got caught up in it), but like @Varnsen I was loving how much cornering speed the 911RSR had. Beautiful race with Corranga in race two - almost snuck P2, but was out-duelled in a shootout 🙂

(Me, Corranga and a menacingly lurking @Fretnoise late in race 2).

66A76772-E33E-4DB6-8DC0-54AC2A1BAC96.thumb.jpeg.44fbdbe9c20c90c4546534342f03246d.jpeg

As ever, thanks chaps - see you next week!

Yep, great races tonight. I swear one day I’ll learn more than the first few corners of the Nordschleife. I was setting purple sectors on the GP loop, and that’s about where the good news stopped. Sorry to everyone who got involved in my rally cross antics.

Also found I was concentrating just a bit too much on the new pedals.  Totally got in the way of you @jonathanhoey after out-braking myself at the banked hairpin. Was heading for the side of the track and didn’t notice till too late that you were heading the same way.  Sorry!

Tooling up this week! :) Defo joining in next Monday night... :-

• Headset. Check.
  • Cars required. Do be sorted (today)

Looking forward to (finally!) catching up with you all on the track. Waited a while... don't mind where I come in the races TBH as long as:-

• I don't hit anyone else
  • And everyone is not waiting too long for me to finish! :D

Are there any rules regarding manual gear/ TCS / ABS? Or is it as you please?

I am guessing it's as you please :) - think MNRC has always been about people turning up and having fun on their terms (this is where Joe comes in and says all driving assists will be banned soon and we all cry).

Hey @mexos, that issue you had yesterday trying to join the Gr3 lobby. I had it before, exclusively when trying to drop to track when using the Merc with a custom livery. Not sure if you managed to fix it by swapping to the Merc when you'd joined but I had to give up and use the 911 in the end.

Last night was the first night I've been slapped with a dodgy penalty, too. In the incident where Junker span at the banked hairpin and was recovering on the grass, Fret also ran a little wide and off into the gravel. I took the corner normally, went past Fret as he was still rejoining the circuit... and got slapped with a three second penalty for ignoring yellow flags!

2 hours ago, kiroquai said:

I am guessing it's as you please :) - think MNRC has always been about people turning up and having fun on their terms (this is where Joe comes in and says all driving assists will be banned soon and we all cry).

Hey @mexos, that issue you had yesterday trying to join the Gr3 lobby. I had it before, exclusively when trying to drop to track when using the Merc with a custom livery. Not sure if you managed to fix it by swapping to the Merc when you'd joined but I had to give up and use the 911 in the end.

Last night was the first night I've been slapped with a dodgy penalty, too. In the incident where Junker span at the banked hairpin and was recovering on the grass, Fret also ran a little wide and off into the gravel. I took the corner normally, went past Fret as he was still rejoining the circuit... and got slapped with a three second penalty for ignoring yellow flags!

Yep - whatever assists you like.  Nearly everyone (if not everyone) uses ABS.  It's generally considered that TCS will make you marginally slower assuming you can keep the car pointed the right way round without it, but it's sometimes worth the tradeoff to be consistent but a bit slower here and there.  With the recent handling update, I generally race without TCS, but we're free to do as we please.  Essentially, the racing is better if people stay on track :)

And yes, that yellow flag incident... it's so difficult to figure out when it's going to penalise you and when it won't - I did think it was harsh on you as Junker and I were both having a bit of a rallycross moment.

I can't believe how much more physical and engaging the whole experience is with a loadcell brake pedal.  I don't think it made me quicker and I need to practice, but I can see the green shoots of trail braking improvements coming, as it's much easier to come off the brakes "just a bit" to get the car to turn into the corner.  But crikey, I actually ache today!

3 hours ago, MattyP said:

Tooling up this week! :) Defo joining in next Monday night... :-

• Headset. Check.
  • Cars required. Do be sorted (today)

Looking forward to (finally!) catching up with you all on the track. Waited a while... don't mind where I come in the races TBH as long as:-

• I don't hit anyone else
  • And everyone is not waiting too long for me to finish! :D

Are there any rules regarding manual gear/ TCS / ABS? Or is it as you please?

I think I should be about on monday for my debut too! I have similar aims to you for the racing, have you done any of the sport races? Ive found doing a few of those of late has been great for learning the race craft against humans as you can start to see who is going to suddenly brake way earlier than you and who to avoid from behind as they Verstappen it into a corner - staying out of trouble and being as clean as possible has defi given me as many places as being faster and overtaking!!

53 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I think I should be about on monday for my debut too! I have similar aims to you for the racing, have you done any of the sport races? Ive found doing a few of those of late has been great for learning the race craft against humans as you can start to see who is going to suddenly brake way earlier than you and who to avoid from behind as they Verstappen it into a corner - staying out of trouble and being as clean as possible has defi given me as many places as being faster and overtaking!!

Only thing I have done regarding sport is join in some daily races these were all kart based races and had fun...

So I watched back my race replay of the Nürburgring 1 Hour and it sheds light on where my race unwound. It also shed light on the fact that we all did bloody brilliantly. At one stage it was pitch black, pissing it down with rain and we were out there winding our way around the most challenging ribbon of tarmac the game has on slick tyres. Everyone should pat themselves on the back I'd say.

Going to Spoiler this so as to not clog up space with my wittering 😂 - you have been warned!

Spoiler

IMG_0627.thumb.JPG.701ffd07e9ebd0052ca6c05a7fc13940.JPG

Anyway, I took it super easy until we hit the actual Nordschleife for the first time. At that point I began picking my way through and got into an amazing little convoy with Baukster that lasted right up until the end of the second lap when he made a slight error leaving him about 8 seconds behind. At this point I caught up with @McSpeed and passed him on the long straight before diving into the pits. At this point, I was 4th.

I came out of the pits and, for some weird reason, I'd lost a bunch of time to Baukster who had also pitted. An 8-second advantage to me turned into a 3-second deficit. Thought it might be because I did tyres and fuel but looking at the replay, so did he! In any case, at this point my race got a bit scrappy. I stopped for hard tyres at the end of my 4th lap, at which point it pissed down. I got all the way around my fifth lap dealing with the increasing water level pretty well (I was racing Bart at this point), but on the long straight I aquaplaned and from that moment on it was as if my tyres were made of teflon. I literally couldn't even get the car going in a straight line on half-throttle. It was really weird - can't really explain what was going on! I lost almost an entire minute spinning around like an idiot before crawling into the pits to switch to full wets at the start of Lap 6. Once again, I lost a load of time into some weird kind of void. I was right on Fret's bumper when I came in, but according to the replay I was 12 seconds behind leaving the pits. All this dropped me from potentially a top 5 position to the fringes of the top 10.

Of course, as soon as I put the wet tyres on the rain stopped. At the end of the lap someone said to Bart it'd be fun if he risked slicks. I agreed and came in and fitted a set of Racing Mediums and then went about two laps I am really personally proud of. The track was still bloody wet off-line but I managed to keep the car on the dry patch for almost all of the time, and pretty quickly it became apparent I had a big tyre advantage on those who'd stuck it out on inters or wets. Reeled in Fret and moseyed past him, think I got past Corranga at one point and then caught @Varnsen and Louis who were fighting on the last lap. Sadly my Alfa lacked the guts to keep up along the long back straight; tried to make it all up on the final few corners and almost did, but not quite!

All of the above is why I love longer races. It's like a little story playing out with a whole load of different narrative branches throughout the hour. So many points of the race where tough decisions had to be made about the weather, fuel strategy etc etc. Plus this game just looks AMAZING. Pelting around the circuit as the sun set was challenging not only due to the low sun, but also because I wanted to look at the scenery!

TL;DR - I had a confusing race but it was great fun and I look forward to doing more.

nice write up! I do wish I could have squeezed in more practice as the Jag understeer really scuppered me on the dry track let alone when the rain came down! Still, had some hilarious battles on the last lap with Louis and Kiro! Absolute carnage.

Also, I'm still writing that letter to your kids @Junker to apologise for the verstappen elbows out 'how rude' move at Lago Maggiore. I still feel ashamed!

14 hours ago, Fretnoise said:

Also found I was concentrating just a bit too much on the new pedals.  Totally got in the way of you @jonathanhoey after out-braking myself at the banked hairpin. Was heading for the side of the track and didn’t notice till too late that you were heading the same way.  Sorry!

Don't worry about it my dude! I know exactly the moment you mean, and it's just one of those things. I was about three seconds off the pace at that course anyway so it didn't affect my finishing position one bit :lol:

23 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

So I watched back my race replay of the Nürburgring 1 Hour and it sheds light on where my race unwound. It also shed light on the fact that we all did bloody brilliantly. At one stage it was pitch black, pissing it down with rain and we were out there winding our way around the most challenging ribbon of tarmac the game has on slick tyres. Everyone should pat themselves on the back I'd say.

Going to Spoiler this so as to not clog up space with my wittering 😂 - you have been warned!

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_0627.thumb.JPG.701ffd07e9ebd0052ca6c05a7fc13940.JPG

Anyway, I took it super easy until we hit the actual Nordschleife for the first time. At that point I began picking my way through and got into an amazing little convoy with Baukster that lasted right up until the end of the second lap when he made a slight error leaving him about 8 seconds behind. At this point I caught up with @McSpeed and passed him on the long straight before diving into the pits. At this point, I was 4th.

I came out of the pits and, for some weird reason, I'd lost a bunch of time to Baukster who had also pitted. An 8-second advantage to me turned into a 3-second deficit. Thought it might be because I did tyres and fuel but looking at the replay, so did he! In any case, at this point my race got a bit scrappy. I stopped for hard tyres at the end of my 4th lap, at which point it pissed down. I got all the way around my fifth lap dealing with the increasing water level pretty well (I was racing Bart at this point), but on the long straight I aquaplaned and from that moment on it was as if my tyres were made of teflon. I literally couldn't even get the car going in a straight line on half-throttle. It was really weird - can't really explain what was going on! I lost almost an entire minute spinning around like an idiot before crawling into the pits to switch to full wets at the start of Lap 6. Once again, I lost a load of time into some weird kind of void. I was right on Fret's bumper when I came in, but according to the replay I was 12 seconds behind leaving the pits. All this dropped me from potentially a top 5 position to the fringes of the top 10.

Of course, as soon as I put the wet tyres on the rain stopped. At the end of the lap someone said to Bart it'd be fun if he risked slicks. I agreed and came in and fitted a set of Racing Mediums and then went about two laps I am really personally proud of. The track was still bloody wet off-line but I managed to keep the car on the dry patch for almost all of the time, and pretty quickly it became apparent I had either a big tyre advantage on those who'd stuck it out on inters or wets. Reeled in Fret and moseyed past him, think I got past Corranga at one point and then caught @Varnsen and Louis who were fighting on the last lap. Sadly my Alfa lacked the guts to keep up along the long back straight; tried to make it all up on the final few corners and almost did, but not quite!

All of the above is why I love longer races. It's like a little story playing out with a whole load of different narrative branches throughout the hour. So many points of the race where tough decisions had to be made about the weather, fuel strategy etc etc. Plus this game just looks AMAZING. Pelting around the circuit as the sun set was challenging not only due to the low sun, but also because I wanted to look at the scenery!

TL;DR - I had a confusing race but it was great fun and I look forward to doing more.

I can imagine driving in the dark on slicks in the rain presenting something of a challenge... :D This is one of the aspects I love about this game the dynamic weather brings a whole new dimension and challenge to the game - especially on the 'Ring where it can change on different parts of it. Nursing your car around on slicks is frustrating and rewarding in equal measures...

It was possibly the most atmospheric thing I've experienced in a racing game. By the time the first few spots of rain started hitting the windscreen the majority of us were only about halfway around the track and with at least 4-5 minutes before we were going to get to the pits. You could definitely tell how much of an 'uh-oh' moment it was because voice chat went distinctly quiet for a few minutes :lol:

One thing that was really neat was the track had varying levels of wetness. The GP circuit was mostly dry, whereas mid-final sections of the actual Ring itself were soaked.

1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

One thing that was really neat was the track had varying levels of wetness. The GP circuit was mostly dry, whereas mid-final sections of the actual Ring itself were soaked.

It's the details like this that make it really special... love the attention to detail. 

2 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Reeled in Fret and moseyed past him

…who was on soft slicks but not making them work anywhere near as well :)

Can you share your replay in game, please? I’d quite like to have a look at my massive off down the back straight again, with less clenching this time…

What is the essence of Gran Turismo?

Tuning the nuts off a nearly-40-year-old toyota and using it to beat modern GTs!

image.thumb.png.63605fe153820a4d8266448ee06c9ef6.png

@John0 Worth saying also in terms of new starters, you can get a free loan of a Group 3 and Group 4 car by signing up to the manufacturers cup in sport mode. Saves some useful cash and you can use them offline on some fairly lucrative races.

23 hours ago, kiroquai said:

image.thumb.png.c26d511106e8d68e1932e31107003a42.png

image.thumb.png.eb0d4f1440e9d1a8e8600acc2e9bda5d.png

image.thumb.png.b11e1c92754e37a8859f02cb5ce8a848.png

image.thumb.png.6f31d533cc7c4635949165482b6452fb.png

My choices above! :) I think Gr.4 is group 4 that would be logical right... :D Had to be an Alfa... only one I could find in Gr4.... The Gr.3 Ferrari is a slippery car on track :)  But it won me the last race in the cafe cards... so going with that. Also the engine sounds great... 

18 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Sent myself to Narnia on lap one of the first race (sorry to @Corranga who got caught up in it), but like @Varnsen I was loving how much cornering speed the 911RSR had. Beautiful race with Corranga in race two - almost snuck P2, but was out-duelled in a shootout 🙂

(Me, Corranga and a menacingly lurking @Fretnoise late in race 2).

66A76772-E33E-4DB6-8DC0-54AC2A1BAC96.thumb.jpeg.44fbdbe9c20c90c4546534342f03246d.jpeg

They were great races. I enjoyed racing back through in race 1. I felt at one with my Jag and could push it round pet quickly and I think sideways half of the time.

In the second race I was busy concentrating on how to close up to Junker and made a couple of errors then saw you catching and felt the pressure. It was clear to see the differences between the 2 cars which  made it even better than things were so close. Great fun :) 

The 3 of us who hung around afterwards did a car swap, the Porsche is so composed in the corners compared to the Jag, and so confident in the brakes, while the Jag is like a rocket on the straights but needs some coaxing to get it to turn.