Gran Turismo 7: PSVR2 upgrade confirmed.

p1nseeker

11 minutes ago, dave7g said:

Nah, I'm not going that far. I'll get a stand which is about 100 or so and a wheel. Not getting a crazy seat rig, might as well just buy a car instead.

That’s how it starts…

4 hours ago, Junker said:

I don’t think there’s anything that works PlayStation AND Xbox and PC.

Most are PS and PC or Xbox and PC compatible, and it’s determined by the wheel base. An exception is Fanatec where the chip ( or whatever it is that controls it) is in the wheel rim itself, so you can swap rims to move across from Xbox to PS. Fanatec are mid range and above though, so when you asked for value it depends on your budget?

the playstation chip is in the wheel base and the xbox chips are in the wheel rims so you can have one that works on both without swapping rims (might have to buy an extra rim mind if they still don't sell the ps base separate) but yeah it's still confusing/messy solution that they don't explain well and they won't sell all that together in the same pack probably due to licensing/ms/sony not liking it. agree with the logitech/thrustmaster recommendations they're better value imo anyway.

3 hours ago, spatular said:

the playstation chip is in the wheel base and the xbox chips are in the wheel rims so you can have one that works on both without swapping rims

That is interesting, never knew that’s how it worked. 

On 01/02/2023 at 10:54, dave7g said:

Have p PSVR2 ordered and I really shouldn't do this but I'm going to ask about getting a wheel.

What is the best value wheel that will work with PC and Xbox too? Also is there a mount for it that can be easily folded in half and thrown under a desk?

Cheers

On 01/02/2023 at 14:11, Junker said:

I don’t think there’s anything that works PlayStation AND Xbox and PC.

There are 2 possible answers (buying new)

Fanatec GT DD Pro:

https://fanatec.com/eu-en/bundles/gran-turismo-dd-pro-8-nm

AND

A Fanatec McLaren GT3 wheel rim.
https://fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/csl-elite-steering-wheel-mclaren-gt3-v2

The first bit is ps4/5 and PC compatible, and the McLaren rim adds Xbox.  Value.. hard to say really, it’sa very good setup, but it’s 850Eur plus 200Eur, plus postage. You can probably sell the GT wheel rim to get 150-200 back, you can use the McLaren one on PlayStation.

The other option is any wheel and a drive hub, but I don’t like the idea / never used it / not sure I’d recommend relying on an external box to relay you force Feedback as intended.

The flip side for me anyway is, ignore Xbox. The games are all on pc anyway and will play better as Xbox FFB somehow never feels right (imo, I have the above setup)

41 minutes ago, Polmon said:

Question for the veteran racers: was this my fault? 

Your fault? No. Avoidable? Well, maybe. In real life you'd have at least unpinned the throttle and tried to give him more space... but it's not real life, and you did what 99% of people would do in public lobbies (and probably private ones too, to be fair, as there was a chance your nudge would have straightened him out and helped him a little)

I think I would have done pretty much exactly the same as you, and been just as annoyed with the penalty.

I had a dead heat in that race last night - I got a run on the guy in front coming out of the last hairpin, and we drag raced all the way to the line.  In the race I was given the place (and in the replay my name gets the chequered flag a frame before his), but the other guy got it in the results, and we had the same time down to the thousandths. Bah.

Also witnessed some amusing red mist, as a guy took out his nemesis on the back straight, but took himself out at the same time and allowed me to waft through like Moses at the Red Sea.  Simply lovely.

If you're doing the TT this week, I found mapping nitro/overtake to both gear shifter paddles helpful, since the car doesn't do gears anyway and you really need to be using DRS for almost the entire lap.  Having it mapped to both paddles means that you can switch hands for a rest without losing the DRS goodness, and you can use the hand that isn't doing all the steering - I find my right hand does most of the actual steering on right turns, and vice versa, so the other hand can be pulling the DRS switch.

It's a fun one.  The fastest guy has the DRS open basically whenever he's not braking, including for the whole of the 2nd long left hander... Voodoo.  I can just about do it with a small lift, but engaging DRS, being flat out and being as far left as possible over the rumble strip just adds up to a very quick trip to the outside barrier.

@Polmon  that was a bit harsh but I think the explanation would be the game  would have calculated him being on track at the point of impact and you being on full throttle so gave you the penalty.  I don’t think it’s sophisticated enough to realise he’d just been off track moments before which was the root cause. 

27 minutes ago, Junker said:

@Polmon  that was a bit harsh but I think the explanation would be the game  would have calculated him being on track at the point of impact and you being on full throttle so gave you the penalty.  I don’t think it’s sophisticated enough to realise he’d just been off track moments before which was the root cause. 

Yeah, every other time I've seen a car roll onto the track slowly after hitting a barrier they have ghosted, which I expected to happen there too (you can see I initially moved away from him before assuming he would ghost out). It's a pretty poor system, but thankfully that didn't seem to hit my SR too hard. 

Does anyone have a good suggestion for car to use for the Race C this week? I have a bunch of those Silvia / SilEighty cars from the menu collections, but I'm not sure which to y use our what kind of build to put together. 

2 minutes ago, Polmon said:

Yeah, every other time I've seen a car roll onto the track slowly after hitting a barrier they have ghosted, which I expected to happen there too (you can see I initially moved away from him before assuming he would ghost out). It's a pretty poor system, but thankfully that did t seem to hit my SR too hard. 

Does anyone have a good suggestion for car to use for the Race C this week? I have a bunch of those Silvia / SilEighty cars from the menu collections, but I'm not sure which to y use our what kind of build to put together. 

The ghosting happens differently depending on the SR of the lobby, I think.  More / earlier ghosting in lower ranked lobbies.  If you're moving through the SR ranks that may explain the different behaviour.

Somehow after telling my mate yesterday Fanatec had DD Pro stock again h haas gone from having nothing to ordering a full DD Pro kit, rig with seat and a PSVR2 order in…. I fear FOMO is gonna get me any day now, that VR footage did look good tho…..

@Polmon, I see you made the Damon Hill error there and dared to try and overtake a crashing car….other than track positioning I dont think you did much wrong, as others have said it was avoidable with the benefit of replays but most of us would have done the same as you and been as annoyed at the stupid penalty. 

Just wait until you grave a wall, spin and end up at the back of the pack with a 1.5sec penalty for hitting the wall……

5 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Somehow after telling my mate yesterday Fanatec had DD Pro stock again h haas gone from having nothing to ordering a full DD Pro kit, rig with seat and a PSVR2 order in…. I fear FOMO is gonna get me any day now, that VR footage did look good tho…..

@Polmon, I see you made the Damon Hill error there and dared to try and overtake a crashing car….other than track positioning I dont think you did much wrong, as others have said it was avoidable with the benefit of replays but most of us would have done the same as you and been as annoyed at the stupid penalty. 

Just wait until you grave a wall, spin and end up at the back of the pack with a 1.5sec penalty for hitting the wall……

Oh, I've been there. Even better, during last weeks Race B I got pushed off the first corner into the barrier, ended up 10 second behind everyone with a 1.5s penalty reward. I wonder if PD are putting any time into improving the penalty / SR system? It feels very unfinished currently. 

1 hour ago, Polmon said:

I wonder if PD are putting any time into improving the penalty / SR system? It feels very unfinished currently. 

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. It's been borked for years

1 hour ago, Polmon said:

Oh, I've been there. Even better, during last weeks Race B I got pushed off the first corner into the barrier, ended up 10 second behind everyone with a 1.5s penalty reward. I wonder if PD are putting any time into improving the penalty / SR system? It feels very unfinished currently. 

This is the improved penalty system 😂🤣

It regularly changes... and then within about 3 or 4 nanoseconds the idiots online have learnt how to exploit the new algorithm.  Remember when bump drafting would penalise the guy in front?  That was a good one...

Got the platinum on this last night - there are quite a few stupid trophies (own 10 of the same car; why would anyone do that?) but nothing really egregious. 

I've done golded all the licences and missions (except The Human Comedy ones - I need to buy cars for most of those), and I'm about 2/3s of the way through the circuit experiences. After that there are a load of additional races I want to do which the menus don't cover (there is a 1 hr race on one track which nets 1m credits, which looks nice). Also, I need two cars for the extra menus to finish those off; an invite only Bugatti, and a classic Skyline which hasn't appeared in the Legends shop since I started playing this. Gonna be a while before I finish those, I think. 

I wish the online races paid a little better, it just seems far better to earn money on a couple of the other single player races instead. That said, getting a good race in online is a real dice roll too. 

Is there any detail about the Feb update yet beyond the VR update? 

Monday Night Racing Club was fun last night. Oddly enough not one shout of lag? 
 Also if anyone is interested the 22B Impreza is in the used car sales and is a good addition to MNRC race nights -and the RS500 Cossie is in there as well