Wolverine - Insomniac Games, PS5

Doctor Shark

1 hour ago, MansizeRooster said:

Seriously, I think they might be in for a bit of a challenge here. Spidey's big hook was the city-traversal mechanics, which they're going to have to jettison for this. It's going to have to be much more of a brawler with much less scope for quick traversal.

Surely he'll just run up things quickly with his claws and then leap about the place? Like it's not going to be as grand as Spiderman, but they'll definitely be fast and fluid traversal, beyond the level of say, an Assassins Creed.

Whilst you can totally imagine them nailing the character and vibes of a Wolverine game (seems they're going for his introduction scene at the start of the first X-Men film here, for example) it's certainly true that it would have to be a very different game to Spider-Man. He just doesn't have any fancy movement powers, so you're left with standard running around, presumably slicing idiots up, and a regenerating health bar that doesn't really lend any differentiation from any other modern videogame character.

(I can't remember how that working in the old Wolverine game, by the way, do you end up in a funny situation where replicating his healing powers ends up making him feel weaker than, say, Nathan Drake?)

I've got a lot of confidence that Insomniac can make a great game of him, though.

Just now, RubberJohnny said:

Surely he'll just scale up things quickly with his claws and then leap about the place? Like it's not going to be as grand as Spiderman, but they'll definitely be fast and fluid traversal, as there was in say, Hulk.

That's a good point.

26 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Whilst you can totally imagine them nailing the character and vibes of a Wolverine game (seems they're going for his introduction scene at the start of the first X-Men film here, for example) it's certainly true that it would have to be a very different game to Spider-Man. He just doesn't have any fancy movement powers, so you're left with standard running around, presumably slicing idiots up, and a regenerating health bar that doesn't really lend any differentiation from any other modern videogame character.

(I can't remember how that working in the old Wolverine game, by the way, do you end up in a funny situation where replicating his healing powers ends up making him feel weaker than, say, Nathan Drake?)

I've got a lot of confidence that Insomniac can make a great game of him, though.

Judging by that little trailer i'm willing to bet he has a motorbike too....

Do people expect this to be set in a city environment like Spiderman or in a more rural setting? I'm sorta hoping it'll be something like Days Gone starring Wolverine where you are going through mid-west America uncovering Stykers latest shenanigans. Fighting mutant racoons in the woods and that sort of thing.

Or just remake Roadhouse with Wolverine instead of Dalton. 

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

Surely he'll just run up things quickly with his claws and then leap about the place? Like it's not going to be as grand as Spiderman, but they'll definitely be fast and fluid traversal, as there was in say, Hulk.

(Or Infamous)

No, they're not remotely comparable. The Hulk can leap over buildings, entire city blocks even. Wolverine is just a dude with a healing factor, claws, and adamantium skeleton. He's no more mobile than say Hawkeye or Nick Fury. He doesn't have super speed or strength.

Something like a cross between the Arkham games and Days Gone would fit Wolverine. Obviously with claws instead of gadgets or guns. Him riding around on a bike is something he does all the time in the comics.

Just now, Waggo said:

Going to be Xmas 2023 at the earliest before we see this though ain't it?

I love a bit of hype, but it's all so far away.😒

The upside is that the game won't have to take the underpowered potato CPU in the PS4 into account. Rejoice!

5 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Going to be Xmas 2023 at the earliest before we see this though ain't it?

I love a bit of hype, but it's all so far away.😒

spiderman is slated for 2023, so probably after that…