Hate is a strong word.

dumpster

People say "I hate cress".  But you don't "hate" it. You may not like it in your sandwich but it takes a serious mental issue to actively hate cress. 

So keeping in mind the definition and severity of actual hatred, what games do you hate?

For me, the recent 12 minutes on Xbox Gamepass is a game that really left me feeling angry.  What starts off as an interesting proposition with a good premise and ideas, suddenly starts to go off the rails.  You're forced to take some of the worst courses of action possible, the story is deliberately controversial and overall it just feels a bit grubby. 

Then I started to see how much publicity the game was getting for having famous actors like Daisy Ridley and Willem Dafoe involved.  They must have spent a lot of money on these actors and for what? Does the game benefit? Can you even tell it's them?

I don't know, there's just something about this game that really got me worked up and I wondered if that would make an interesting topic. Probably not. But if it does, what games if any have made you feel genuine hate?

I was pretty fucking unimpressed with Dead or Alive of all things once it started stuffing its roster full of characters that look like kids.

Not only that, they leaned into it full blast and made them the face of a series that always had a strong emphasis on so called fanservice.

Turned me clean off, and I can't really look at the series without a certain amount of anger building up at what they'd done to a series I'd enjoyed up until that point.

Aliens Colonial Marines for me all day long.  

I was so hyped for that game, the game itself was massively hyped by the media & it was an utter turd.

I still have not fully forgiven Sega, despite the plenty of other stellar titles they have produced and distributed over the years.

PLAYER CHOICE!*

*you're required to choose between the xenophobic military faction and the hardcore religious rebels.

*until we disregard everything you did and force our own narrative down your throat.

😒

I don't think I can actively hate anything to do with videogames themselves. The most I can muster is a moderate slope into not giving a shit and forgetting about said game altogether.

There's definitely aspects around the hobby I find exceptionally loathsome, mind - usually industry figures who are irredeemable cunts.

I hate Madworld on the Wii. I've said it before on here but it's the only game I can remember playing where I was nervous about the idea of someone walking in and seeing me playing it. I got as far as the third black baron section and never touched it again. 

Hate is a tricky word because I can find a lot of "fun" in objectively terrible games. In February this year I made an effort to emulate - and play through - Kabuki Warriors on Xbox. It's regarded as one of the worst fighting games of all time, but the fact that everything was so low-effort provided some twisted amusement. In contrast, Street Fighter X Tekken is definitely more sophisticated than KW, but I feel like I need a shower after playing it because the rollback glitches and mountains of DLC and borked systems aren't something that should be encouraged.

FFIII on DS wound me up because of the grind, I guess. Almost every single time I found the boss of a dungeon it would wipe the floor with me and I'd have to spend an eternity in random battles. This lasted up until I realised I could be spending my time playing something more engaging, but I had still got as far as the penultimate dungeon by then.

I should give it another go.

I hate the aesthetics of the PS5 console - its the most impractical thing ever constructed when horizonal, as is the location of the disc drive.

Also hate for the last Doom game and Returnal, for me buying them (and quickly selling on) and realising (in this order) its shit / won't ever get time to dedicate to it because some goons thought a save+quit = standby mode (when we are supposed to be saving the planet)

1 hour ago, Boozy The Clown said:

I "hate" your topics.

Topics are a nice chocolate bar that doesn’t get enough attention because why would you ever buy one over anything else on offer? But whenever I do have one I’m like “wow, topics are nice, I should eat them more often”. 

25 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Topics are a nice chocolate bar that doesn’t get enough attention because why would you ever buy one over anything else on offer? But whenever I do have one I’m like “wow, topics are nice, I should eat them more often”. 

Topics are last chocolate bar left in the selection box.

5 hours ago, dumpster said:

People say "I hate cress".  But you don't "hate" it. You may not like it in your sandwich but it takes a serious mental issue to actively hate cress. 

So keeping in mind the definition and severity of actual hatred, what games do you hate?

For me, the recent 12 minutes on Xbox Gamepass is a game that really left me feeling angry.  What starts off as an interesting proposition with a good premise and ideas, suddenly starts to go off the rails.  You're forced to take some of the worst courses of action possible, the story is deliberately controversial and overall it just feels a bit grubby. 

Then I started to see how much publicity the game was getting for having famous actors like Daisy Ridley and Willem Dafoe involved.  They must have spent a lot of money on these actors and for what? Does the game benefit? Can you even tell it's them?

I don't know, there's just something about this game that really got me worked up and I wondered if that would make an interesting topic. Probably not. But if it does, what games if any have made you feel genuine hate?

I find your example interesting given the topic name. As you’ve quite rightly pointed out, hate is a strong word. So do you really ‘hate’ 12 Minutes?

I agree with all the criticism you’ve levelled at it, but I’m not sure I could ever say I ‘hate’ it. I can still see merit in the effort the dev put in trying to achieve something, in my mind they just missed the mark. 

I do think people are too quick to say they hate something. I’m guilty of it myself from time to time, but really it’s just a quick and lazy way of communicating that you didn’t like said thing.

I hate Geoff Keighley and his constant ignoring of the problems with the games industry in order to shill for Activision Blizzard and Ubi Soft.

He's a fucking cunt and I would love to beat the shit out of him.

13 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

I find your example interesting given the topic name. As you’ve quite rightly pointed out, hate is a strong word. So do you really ‘hate’ 12 Minutes?

I agree with all the criticism you’ve levelled at it, but I’m not sure I could ever say I ‘hate’ it. I can still see merit in the effort the dev put in trying to achieve something, in my mind they just missed the mark. 

I do think people are too quick to say they hate something. I’m guilty of it myself from time to time, but really it’s just a quick and lazy way of communicating that you didn’t like said thing.

That's a really good post there.  I think I do have specific feeling against 12 minutes, way more than I've felt before.  I get feelings from time to time that gaming is leaving me behind and slowly morphing into a hobby I'm not interested in.  Like, I'm playing Need For Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered because it gives me that vibe of Burnout 2 from years gone by.  Meanwhile, I'm enjoying other racers like Forza but still thinking it's sad that the arcade racer seems to have been resigned to the past now.  Then I try something like 12 minutes and it somehow seems to be too up itself, too arty, too deliberately contraversial. Oh look, it must be good because it has famous people in it.  While I was playing it, certain plot twists occured.  Instead of thinking "I will stop playing this game, I'm not enjoying it", I felt, "oh for fucks sake look at what they're doing now" and turning it off out of disgust. 

15 minutes ago, Gambit said:

I hate Geoff Keighley and his constant ignoring of the problems with the games industry in order to shill for Activision Blizzard and Ubi Soft.

He's a fucking cunt and I would love to beat the shit out of him.

Bingo. 

I hate games that use cheap tricks like

loot boxes and microtransactions to monetise giving players endorphin rushes, especially ones aimed at kids.

As for specific games, I think it’s too strong a word.

14 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

I think of them like a posh Snickers.