"Games Season" is looking a bit thin - what are you excited for?

HarryBizzle

As soon as it’s dark enough outside and winter kicks in I’m going to completely kick the fuck out of returnal. When I come up for air, hopefully halo is out. I’ve recently got game pass so there’s loads I’ve get lined up there. 

literally need nothing else. Far cry 6 could sneak in.

3 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Having an Xbox with Gamepass I am default excited for Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5. Even though Halo might be shite.

It seems like pretty much everyone is resigned to Halo probably being shite, so I’m hoping we’re all going to be pleasantly surprised and it’s a stone cold classic.

I’m setting myself up for a fall again, aren’t I?

Thinking about it, I’m probably most excited for the Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk upgrades on Series X.

Managed to resist Cyberpunk for a year, so hopefully will never experience the full disappointment it was on launch. Played dozens of hours of Witcher 3 on PS4 but never ever came close to finishing it. More than happy to start from scratch with a buttery-smooth, ray-traced 4k version.

It might just be a happy Christmas after all.

1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

so hopefully will never experience the full disappointment it was on launch.

It was far from a disappointment at launch and I honestly can’t see the X version being much different. It’s already an amazing looking game. Still, you’ll have plenty of fun when you do get to play it.

I have a massive backlog but I'm really looking forward to and definitely getting:

Forza Horizon 5

Battlefield

Super Monkey ball

Back 4 Blood

Halo

Sable

Hell Let Loose

And whatever surprises hit Gamepass. 

Pretty stacked end of the year for me. And to think I have not paid a penny for the games not coming to Gamepass (and nearly all the ones I mentioned are) . God bless Microsoft rewards. 

4 hours ago, JPL said:

It was far from a disappointment at launch and I honestly can’t see the X version being much different. It’s already an amazing looking game. Still, you’ll have plenty of fun when you do get to play it.

Ok, I thought it was buggy as hell and ran like a flick-book.

12 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Nah, it’s always been brilliant on Series X. There’s a few minor bugs, but nothing game breaking and it’s looked fantastic since launch day.

On 16/09/2021 at 20:15, JPL said:

It seems like pretty much everyone is resigned to Halo probably being shite, so I’m hoping we’re all going to be pleasantly surprised and it’s a stone cold classic.

I’m setting myself up for a fall again, aren’t I?

Halo probably isn’t going to be very good, but low expectations might mean we’ll all be satisfied if the campaign is, say, Halo 4 standard, which was a perfectly decent time.

But even though my hopes aren’t high, I’m still excited to be getting a proper massive blockbuster dropping on Gamepass day one. To me that’s the big promise of the service and it has rarely materialised up to now - I think this is really only the third genuinely big game to debut like this and the last one (Gears 5) was two years ago, astonishingly.

Halo is the kind of game where whether it’s good or not, it will seem mind boggling that it’s been released for a small monthly fee. I don’t even think many Netflix or Amazon Prime films have managed to have that kind of big-time feel.

6 minutes ago, Flanders said:

Halo probably isn’t going to be very good, but low expectations might mean we’ll all be satisfied if the campaign is, say, Halo 4 standard, which was a perfectly decent time.

But even though my hopes aren’t high, I’m still excited to be getting a proper massive blockbuster dropping on Gamepass day one. To me that’s the big promise of the service and it has rarely materialised up to now - I think this is really only the third genuinely big game to debut like this and the last one (Gears 5) was two years ago, astonishingly.

Halo is the kind of game where whether it’s good or not, it will seem mind boggling that it’s been released for a small monthly fee. I don’t even think many Netflix or Amazon Prime films have managed to have that kind of big-time feel.

God, I hope it’s way better than Halo 4. Bar the graphics looking a bit basic, I think the campaign reveal looked great last year.

I’ll be massively disappointed if it turns out to be average.

Two things Halo 5 did wrong - it changed the control scheme to match Call of Duty, and had those weird non-combat sections where you walked around doing entirely uninteresting things. But on the other hand, Halo 4 change all the guns to sound like pea shooters, and the Grunts no longer said amusing things, for which Halo 5 massively over-corrected (and rightly so). 

They’re both still Halo games, but the linearity of the Halo 4 levels means I do think 5 represents an overall improvement. 

If Infinite ends up being of 4’s standard I’ll be over the moon, as someone who’s not arsed about MP I don’t think there’s a single thing 5 did better. 4 looks better, plays better, has more imaginative levels with far better balancing and mostly tells a coherent story.

I quite like how everyone’s arguing about Halo 4 & 5, while Infinite is slowly creeping up.

They’re doing another test flight next weekend with big team included. Should be a good opportunity to check out the larger maps and vehicular combat. I’ve always enjoyed big team, so I’m really looking forward to it.

On 18/09/2021 at 15:47, womblingfree said:

I have to keep saying it but it was less buggy that Watch Dogs Legion and Hitman 3 which I played either side of it and it ran just fine on a one x, never mind a series.

The internet just "decided" it was bad actually, like they do. It was fantastically less buggy than anything Fallout/Elder Scrolls has ever been.