IGNORED

Total War Warhammer III - 2022

Doctor Shark

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

How would gamepass work if you have WH and WH2 on steam for the eventual life ending 3 game spanning mortal empires?

No definitive details yet but some prominent youtubers seem to think that 1 and 2 will be bundled with 3 but no DLC (makes sense) so you'll have Immortal Empire when it launches. If you've got every bit of content the game has launched on Steam (like me) then you're out of luck as it doesn't carry across platforms.

It makes no difference to me as I'll carry on buying on Steam but it's a great move so people can dip their toes in and try the game out, hopefully enjoy it and then buy the DLC on WIndows store. Such a great game I really hope it gets an even bigger audience.

• 3 weeks later...

Released a few days ago but here is the trailer for the last two Chaos factions (one 'faction' left to go).

Gran'pappy Nurgle and chips, dips chains and whips BDSM lover Slaneesh.

Big tanky slow bois v hard and fast glass cannons.

Team Green for me.

11 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

The rosters look pretty barebones right now but I imagine it'll be much more filled out by the time a super duper mortal empires appears. 

I think they're comparable to the other game launches. Don't forget how utterly shite the Skaven were in TW2 until the DLC packs fleshed them out. Can you imagine playing without any weapons team units? Same for your precious cheatmode Sisters; they didn't join until the Hellebron DLC.

So do we think they're going for Belakor with a united Chaos/Norsca roster for the final faction, or are they going to pull a sneaky and stick something leftfield in? As much as I'd love to see the chorfs as the final reveal I think they're going to be the first DLC pack around May-ish time.

It's either chaos Dwarves or they'll update Norsca which quite honestly is the faction most in need of fixing but that means essentially you have 7 chaos factions. 

I'm most looking forward to playing Tzeentch and what they do with the Skaven later down line in Cathay.

I don't think there's going to be another faction on launch. You already have the 4 Chaos factions, Kislev, Cathy & Ogre Kingdoms. I think that's going to be it until the first expansion which will probably be Chaos Dwarfs.

1 hour ago, Zael said:

I don't think there's going to be another faction on launch. You already have the 4 Chaos factions, Kislev, Cathy & Ogre Kingdoms. I think that's going to be it until the first expansion which will probably be Chaos Dwarfs.

Well there is still one LL that they've not revealed. As I mentioned, general consensus is Belakor leading an army of Chaos Warriors/Norsca/selected daemon units but they could surprise us. It'll probably be Boris leading Middenland or something for the memes and lolz. 

• 1 month later...

In a very surprising move (until it was leaked by a Russian site yesterday) the final LL isn't Be'Lakor but essentially a build-your-own-demon LL. Pick and choose what bits you want from the ruinous powers and have at it, or be a simp and bend over for one of the big four.

On 20/01/2022 at 13:55, yashiro said:

That trailer vid makes the game look janky as hell.  It's been a while since I've such shit animation.

You want to see shit animation?

Not sure that is a spawning mechanic that'll ever catch on mind.

• 3 weeks later...

The gimmicks behind the campaign sound even worse than Vortex campaign for Total Warhammer 2, especially action set pieces based on Tower Defence of all things.

I really don't think that RTS-style micromanagement suits the game at all, it just looks ridiculous seeing units moving so game-ily across the battlefield (and it's also hard making yourself not do it). Like if there was a single unit of body poppers jerking around in one of the epic battles in Lord of the Rings. I'd prefer some sort of system where commands were rate limited, or more maybe possible orders had to selected from a list defined before battle. There are already behaviour modes you can set on units (avoid combat, fire at will, don't advance) so maybe just an extension of these. Anything would be better than move to this exact square inch NOW, this one NOW, this one NOW, shoot,

My other problem with (and I admit that this is just me) it is that I played Warhammer when I was a kid, and anything released after the mid 90's doesn't have that nostalgic connection and looks like absurd power-creep. I tried to not using any newfangled stuff as Skaven (no artillery or the aptly named Abomination, probably the laziest design I've ever see) but it made things way too hard. So I guess I'll have to venture beyond my Kislev comfort zone of Katarina, horse-archers and winged lancers, and embrace the bear cavalry.

At least the computer-based nature of it will mean that Toby isn't always pestering us to use the old hit chart because the new one doesn't reflect the true martial prowess of elves.

The asynchronous co-op mode sounds amazing though, and will be perfect for Mortal Empires when it's ready. Mortal Empires is so replayable and generates such great drama. There's been many an occasion when I couldn't sleep because I was stressing about something pivotal such the build up of troops outside Praag. I've got plenty of friends to play co-op campaigns with (although sadly Toby doesn't have a PC) but never even contemplated it because of how much time you'd be spending looking at someone else going through menus. Having several of us in the same campaign could really be dangerously addictive.

The first battle in the prologuue is a recreation of the January 6th attack on the Capitol Building, isn't it?  It's a siege, and the attacking army is a bunch of badly-dressed mutants and fanatics, lead by a guy in a ridiculous animal hide headdress.

I really want to be playing this more but it is running incredibly poorly for me right now. The campaign map is especially brutal so I’m going to hold off and keep an eye on Reddit etc with the hopes that things improve.

My pc isn’t a monster but it is better than the performance I’m getting. 

Argh, I really hate when PC games throw you straight in without letting me at the options first. I know many want a "console" like experience where you just get going but I want to check the resolution and other graphics options before I play. So having to start the prologue, Escape through all the cut scenes simply to be able to go to the main menu is a terrible experience. Given it made me pick an accessibility option and whether to play the prologue or not a simple "fuck off and take me to the main menu" button wouldn't have gone amiss.

On the game itself... I've never really played a Total War game much because I'm always put off of everything that isn't the core RTS. I don't really care about the campaign level stuff other than picking which battle to have next. The last one left me just completely put off the moment I'd finished the first fight.

I guess I just want Warhammer Dark Omen again.

But anyway. Looking forward to trying this given it's on Game Pass.

Watch out when choosing your campaign on this if you're new. CA have marked Kislev and Chaos Undivided as beginner campaigns but as someone who's put hundreds of hours into Warhammer 1 & 2, I'm fighting for my life as Chaos Undivided. It's brutal and I've heard Kislev is the same. 

I had a similar question actually. I've yet to play any of these despite somehow owning both previous games with all the DLC. I figured it would be good to have everything in place for the combined mega-campaign in III, but is it worth playing some of the campaigns in the first two games to learn the ropes?

1 hour ago, thesnwmn said:

Argh, I really hate when PC games throw you straight in without letting me at the options first. I know many want a "console" like experience where you just get going but I want to check the resolution and other graphics options before I play. So having to start the prologue, Escape through all the cut scenes simply to be able to go to the main menu is a terrible experience. Given it made me pick an accessibility option and whether to play the prologue or not a simple "fuck off and take me to the main menu" button wouldn't have gone amiss.

On the game itself... I've never really played a Total War game much because I'm always put off of everything that isn't the core RTS. I don't really care about the campaign level stuff other than picking which battle to have next. The last one left me just completely put off the moment I'd finished the first fight.

I guess I just want Warhammer Dark Omen again.

But anyway. Looking forward to trying this given it's on Game Pass.

There’s an option to visit the settings menu before doing the first mission, thankfully, as it defaulted to a horrible resolution on my system.