IGNORED

Total War Warhammer III - 2022

Doctor Shark

3 minutes ago, PikaStu said:

There’s an option to visit the settings menu before doing the first mission, thankfully, as it defaulted to a horrible resolution on my system. 

Drat. I knew there probably was but I must have missed it. Mine also selected a shitty 1080p resolution and looked like ass.

14 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I had a similar question actually. I've yet to play any of these despite somehow owning both previous games with all the DLC. I figured it would be good to have everything in place for the combined mega-campaign in III, but is it worth playing some of the campaigns in the first two games to learn the ropes?

I'd say the Prologue and then one of the main campaigns in this should prepare you enough for Immortal Empires when it is released. There's no need even to install the other two.

48 minutes ago, Radish said:

Which one would you recommend starting with?

To be honest I'm not sure. I've heard there's no clear easy faction this time around. I'm sure you'll be fine but I'd stay clear of Undivided, Kislev & Slaanesh for now. Tzeentch might be ok? Or if you want a more straightforward human faction, then Cathay.

I've got "Kislev strikes again" (to the tune of The Smiths) going around in my head; hopefully I can pass this earworm on and be rid of it.

Spoiler

Kislev, Kislev I was only joking when I said
I'd like to smash every tooth in your head
Oh-oh, Kislev, Kislev, I was only joking when I said
By rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed

And now I know how Joan of Arc felt
Now I know how Joan of Arc felt
As the flames rose to her Roman nose
And her Warhammer started to melt

Kislev la-da-da-dada, Kislev la-da-da-da
Kislev strikes again
And I've got no right to take my place
With the human race

I’ve only tried 3 so far. 

The starting location for the undivided faction is ROUGH. Chaos is auto at war with non chaos, being so close to the south makes this a problem. 

It also heavily triggered my analysis paralysis so I’ve sacked that off for now. 

Khorne is quite straightforward. The growth penalty if you don’t keep fighting can make it a little tough to get rolling at the start. I love blood letters on juggernauts though. 

Nurgle has a lot going on on the campaign map. I haven’t messed with the plague stuff enough to not how necessary it is yet. Seems a little weak on the battle map. 

I've got a 3070 and a 5700X and it's well dodgy for me too; performance drops down to single digits on the resolution screen when it's cycling through all the factions. Battles seem fine though.

I've tried most of the factions briefly to get the hang of the different mechanics. Ogres with Skrag are good. You can get Leadbelchers pretty early (really strong unit for T3) and wipe out the Empire and Marienburg really early and nothing can attack you from behind due to start position. Demons of Chaos are pretty good too. Cathay have a strong start and good roster but may confuse newcomers with the harmony system.

The text issue is something they've flagged up as specific to the Xbox App specific version if you're logged into it with an account language the game doesn't support; seems like your Microsoft account forces the game to switch to the language associated with it, even if the game doesn't support that language, and so you end up with blank text. Sounds like they're working on it, but that's the source of the problem.

Is your Microsoft account/Gamepass subscription/VPN associated with a non-English language by any chance? 

Yeah, a good chunk of their infantry are hybrids; guns/bows paired with swords/axes/glaives, giving them flexibility but making them sometimes a little unclear as to their best use. Should your frost guard be freezing enemies from a distance, or wading in with their weapons? Should your streltsi be chopping enemies down with their greataxes, or standing back and letting rip with their guns? I quite like them but they're a bit trickier to nail down than a lot of other armies.

I’ve tried playing on my PC on gamepass and it mostly crashes every time I start a battle, so I’ve given up. It’s not like I’m running old drivers or anything. Only got as far as the second battle in the prologue. Annoying! 

I was going to give this a go but as a novice and having a very old pc I ought to sack it off. I'll watch some tutorials on how to play the first as that was free on Epic at some point. I'd use the in game tutorial videos, but they've took then down...

For anyone looking for an easy(ish) start, try Cathay - Western Provinces. The other Cathay faction will protect you from demons to the northwest and you have a skill in the tree which makes the Ogres love you so you're best buds with all the clans on your southern flank. Once you clear out the middle bit it's plain sailing. 

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I was going to give this a go but as a novice and having a very old pc I ought to sack it off. I'll watch some tutorials on how to play the first as that was free on Epic at some point. I'd use the in game tutorial videos, but they've took then down...

It's free on GamePass PC. 

Finished the campaign last night. I can see what they're going for in the final battle but fuck me, I've had more fun with trips to the dentist without anaesthesia :facepalm:

I utterly adore the TW:W franchise but I'm seriously considering shelving it now until Immortal Empires comes out. I'm not sure I can take doing that final battle with the rest of the factions and you can't sandbox as you get rifts out the jacksies every other turn. A really big misstep IMO. 

I think I've bitten off more than I can chew as Katarina on Hard. I've eked out a decent territory despite constant raids and sieges by angry Scandiwegians, but am massively trailing by about 5-1 in the Orthodoxy vote and had to run away with my ursine tail between my legs from my first attempt at a Chaos raid so am behind on souls as well. I'm guessing those two conditions are game enders so don't have the luxury of time to consolidate.

I've no idea how the CPU Konstantin is getting all these points with fewer settlements. Maybe I'll have to go and invade the sod.

For the Chaos attack I chose Khorne, managed to win one battle then noped out because the other armies were way too hard for my early game army.

I could possibly deal with one or the other, but having two simultaneous races against time is too much for me. Also it seems there is a bug where disbanding an army doesn't relinquish the supply lines penalty, and having just confederated with someone who it turns out was rather extravagant, this has left me in the financial dumps.

1 hour ago, Scruff said:

I'm seriously considering shelving it now until Immortal Empires comes out. I'm not sure I can take doing that final battle with the rest of the factions and you can't sandbox as you get rifts out the jacksies every other turn.

Yeah I think the same. I don't mind the rifts, but the ticking clocks are just too much!

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah that's how I was going to give it a go, but seeing as people are saying it runs like shit and it's a bit impenetrable I may as well not bother as I'm shit at RTSs and my pc is archaic.

You can move the camera and issue orders while paused, so it's not especially dependent on fast mousing skills and quick reaction times.

1 hour ago, Scruff said:

I'm seriously considering shelving it now until Immortal Empires comes out. I'm not sure I can take doing that final battle with the rest of the factions and you can't sandbox as you get rifts out the jacksies every other turn.

Yeah I think the same. I don't mind the rifts, but the ticking clocks are just too much!

I've just played with Khorne for the first time. It doesn't really make the mechanics clear at first and throws too much at you so I only did about 25 turns or so just to get the hang, then restarted. Wow, it's completely bent when you get the gist of what to do. You only have to colonise one settlement per region, sack and either reap the skulls after or send a Bloodhost on their way (I avoided doing this at the start as it mauls your economy but is well worth doing after you've researched a few technologies to buff them up). In the settlement you took build the tree that gives you a + percent chance to settle ruins in that province and after you get the Khorne corruption up a bit you get them settled for free. 

You can completely ruin everyone like this and as much fun as the Ogres are to play, running into a full stack of Slaneesh units headed by N'Kari and laugh as they melt to your Skullcrushers and Skarbrand (who is completely ridiculous after playing as Skrag who I'm sure a unit of Gnoblars could take down).

Still won't finish the campaign tho as eff that last battle. 

6 hours ago, Scruff said:

Finished the campaign last night.

That was fast!

2 hours ago, Scruff said:

I've just played with Khorne for the first time. It doesn't really make the mechanics clear at first and throws too much at you so I only did about 25 turns or so just to get the hang, then restarted.

Same here, but Im fighting for a place in gradfather Nurgles garden. The UI is quite messy, and not very intuitive. That said, this is the first Warhammer game Im playing. 

With everything turned up it looks pretty darn ugly. As an RTS I don't expect stunning animation because it has to scale to large fights but the scenery is so flat. And the models all seem very dull. 

I'll probably dip back in a little during the week. Having not played before (other than a few battles in the second game before I got confused by the campaign and gave up) I found the start of the prologue somewhat annoying. Even for me just too many scripted events that got in the way of allowing you to play with the controls.

Couldn't disagree more with that. I'm a bit cold on this and echo a lot of what's being said here but man I think it looks stunning. Some of the battlemaps in the Chaos Realms are incredible looking. 

Also when I heard that Ogres were coming to Total War I expected big monstrous charges not this:

I unlocked Big Bad Boris yesterday and every time you click on him he utters "follow the bear" which has given me flashbacks of shit, piss weak lager and these adverts.

THANKS BORIS! :hmm:

Jesus the city battles as Tzeentch with blue and pink horrors is beyond useless, the streets are so narrow your horrors will almost never fire at the enemy, looking like a melee rush is the way to go for attacking a city. 

4 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

Jesus the city battles as Tzeentch with blue and pink horrors is beyond useless, the streets are so narrow your horrors will almost never fire at the enemy, looking like a melee rush is the way to go for attacking a city. 

Yeah, I'm taking brutal losses when capturing towns, whereas in TWW2 I came through relatively unscathed. I prefer it in a way, but it's so stressful looking how my boys are massacred.

Yep, there are a lot of issues with the game (not least the bugs people are experiencing), but I like the way city battles play out; they should give a severe benefit to the defender, and be completely antithetical to unit types that aren't suited to close urban combat! 

I've found out that losing the Orthodoxy vote does not end your game, so I'm pressing on. Also, the way around the supply lines bug is to get your Lord killed instead of disbanding him, which is a bit of a waste of his levels but not game ending.

I'm very probably going to have to start again anyway (on medium difficulty this time!) but have got a morbid fascination with pressing on as my cities get besieged while my Katarina is barely scraping Pyrrhic victories in the Chaos portals against mere inhabitants, not even bosses.

32 minutes ago, Angles Morts said:

I've found out that losing the Orthodoxy vote does not end your game, so I'm pressing on. Also, the way around the supply lines bug is to get your Lord killed instead of disbanding him, which is a bit of a waste of his levels but not game ending.

I'm very probably going to have to start again anyway (on medium difficulty this time!) but have got a morbid fascination with pressing on as my cities get besieged while my Katarina is barely scraping Pyrrhic victories in the Chaos portals against mere inhabitants, not even bosses.

There is a very serious gulf in factions, especially in the Chaos Realms. I took Skarbrand in there and with his utterly ridiculous replenishment buffs, plus the move after winning a battle and I cleared the Khorne area in two turns I think? Poor old Greasus on the other hand, I had to switch to encamp stance in the corners just to make it through each turn (that's another problem is I was eating myself due to a meat shortage, but you don't really have enough time to build up reserves due to the race through the portals).