Jump to content

Total War Warhammer III - 2022


Captain Kelsten
 Share

Recommended Posts

Yep, I've returned to this for Immortal Empires, and having a huge amount of fun (despite having had to downgrade the graphics significantly since my 2080 Ti died: from staying above 60fps with all bells and whistles; to having to drop most effects, all AA and running at 90% res (of 3440x1440) to scrape 30 on my 1660 :( On the plus side, I'm getting flashbacks to running the original Shogun at flip-book framerates back in the day, so it feels a little nostslgic!). Really enjoying playing as Cathay without the limitations of the base campaign; allying with ogres for a bit more impact to go with my solid battle-lines is working out quite nicely (even if a caravan coming back with the plague was a less fun turn of events. Where's the "don't come back!" option!)
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Goddamn why is this so expensive everywhere? Even on CDKeys it's £44.99 :(

 

I want it, but I'm shite at these games so I don't like paying full price, I like buying it cheap and then get a load of DLC on top. I have 1 & 2 and love them but hardly play them because of how impenetrable I find them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a very slightly cheaper £38 on Fanatical, possibly a bit less with a voucher (they've usually got one going); £36 on Humble Store if you've been a Humble Monthly member for a year+, which is how I ended up buying it. Obviously that's a rather limited use case, though.

 

It's also "free" with Gamepass if you're only interested in the base campaigns, but you only get Immortal Empires if you own I & II through the Xbox store (not to mention any DLC-locked factions/leaders), and they are very much not free :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Wiper said:

It's a very slightly cheaper £38 on Fanatical, possibly a bit less with a voucher (they've usually got one going); £36 on Humble Store if you've been a Humble Monthly member for a year+, which is how I ended up buying it. Obviously that's a rather limited use case, though.

 

It's also "free" with Gamepass if you're only interested in the base campaigns, but you only get Immortal Empires if you own I & II through the Xbox store (not to mention any DLC-locked factions/leaders), and they are very much not free :(

 

I have 1 and 2 and ALL the dlc bought on steam...I'll get 3 on steam even though I have gamepass!

 

Thanks for the heads up on the slightly cheaper prices, I shall investigate! 


Edit: Even cheaper due to a further discount code on the site!

 

image.png.5823246b4c8d7be32cc3635f21ae4a1f.pngimage.png.4c11dce7d613f22aa50ff800b7d7daac.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'm just sorry I can't suggest anything cheaper! It'll definitely reduce in price with time, but I imagine it's going to stay high for a while yet - the release of Immortal Empires is likely something they're counting on as a driver of sales (it certainly saw me purchase the game, despite already having access to the Gamepass version), so aren't going to be deep discounting just yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really want to like this game, tried so many times to get into it, in my mind I am a gallant commander ordering my troops elegantly, swooping in my cavalry from the sides while my ranged units provide cover.

In reality my troops are all bundled into a big lump slowly dieng to ranged enemy attacks, while my archers stand up on a hill somewhere doing nothing, and my calvary run around like idiots and oh who is that right back at the start, it's my hero and I totally forgot about him. An yeah I know all about grouping and keybinds, just doesn't help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, the downside of the Warhammer series specifically (and the [im]mortal empires modes in particular) is also its great strength: the huge variation in factions. It makes "general" advice tricky, because they all play very differently, both tactically and strategically, and depending on your playstyle different forces will come naturally or be really challenging. For instance, I can't play Skaven to save my life: their scale, speed, the way they attack and flee in cycles, makes them an incredible hit and run force in the right hands... Or a complete catastrophe in mine.

 

Per Zael's advice, a sturdy, tarball faction would likely suit you better. I'm a big fan of the lizardmen, whose frontline is particularly sturdy and reliable, though they do have some care any attention needed to keep their skinks from being overrun. I'd also suggest my current faction, Cathay; they're a slow and sturdy defensive force who reward you for keeping your ranged and melee units close together. Long-ranged crossbows, rifles and flying artillery make them tricky to out-snipe, while their infantry are tough and can hold the line for a long time against most threats. Their main weakpoints are being relatively slow and lacking much in the way of shock troops — their cavalry are mediocre, they don't get monstrous infantry, and their flyers are primarily ranged — but that doesn't sound like it would suit your playstyle anyway!

 

(alternatively, if you want flexibility but less overwhelm, "elite" armies allow you to field a range of units in small numbers and still have an impact; High Elves for example have excellent units in most categories, but are so pricey your armies tend to be small: which means managing them is a lot easier, when you can have a mixed force of six units going toe-to-toe with 12-stacks from other armies. On the other hand, avoid the Bretonnians, as their monofocus on waves of elite cavalry that need micromanaging to flank and avoid getting bogged down, alongside swarms of fragile peasants who need micromanaging to avoid them all immediately running away, does not a relaxed time make)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, the Total War series's logic for how well a battle went is frequently intriguing. My personal favourite, from Total Warhammer II:

 

image.png.605f67d15cd41b7cce86879feea8625c.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How could you not mention Dwarfs @Wiper! The ultimate sturdy faction and an amazing one. Superb armoured, nigh on unbreakable infantry, excellent artillery, amazing ranged options (either Quarrellers for going over hte top of the infantry line or Thunderers  for the AP) and my personal favourite Irondrakes; for when all you want to do is watch the world burn.

 

I prefer factions that are cavalry light as I can never get the hang of cycle charging and hammer and anvil tactics. I much prefer to tarpit enemies and bomb/shoot the buggery out of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Scruff said:

How could you not mention Dwarfs @Wiper! The ultimate sturdy faction and an amazing one. Superb armoured, nigh on unbreakable infantry, excellent artillery, amazing ranged options (either Quarrellers for going over hte top of the infantry line or Thunderers  for the AP) and my personal favourite Irondrakes; for when all you want to do is watch the world burn.

 

I prefer factions that are cavalry light as I can never get the hang of cycle charging and hammer and anvil tactics. I much prefer to tarpit enemies and bomb/shoot the buggery out of them.


Plus, they’re dwarves. That’s like an automatic win right there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The dwarf front line is incredibly sturdy but they're not really a deathball blob faction. They have a lot of units that require separation from the blob like their ranged, artillery and special units like the flame belchers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've never played as them is why 😅 Can't stand dwarf factions in games generally (whether wargames or e.g. Blood Bowl) - there's slow, defensive armies, and then there's slow defensive armies; I do favour some manouevrability in my forces! That's why I like Cathay; they share the wide access to armour, crossbows and gunpowder (hell, their baseline crossbowmen are basically "what if Quarrellers, but faster-firing (as long as they're near a melee unit)"), but supported with magic and cavalry rather than yet-more infantry and artillery.

 

(also — and this is likely more down to my choice of armies matching up well against them in terms of good access to long-range, armour-piercing (frequently splash) damage attacks, rather than an actual 'flaw' in dwarf armies — I've generally found them the biggest pushovers in campaign battles, which didn't exactly encourage me to try them)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nah, I never try and micro Irondrakes. Turn off skirmish and let them burn everything before they can reach you and if they do manage to, then you've got heavy armour unlike the Skaven Warpfire Throwers. Sit them in a line with Iron Breakers and you're laughing. If something manages to beat you then you should go in the book.

 

I quite like Cathay but the harmony mechanic is terrible. Fine for armies but having to plan every building and tech in a PITA.

 

If you want magic, artillery and armour then lets all get onboard the Chaos Dwarf train; choo choo!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah, I love the Harmony mechanic! Up to and excluding the moment when you confederate a minor power and discover the reason they were doing so badly is that they were running a +9 Yang civilisation and now you too are enjoying the 'oh god why is everyone rebelling' life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

:lol:

 

You're giving me flashbacks to every confed and having to manually go through every settlement and army and scratching your head as to why they've set up like that :D

 

@Captain Kelsten I really like milkandcookiesTW. He does loads of match up videos and explains tactics and counters without going too far into the more laborious aspects of battles.

 

Plus he's quite funny.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/08/2022 at 17:43, Wiper said:

Yeah, the downside of the Warhammer series specifically (and the [im]mortal empires modes in particular) is also its great strength: the huge variation in factions. It makes "general" advice tricky, because they all play very differently, both tactically and strategically, and depending on your playstyle different forces will come naturally or be really challenging. For instance, I can't play Skaven to save my life: their scale, speed, the way they attack and flee in cycles, makes them an incredible hit and run force in the right hands... Or a complete catastrophe in mine.

 

Per Zael's advice, a sturdy, tarball faction would likely suit you better. I'm a big fan of the lizardmen, whose frontline is particularly sturdy and reliable, though they do have some care any attention needed to keep their skinks from being overrun. I'd also suggest my current faction, Cathay; they're a slow and sturdy defensive force who reward you for keeping your ranged and melee units close together. Long-ranged crossbows, rifles and flying artillery make them tricky to out-snipe, while their infantry are tough and can hold the line for a long time against most threats. Their main weakpoints are being relatively slow and lacking much in the way of shock troops — their cavalry are mediocre, they don't get monstrous infantry, and their flyers are primarily ranged — but that doesn't sound like it would suit your playstyle anyway!

 

(alternatively, if you want flexibility but less overwhelm, "elite" armies allow you to field a range of units in small numbers and still have an impact; High Elves for example have excellent units in most categories, but are so pricey your armies tend to be small: which means managing them is a lot easier, when you can have a mixed force of six units going toe-to-toe with 12-stacks from other armies. On the other hand, avoid the Bretonnians, as their monofocus on waves of elite cavalry that need micromanaging to flank and avoid getting bogged down, alongside swarms of fragile peasants who need micromanaging to avoid them all immediately running away, does not a relaxed time make)

 

Skaven are by far my favourite race specifically Clan Skryer, Ikit Claw and pure weapon teams with a bunch of priests to tar pit everything in my sights is so much fun. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/08/2022 at 02:53, Matt Defis said:

 

Skaven are by far my favourite race specifically Clan Skryer, Ikit Claw and pure weapon teams with a bunch of priests to tar pit everything in my sights is so much fun. 

 

The RoR poison wind globadiers that split into cluster bombs are by far and away the best RoR in the game. Absolutely filthy unit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been struggling away at this, dipping between doing the new tutorial and just trying random factions that take my fancy in Immortal Empires mode.

 

Today I did the tutorial mission to capture an altar of Khorne on normal/normal and...well...

 

Yuribattered.thumb.jpg.236c5dbe69d57ebab5c38ff3fa4e5d9d.jpg

 

Scruff told me it's because normal/normal might be bugged to actually be very hard...I dunno, but it did feel massively unfair :lol:

 

Asked in a discord for for advice, got told

 

Quote

Setting a deep checkerboard would work well with thst lineup. The armoured kossars have a small handgun too. Keep them on the wings and rear. Tzar Guard are as close to Dwarven holders as men get, keep them on the front corners. Unmounted hero's are typically support, non warrior types. Don't let them get swarmed!

 

I'm sure it's great advice but just left me feeling

 

krule-john-c-reilly.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For ranged heavy factions checkerboard is almost always the way to go,  the High Elves for example you'd want Lothern Seaguards with shields at the front then Sisters of Avelorn all behind with a lord and 2 heroes in support (if your lord is a melee fighter then 2 hero mages, usually life mage and Shadow/fire but if your lord is a mage then 1 melee hero and a mage. )

 

So your setup should be something like

 

1=lord

2=heroes

3=Seaguard

4= Sisters

 

                    1

 

3                  3                 3

        4                   4

4      2          4       2        4

        4                   4

4                  4                 4

 

Something like that,  your lord is there to slow down and tarpit the enemy frontline while your archers tear then apart, it's usually then a good idea to have anti large melee or cav on your flanks defending your archers.

 

Different factions play very differently but they usually fall into a certain category

 

Ranged tarpits (Skaven, Vampirates)

Ranged with frontline (Kislev, High Elves)

Ranged artillery (Empire, Dwarves)

 

Melee rush ( Khorne, Slaneesh)

Melee blob sustain ( Nurgle, VC, Vilitch)

 

Those are off the top of my head then you have to add magic in all that, it's a really versatile game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You forgot the suicide category Matt, which is Empire infantry to engage and tarpit the enemy, with Hellstorms on fire at will behind to rain rockets indiscriminately down on everyone to rack up those sweet numbers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Karl Franz is a lot harder than I remember it from Mortal Empires, although I played it before the Elector Count update.

 

Penalties for confederating the Elector Counts, and penalties for letting the useless buggers get smashed up by all the new factions! Quite an interesting balancing act.

 

Also I treated myself to both Empire DLCs while they were half price so lots of new stuff to play with. Recruiting Regiments of Renown instantly seems like cheating. Gotrek and Felix are pretty cool too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think part of my problem is that I've now got all three games and every single bit of DLC, so I'm basically spoilt for choice. I've bought each game on release (Well...I got 3 last week so not quite release) and then hardly played, grabbed DLC in sales, dipped back in for a bit, been overwhelmed, stopped playing, rinse repeat :lol:

 

Now I'm 3 games deep with...I'm not even sure how many lords and races I've got...and still no clue what I'm doing but man, I do love it. Or want to, anyway!

 

image.png.cec5013edd78b6b89d312ad9cf9574e0.png

 

14.4 hours played in a week, but honestly I think it's about 2 hours played and 12.4 hours tabbed out watching/reading guides :lol:

 

I also think Scruff is basically just like Lawnmower Man now, he's become part of the machine he's been hooked in so long. If he stops playing he might actually die.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.