Clive Sinclair has died

theredstar

I still remember getting my ZX Spectrum 48k Christmas 82 or 83, it came with Survival, Make a Chip, and Horace goes Skiing! Memories of colour clash, having to wait for a game to load (or not), and home taping when you borrowed a game from a mate at school. The Spectrum was best. 😉

8C6AD674-D31B-451F-8FE7-E83645253FA6.thumb.jpeg.d021b63f9371041c36f6c1e7b99c7714.jpeg

This really hits hard I think I've replied in the other threads in off topic of put it on Twitter a huge part of my formative years in gaming Atari may have been my very first console but the spectrum was when I really got into it as well it really took over I try to learn basic and played so many good games on that system and the tape Deck loading will always stick with me remind me of sir Clive gutted

I wasn't fond of mine, but I got one way too late. Christmas 1989. The Bond Action Pack

Got so sick of being roped it with The Hit Squad fancy covers and screens, overall.

That R-Type port did keep me entertained though, and was one of the best games I'd had at home up to that point. 

As with @bradigor the Atari VCS was my first console but the launch of the Spectrum was when games exploded into the mainstream and into my life. Bought a 48k in WHSmith for then £175 (today's money £630). Queued for at least 4 hrs to get into one of the first ZX Microfairs at Ally Pally. Bought dozens of arcade game clones only to be inevitably disappointed but some of the early games were amazing. 3DAnt Attack, Bugaboo, TransAm and Cookie and then the rest of the Ultimate stuff. Ridiculous peripherals like Currah Microspeech and clip on plastic joysticks that worked as manual inputs on the cursor keys. Text adventures, magazine listing. And yes, home taping, loading, waiting and that ropey little speaker, brought to beautiful life for the first time with Manic Miner. And the homebrew classified ad 'Manic Designer'.

I really could go on for ages. I'm sure Sir Clive was expecting me to get into 3D wireframe modelling (Vu 3D) or BASIC programming but what a start to a lifelong journey of gaming. Thank you, Sir. 

52 minutes ago, BossSaru said:

It's sad that the headline image the Guardian choose to use was Sinclair in a C5. One could argue that he had been proven right in the decades since, but why not this instead of his most famous flop?

pose.jpg

To be fair it’s incredibly hard to get a landscape picture of him with the Spectrum that works.

RIP Sir Clive. You made my childhood a delight and brought games to everyone. 

I know we had Pong variants and Atari, but the Spectrum was important and it let me play a cracking version of Bomb Jack in my bedroom. 

The day after I moved to Cambridge, I saw someone riding a C5 down King's Parade. (I swear to God, an actual working C5, just pottering off somewhere.) I took this as a powerful positive omen.

I've never owned a Spectrum as it was on the way out by the time I was growing up, but it was such an incredibly positive idea and a really powerful and unique artefact of the time and place it was made. 

On hearing this news my abiding memory of the Spectrum days was playing Gauntlet 2 player. My brother and I each screaming "Death, Death" sat next to each other one on each side of the keyboard. My Dad shouting up the stairs "You two, pack it in !"

Thank you Sir Clive for all the good times. 

Edit: in his honour I'd suggest everyone changes their avatar to this pic for the rest of the week

Sir clive.jpg