Y: The Last Man tv show.

Vespa Alex

1 hour ago, Vespa Alex said:

First three episodes of this are available. All the men on the planet die, apart from one chap and his pet monkey. 
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8042500/

I’ve not read any of the comics, so don’t know if it’s a faithful adaptation but it’s pretty good so far. 

All of the Y chromosomed creatures! Comic was great. They shouldn't have to change much.

Been a long time since I read it but I wonder if they will change some of the main story beats because some of them might not sell so well in today's world.

For example, in a world where almost every man is wiped out...

Spoiler

...the story revolves around the exploits of a single man.

...the next most important character is a male monkey.

...women on the whole turn out to be pretty shit and fuck up the world worse than the men did before they were wiped out.

@Vespa Alex Thank you for the recommendation, Vespa! It's going down really well :D

My only complaint so far is that the woman playing the president is acting like she's in a soap opera or like they've told her the cameraman will be 50 yards away.

Everything is a little too big. She's face acting at an 8 and she needs to be on a 3 or a 4. Less is more, keep it subtle, draw people in.

Hopefully I'll get over that, or she'll calm down, I think by the third episode I'm getting more used to it.

Gah, so I have to watch this weekly like in the olden days?

Episode 4 is out there.

This is a handy site to see when the next episode is going to air, if you're as forgetful as me

I wouldn't call the upcoming episode titles spoilers, I don't think, but some might, so I'm mentioning that, just in case - http://epguides.com/YTheLastMan/

I'll paste in the dates here for those who don't want to see the titles.

1-4 ----- 20 Sep 21

1-5 ----- 27 Sep 21

1-6 ----- 04 Oct 21

1-7 ----- 11 Oct 21

Haha, yes, I would also have accepted "airs on mondays", but honestly, I'd forget that I'm watching this show if I didn't add that epguides page into the folder of bookmarks that I open every morning.

Sometimes it's less straight forward as well, I've seen series that shifted around the schedules and then there'll be a break for a month or something before the next episode gets shown.

Yes, looks like they've kept it simple this time. If there's a second series, it'll all be on that page as well, so it's just good for me to keep that handy.

Seems pretty solid and has a lot of potential. I know Yorick being a whinging man-child is kind of the point, as in he’s the last last-man anyone would actually choose, but near every time he opens his mouth I want to twat him. 

2 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

Seems pretty solid and has a lot of potential. I know Yorick being a whinging man-child is kind of the point, as in he’s the last last-man anyone would actually choose, but near every time he opens his mouth I want to twat him. 

I always felt the title was so clever in that its:

Y - as in the chromosome

Why is he the last man?

Y for Yorick

and

Why is this idiot the last man alive?

It's not bad is it? I actually like Y.

One thing though, the little girl falling over.

Spoiler

She tears a massive wound in her leg but is impervious to pain :huh:

It's very on the nose but then, a lot of the pro-life Stepford Wives in America are like that. 

Enjoyed the first couple of episodes. It’s a nice setup and interested to see where it goes (never heard of or read the comics). Anything post or semi post apocalyptic appeals to me.

But after episode four I think it’s a shame they’ve sort of moved away from the bigger story. Maybe it’s just me but I think the infrastructure, organisation and politics stuff in this world might be more interesting than the travel adventure that basically feels like That Walking Dead minus zombies (which isn’t a bad thing to remove given they became the worst part of that show).

Not sure how many episodes I can deal with if it’s basically just a retread of all the same old random groups we run into who throw new shit in the way. Maybe, maybe, it works if they can create a reason why that’s more interesting different in a world without men but as it stands it’s just a bit tired.

This is not bad. I love how utterly useless, self-absorbed and entitled Yorick is. Like a big annoying man-baby who needs to be told to do everything, then goes off on a whim and does what he wants anyway. I don’t think I’ve seen a more annoying character in a TV show, maybe ever, and not at all what I expected. 

Yorick is a manchild in the books but he's more engaging in a way that works in a comic but wouldn't on tv. I definitely think that the title also reflect a "Why is THIS the last man alive?" The books focus on the travelling aspects too.

3 episodes in and its OK. The secret agent woman is my favourite so far. 

How many episodes are there in total for the season?

On 07/10/2021 at 23:00, deerokus said:

It's definitely decent but I'm struggling with the pacing. It's like someone came into the editing room every so often and made them stretch something out for no reason.

Yeah, it’s starting to bore me a bit now. I have no problem with slow-burners, but few of the things dwelled on here are that important or interesting. I feel like there’s a more intriguing story going on in this disordered world but I’m not getting to see it. 

28 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Obviously, without men around to explain things to women, the entire World turns to shit within hours :facepalm:

I like the science woman, she was great. 

Probably more like half the population dying almost overnight sends the world into chaos, regardless of who did/didn't die.

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Probably more like half the population dying almost overnight sends the world into chaos, regardless of who did/didn't die.

And I felt the overrepresentation of men in many jobs and careers like science and engineering meant that loads of serious roles were unfilled as a result.

7 hours ago, deerokus said:

Unsurprising.

There was potential for a decent show but it ended being quite boring.

Yeah, I'm not sure how they took such good raw story and made it quite boring.