IGNORED

Squid Game

PK

Anyone watching this Korean programme on Netflix? 4 episodes in and it's very good so far.

400 people with severe debts accept an invitation to play games for money, and it all goes a bit Battle Royale

Spoiler

edit - I've just realised that the trailer reveals most of the 'games', so I've spoilered it. You're better going in cold!

It's great, I've accidentally watched all of it already :facepalm:

Loved everything about it, even though (last 2 episodes spoilers)

Spoiler

the western actors they had playing the VIPs were terrible!

On 19/09/2021 at 14:09, Wickedkitten said:

Im just watching the ggambu ep now and DAMN

28 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Jesus Christ Episode 6......

It's fucking GREAT isn't it?!

@TwinbeeIt's reasonably violent.

General spoilers about violent content etc:

Spoiler

There are a lot of executions by gunshot, some stabbings, one off-screen suicide by hanging, a couple of cut throats and at least twenty people die by falling from a great height.

The violence is quite over the top and melodramatic rather than brutally realistic, but it does frequently get used for shock effect.

I'm not a parent so I'm afraid I can't really give you a definite recommendation on whether it's suitable for a 13 year old.

I don't remember any sexual violence in it, although there is one consensual sex scene.

Thanks @PK - he’s a reasonably mature kid for his age. We’ve watched things like Blair Witch, Shaun of the Dead, Attack the Block, etc together. He watches a lot of anime, and the likes of Attack on Titan, which is pretty gross at times. 

I might preview an episode or two and make a final decision. Cheers. 

42 minutes ago, Twinbee said:

Thanks @PK - he’s a reasonably mature kid for his age. We’ve watched things like Blair Witch, Shaun of the Dead, Attack the Block, etc together. He watches a lot of anime, and the likes of Attack on Titan, which is pretty gross at times. 

I might preview an episode or two and make a final decision. Cheers. 

The end of the first episode is a pretty good indication to the overall levels of violence in the show, so at least watch the first ep. 

Oh, and I finished this! Found it very compelling, and although it was quite talky, I never quite got to the stage of shouting “get on with it!” At the tv. 

Spoilers for end of show: 

Spoiler

Was quite surprised how similar the end of the show (and actually the way some of the games were presented) was to the movie Escape Room that came out a few years back - even the ending was incredibly similar! 

The story with the cop just sort of fizzled out a bit, and although I got that his brother was a former contestant, I didn’t quite understand how he went on to become the front man. I don’t doubt the cop will somehow be back for series 2, but it seems weird that nothing had happened with the case in the entire year since.

Also, was the similarity between the box of the gun cigarette lighter and the coffins meant to imply that they were already nudging him towards the game even before he knew it existed? The contract he signed for the loan sharks implies that too, and I’m even wondering if they somehow fixed the horse race too. 

Of course they may have answered some of these during the show and I missed it! 

Overall really enjoyed it though, and would deffo watch a second series. 

13 hours ago, NexivRed said:

I fucking love Korean film. There’s just something about it, and this doesn’t disappoint. Brilliant fun. Only one episode in so far. 

Have you check out Sweet Home? That was really cool.

Pretty compelling this! Despite being a slow burn on occasion it really worked and had me on the edge of my seat in several places. 

I think a second season could work but it would be a different beast entirely. 

Really enjoyed this, though agree with @jon_cybernet's criticisms, especially with the police officer story line. But I was definitely having too much fun to care by then.

The characters were all distinct and relatable and I loved the visuals and music, which at times reminded me of Utopia.

2 hours ago, jon_cybernet said:

I’ve seen both and this is way better by the end. 

I’ve seen people on Twitter saying Alice in Borderland is better than this, which means it must be incredible because this is amazing.

And so was the first episode, quality has been top notch throughout, with the VIP ep being the weakest imho simply because they all seemed to be terrible actors.

50 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I’ve seen people on Twitter saying Alice in Borderland is better than this, which means it must be incredible because this is amazing.

And so was the first episode, quality has been top notch throughout, with the VIP ep being the weakest imho simply because they all seemed to be terrible actors.

All I can say is Alice took me a few weeks to get through, but I ploughed through this in two sittings. I feel that the social commentary and larger questions this show poses are far more interesting than Alice, which I enjoyed but didn’t immediately want to discuss it with fellow viewers.