IGNORED

Squid Game

PK

On 02/10/2021 at 20:10, Retroid said:

Anyway if you like this I strongly suggest watching Kaiji - incredibly similar premise (to the point where I wouldn't have been surprised if this was an adaption) and it's absolutely fantastic! There's even a quirky little spin-off series showing the struggles of the people who run the games trying to appease their bloodthirsty boss.

Just watched the first couple of eps, and my initial opinions were also "This is just Kaiji". 

Just finished. Great fun. It varied in quality a fair bit, to the point at about four episodes in I felt like I was watching a reskinned Prison Break (not a compliment). But was a real thriller in parts (pretty much the same parts everyone else said).

I don't think they handled...

Spoiler

all of the twists and turns very well. Some I saw coming a mile off but they could have built up 001 more, for example.

But not much chat about the actual games here? They were pure tension. Loved them.

And afterwards, Netflix recommended Alice in Borderlands, and it seemed like the exact same show as people have said. Might check it out I guess.

And re. the

Spoiler

VIP voice actors, yeah they were terrible, to the point I assumed they had deliberately chosen it to be slow and pronounced for the Korean market. That's my generous choice at least. Anyway roll on season 2!

Red Light was the best game.. my list

Spoiler

1) Red Light

2) Glass Walkthrough

3) Tug of War

4) Cookie Shapes

5) Marbles

6) Squid game (to be honest for me swap this could be swapped with marbles)

Obviously as the games whittle down they got less interesting near the end.

I might give Alice in borderlands a go as well. I definitely wouldn't mind watching Squid game again at some point though.

18 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Does this get better? After two episodes I thought the game was good but most of the rest was realllllly dull and drawn out.

Episode 2 is a bit of a weirdly sudden change in pace. It gets back to the games etc from episode 3 onwards. If you're not interested after episode 3 probably safe to give it a miss.

I'm loving this, but 

Episode 6/7 Spoilers

Spoiler

I had to take a pause last night after Episode 6 and now I'm halfway through Episode 7 after the third guy just tried to complete the bridge like Mario and I'm finding it too stressful so I'm taking a mid episode break!!

Oh one thing about the glass bridge - 

Spoiler

I thought it a bit odd that the "organisation" plays so strictly by the rules however they have no qualm in blowing this glass bridge up that could kill the contestants with the shattered glass (and well, pretty much does). Just thought this was a bit out of order.

2 hours ago, PK said:

Episode 2 is a bit of a weirdly sudden change in pace. It gets back to the games etc from episode 3 onwards. If you're not interested after episode 3 probably safe to give it a miss.

Episode 2 was probably the best episode in my opinion. I loved that shift back.

I mostly liked it but…

Spoiler

It really doesn’t stand up to any level of critical thinking. What if the old man died in the riot? What if everyone dropped on the glass bridge? What if the last three fatally stabbed each other with those steak knives before the final squid game, doing them out of a finale? It was interesting and well shot - great audio production in the original Korean, watch it with subtitles and a good sound system and you’ll hear what I mean - but I found that last ep all too annoying with twist on twist, many of which didn’t land well in terms of making a lick of sense. 

2 hours ago, PK said:

The thing that annoyed me about that bit was

Hide contents

The big iron beam running down the middle of the bridge that they all could have walked across

I actually thought thats what they would end up using. BUT that would be breaking the rules...

Yeah. I’m surprised no one gave it a go, but would have expected them to be taken out by a sniper for doing so.

i was also expecting a twist in the 

Spoiler

Marbles game, where at least one team would come up with a loophole something like “The game is we each drop a marble at the same time. If your marble hits the ground, you win all of your opponents marbles. That means we both win”.

2 minutes ago, MrPogo said:

Yeah. I’m surprised no one gave it a go, but wild have expected them to be taken out by a sniper for doing so.

Spoiler

I also found it odd they turned the lights out when that guy figured out how to tell the different between the glass. I don't see why they did that -it's not like anyone got penalised for licking the honeycomb to make that game easier.

41 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Hide contents

I also found it odd they turned the lights out when that guy figured out how to tell the different between the glass. I don't see why they did that -it's not like anyone got penalised for licking the honeycomb to make that game easier.

Spoiler

I assumed they were trying to whittle dow the contestants to a final 2 for the last game. So they didn't need or want 4 to survive the glass bridge, and why they left them with the steak knives, they wanted one more to die before the final game.

22 minutes ago, PK said:

I also didn't understand

Hide contents

why they got people who had apparently never acted before to play the VIPs

Spoiler

That's unfortunately a classic of nearly all Korean dramas. There seem to be very few international actors living in Korea, and most of the time they seem content to stick any random person in front of the camera to deliver the few lines they need a foreigner for.

This was fun. Not always good, but fun. 

Spoiler

Some inventive production design, some shocking acting (from the entire cast, not just the VIPs). Some ideas better than others, most episodes way too long. I thought the secret about 001 was pretty telegraphed, but this isn't an unfamiliar story premise. He was the one who found our hero. The one who stopped the brawl. The one who got 'killed' off screen when everyone else's brain gore was writ large.

There's also a kind of gurning melodramatic wailing that I've seen in a few Korean productions, masquerading as acting. But I also don't speak Korean, so maybe it's all dramatically on-point, and just looks bad to a cultural ignoramus like me.

Also, has anyone brought up why they didn't just walk on the bits of glass supported by the central beams during smashy bridge?

Some have mentioned wanting a more satisfying ending, but that's not really the mould we get these shows made in anymore. It's about queuing up future series. As much as I enjoyed this (I clocked it in three days), I think I'm out for any future ones. It started going downhill in the last few episodes, and I'd expect them to keep that momentum.

Definitely a show of moments. Not sure how I felt overall.  

Spoiler

Some of the heel turns were straight out of WWE. The final episode(s) screamed reshoots too, did they film it later when the show got picked up by Netflix who predicted a hit but demanded a second season?