IGNORED

Squid Game

PK

14 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

I've been watching a lot of Korean stuff on Netflix and 'Goodness' comes up a lot in the subtitles.  Maybe there's a particular saying that's common in Korean that just doesn't translate to anything else?  Also, Korean tv seems very conservative in terms of language and sex, etc., so maybe there's a kind of upper ceiling to the level of sweariness in language that's part of their TV culture, but is much lower than the bar in the west, and translating something more gentle to a 'fuck' or 'shit' that we'd naturally expect wouldn't be faithful to the source?

Also, I think the 'Old sir' stuff comes down to the fact that Korean language and society has a lot of ranking of people by age and seniority and that, and that is reflected in how you speak to them.  Hard to convert that to English where we don't really do that kind of thing, without losing the meaning.  We are still watching Korean people talking to other Korean people in Korean culture, so it would be wrong to wipe away all the age / rank / seniority stuff from the language, even if it's not how English speakers typically talk to each other.

I don't disagree with any of that, just observing that what they've come up still feels quite stilted. The lack of swearing definitely feels part of that, the language is all very sanitised in a way that doesn't suit the source material.

I'm thinking particularly here of the Yakuza series of games, which I've been playing a lot lately - of course it's Japanese rather than Korean but I'm sure a lot of the same translation challenges apply. Yet somehow they've managed to come up with something that always feels natural yet also authentic, and still keeps in a lot of the honorifics that give the language its flavour. And they do that over hundreds and hundreds of hours, not just a limited Netflix series.

I'm sure this stuff is exceptionally difficult.

17 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

When you're translating stuff, surely you think about language use in the target country? Translating 'accurately' seems a sure fire way to spoil it.

I'm trying to find shots of that overliteral 'more accurate' fan translation some weeb did of Attack on Titan that read like when Joey from Friends discovered the thesaurus in Microsoft Word.

I used to enjoy the anime fan subs which would provide a literal translation but then have a brief explanation for the cultural context of any phrases that sounded odd in English appear at the top of the screen.  Although I can't imagine I'd be able to parse it all as quickly now as my 15-year old brain used to.

5 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

This was fine.

Would have probably made a better movie, without all the bullshit with the cop and the idiot tiger mans.

Yeah that was the only negative I have as well. Still can't believe how big this series has become though.

I can see why people would have been with the translation. I’ve just finished watching it and it is very Asian in its approach. 

If you haven’t seen a lot of Asian stuff then it would be jarring. 

I also like how it has a very Korean identity. The north and south thing runs deep. I’ve found the brother Vs brother theme comes up a lot in Korean stuff so I wasn’t surprised by some of the themes at the end. Not sure if that’s a spoiler though. 

Started this for a second time now with my girlfriend,  well possibly soon to be ex girlfriend as have discovered she won't watch with sub titles so we're watching dubbed version. Definitely not as good. Not as bad as those old dubbed Chinese films from the past but definitely reminds me of them.

Spoiler

Re the game with the glass panes - how come they didn’t just walk on the middle two metal girders?  Were they told they couldn’t do that in the rules, did I miss that?  I appreciate the non tempered glass might have broken underfoot anyway, but this approach would have given them a better shot?

38 minutes ago, Triple A said:
  Hide contents

Re the game with the glass panes - how come they didn’t just walk on the middle two metal girders?  Were they told they couldn’t do that in the rules, did I miss that?  I appreciate the non tempered glass might have broken underfoot anyway, but this approach would have given them a better shot?

A lot of people keep saying this. It wasn't mentioned in the rules, no, but come on, the characters in the show and us as viewers surely know that that isn’t going to cut it.

The people running the game don’t think twice about killing the contestants so it’s not much of a stretch to assume that doing what you say would result in a sniper shot to the head.

I'm wondering what all the fuss is with this - we watched as it was on Gogglebox last week and they showed about 2m of clips which completely summed up the whole of the first hour long episode, we watched the second ep last night and jeez it was boring, another hour utterly wasted with terrible acting and dialogue. 

It looks nice I guess but not sure we'll be watching ep3, can't fathom the buzz around it.

13 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I'm wondering what all the fuss is with the this - we watched as it was on Gogglebox last week and they showed about 2m of clips which completely summed up the whole of the first hour long episode, we watched the second ep last night and jeez it was boring, another hour utterly wasted with terrible acting and dialogue. 

It looks nice I guess but not sure we'll be watching ep3, can't fathom the buzz around it.

Yeah, this was my main issue. It's such a simple story which could easily have fit into two hours but they drag it out into nine. If they want a nine hour show they need to come up with nine hours of material. It's like Married at First Sight Australia which I've definitely never watched.

I think it ran mostly well. Probably two episodes longer than it needed but unlike US drama, it's one series. Something that is great about Asian drama. 

I thought it was great. Episode 6 in particular was a very difficult watch. I love how character driven that episode in particular was and it makes you question so many things. 

It’s very nicely written and has great characters. That’s all you need to know.

As to why it’s so popular, I think the name actually has a lot to do with it, it’s an enticingly opaque name. The rest is buzz from people who have watched it and correctly think it’s good.

I'm delighted by its success. I love how Netflix had gone big on Korean content in recent years, and hopefully this leads to them showing even more. Preferably another season of Bad Guys, Vile City.

4 hours ago, Gotters said:

I'm wondering what all the fuss is with the this - we watched as it was on Gogglebox last week and they showed about 2m of clips which completely summed up the whole of the first hour long episode, we watched the second ep last night and jeez it was boring, another hour utterly wasted with terrible acting and dialogue. 

I watched up to and including episode 3 and never continued. I don’t think it’s anything special and moved on to other things. The concept is good but the execution (no pun intended) was oddly quite tedious all too often. 

I'm about 4 episodes in, its good this. It's standard South Korean fare though, the direction, the story and the random smatterings of the old ultraviolence and gore they go for.

How the fuck this ended up getting rated as a 15 by the BBFC is hilarious though given their 90's track record

I'm tickled by the thought that the Korean acting in this might actually be as bad as the English acting (episode 7 - fucking hell the English bits feature the most sub-school play acting I've ever seen in a professionally made TV show, including Hollyoaks), and we don't realise because we don't speak Korean and so have no frame of reference! We'd never know! 😆

On 16/10/2021 at 22:18, probotector said:

I think it’s because you’re maybe not used to the Asian style of story telling.

Theyre not in a rush to tell the story. Chill and enjoy the ride.

Although they wrap it up normally in one season, not across generations of viewers. 

3 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Interesting interview in The Guardian with the VIPs, partly explaining why their acting seems so bad.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/oct/19/they-didnt-just-pick-us-up-off-the-street-meet-the-globally-derided-squid-game-vips

That was a good read.

I didn’t really have a problem with the VIPs. The entire show was OTT. We let the Korean actors slide but not the western ones?

You had a female Nicolas Cage eating up every scene and loved her for it.