IGNORED

Squid Game

PK

I watched this show purely off the back of it being a monster hit and wanting to partake in discussion about it - and binged it in two sessions (liking it a lot, easily overlooking it's flaws and concession to being a set up for season 2).

What struck me the most was Ali's arc and the immediate events after the games had concluded. 

I spend a lot of time looking after my parents these days - particularly my mum - and I've been finding that representations of tiny Asian grandmothers in the media I consume can affect me pretty profoundly even if all's well with them. Needless to say I was left feeling a bit fucked up, which is a a massive complement.

18 hours ago, Sane said:

Korean cinema is amazing, there's so many good movies. Aside from the above mentioned Vengeance trilogy (which is great) here's some of my favorites:

All of these are much, much better than Squid Game btw. 

Thanks for those recommends, I've only seen a couple of them. I would add 'I saw the Devil' to that list. I re-watched it recently and it was far more impactful than I recall from my first watch many years ago. Cracking little film.

2 minutes ago, Skeeez said:

Thanks for those recommends, I've only seen a couple of them. I would add 'I saw the Devil' to that list. I re-watched it recently and it was far more impactful than I recall from my first watch many years ago. Cracking little film.

Was also going to suggest that :) 

I went through a phase a while back of watching Korean movies so you can also add

The Host

Joint Security Area

Taegukgi Hwinalrimyeo (Brotherhood)

These 2 are Anthology movies with 3 short films each, at least one director in each is Korean. The names are confusing due to the US release dates and one of the films from Sam Gang 2 was also remade/re-edited as Dumplings

Sam Gang (Three Extremes II)

Sam Gang 2 (Three... Extremes)

On 24/10/2021 at 22:29, Pistol said:

Hide contents

The Front Man was the cop’s brother, and the winner in 2015. Presumably he got sucked back in to the games, on the other side. He’s now so involved in it he’d shoot his own brother :(

Given that a year had passed and the game is still running, I’m guessing the cop’s message didn’t get through and he didn’t survive. Unless they’re going to pull something like he survived somehow and has been in some sort of deep cover investigation since. Highly unlikely.

Spoiler

Cop will definitely be back, they intentionally did that mirror image scene with his brother and him after they shot each other to make it clear cop was also non-fatally shot in the shoulder too. Movie rules apply that he can survive such a fall after. He's either still investigating or is being held captive by Front Man. S2 will be he and Gi-Hun joining forces to stop the games 

5 hours ago, Hawklord said:

Was also going to suggest that :) 

I went through a phase a while back of watching Korean movies so you can also add

The Host

Joint Security Area

Taegukgi Hwinalrimyeo (Brotherhood)

These 2 are Anthology movies with 3 short films each, at least one director in each is Korean. The names are confusing due to the US release dates and one of the films from Sam Gang 2 was also remade/re-edited as Dumplings

Sam Gang (Three Extremes II)

Sam Gang 2 (Three... Extremes)

While we’re at it, I’d also recommend:

The Chaser - Absolutely brutal thriller about a seedy pimp trying to track down one of his missing girls.

The Good, The Bad and the Weird - bonkers western set in turn of the century Korea. 

My Sassy Girl - Romcom about a guy who falls for a girl who puts him through a relentless series of tests to prove his love. 

I was browsing the net this morning and came across a few good interviews on the Guardian about Squid Game:

Interview with the creator:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/oct/26/squid-games-creator-rich-netflix-bonus-hwang-dong-hyuk

Interview with the VIPs!

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/oct/19/they-didnt-just-pick-us-up-off-the-street-meet-the-globally-derided-squid-game-vips

I enjoyed this, even if much of the plot had a tonne of loopholes / was quite silly.

Spoiler

I felt the contestants were cheated in the bridge walking task. The previous ones were based more on skill, whereas this one was entirely luck. I also hated the fact that the North Korean girl ended up dying because of the shard of glass exploding AFTER she'd won the task. Not very equal is it?

Also, I'm sure at the beginning of the games, it was made clear that there could be multiple winners - or am I misremembering? If there could only ever be one winner, then why would a husband / wife couple take part? Makes zero sense if you know 100% that one of you will die, and made even less sense when we saw that happened and then the husband killed himself as a result. That was always going to happen.

I also felt there were a number of sub-plots that began to evolve but then went nowhere / were pointless. E.G. the organ extraction indicated something very sinister, but went nowhere after the Doctor was killed. Same with Number 28 guard coughing 'morse code' - did anything ever come of that?

Was a little disappointed with the ending - the old guy being the 'bad guy' didn't really work in my opinion. We're led to believe that he was the brains behind the operation, but would the front man really be scared of him in that case? Scared enough to kill his own brother? Just seems a little contrived.

That said, I did enjoy it, but just felt the games should have been based on skill rather than pure luck.

1 hour ago, Janson said:

I enjoyed this, even if much of the plot had a tonne of loopholes / was quite silly.

Hide contents

I felt the contestants were cheated in the bridge walking task. The previous ones were based more on skill, whereas this one was entirely luck. I also hated the fact that the North Korean girl ended up dying because of the shard of glass exploding AFTER she'd won the task. Not very equal is it?

Also, I'm sure at the beginning of the games, it was made clear that there could be multiple winners - or am I misremembering? If there could only ever be one winner, then why would a husband / wife couple take part? Makes zero sense if you know 100% that one of you will die, and made even less sense when we saw that happened and then the husband killed himself as a result. That was always going to happen.

I also felt there were a number of sub-plots that began to evolve but then went nowhere / were pointless. E.G. the organ extraction indicated something very sinister, but went nowhere after the Doctor was killed. Same with Number 28 guard coughing 'morse code' - did anything ever come of that?

Was a little disappointed with the ending - the old guy being the 'bad guy' didn't really work in my opinion. We're led to believe that he was the brains behind the operation, but would the front man really be scared of him in that case? Scared enough to kill his own brother? Just seems a little contrived.

That said, I did enjoy it, but just felt the games should have been based on skill rather than pure luck.

Spoiler

Leaving the steak knives seemed to indicate that they only wanted two left alive for the final game, so while it was unfair she was very badly injured after winning the glass bridge game, they were always going to be trying to get one of them killed off before the final game.

The wording about winning was vague, I think it was, "Win 6 games and take home the cash." There was nothing about how many people could/would win. By the end it was clear there would only be one winner, but judged on the first two games alone, there could have been any number. Even when they realise they can kill each other to increase the pot and lower the number of winners it's still not clear that only one person will end up surviving.

The guard coughing morse code was part of the organ smuggling gang that were all killed off when their plan got blown up by the doctor running off.

I never really saw the front man as someone who was scared of the old guy. More a previous winner that had decided to go back and become part of running the games instead of playing them. His tiny apartment room and unpaid rent suggests that he'd blown his winning and was back as much due to his own debt.

I think the unfairness of the final game is also a strong social comment on the rich vs poor dynamic that the whole show is built on. You can try your best and have all the skill in the world, but when it comes down to it you're still reliant on the luck and the whims of the rich as to whether you actually succeed or not.

Spoiler

I don't think they especially made any claims about the games being entirely skill-based or anything, just that the contestants would be treated equally. They did mostly hold that up, I think, with the unfair aspects being introduced by the players themselves (making assumptions about what attributes would be required when forming teams) or by people cheating (for which they were harshly punished). Anyone could have been skewered by the glass explosion so it was still 'fair'.

At the same time, a debate on the regulatory inconsistencies of a game designed to kill all but one player, run by psychopaths purely for entertainment purposes, seems a bit moot really.

Spoiler

It's almost like the rich and poweful puprposely mislead the lower classes to make sure that they do what they're told and endsure their agenda is always served.

Exhibit A: Any promise the Tory Government make about how they'll improve things for 'common' people.

This would be good for a later stage with fewer players:

Giant Marble madness. 

Four teams, four giant balls that are so large they can crush a person, all contained in a waist-high maze so that the players can see how to get their balls to the exit. Each team has to manoeuvre its ball to the exit via the players standing at certain points to angle the floor with their weight. Teams could ally with others to strategically crush another team, or "accidentally" crush someone on their own team, or all work together to complete the stage, but all players would have to have managed to get to the exit within a set time limit. You all know what happens if a team fails...

You could also work this with two balls and two teams at a time. 

This would create an interesting dynamic for any overweight players who may have previously been frowned upon, suddenly their weight is a potential advantage, even a weapon...

Or like a marble maze game where one at a time you're sent out inside a glass ball and have to manoeuvre your way through the maze avoiding the holes in the maze that will send you plummeting to your death.

I could almost see Netflix making spin off series to this where the rich bastard elites attend 'Squid' style games in other countries and we get a season in Germany based around their childhood games, a season in the US, or any other country that might have interesting games you could spin into deathly competition.

I know there are lots of holes already in this, but this is really bugging me....

Spoiler

When he leaves the money with the old lady, the note says it's the money he owes her son - i.e. not her money to use. Given she still thinks her son is alive, unless she's happy stealing the money from him she's just going to sit on that suitcase until he comes back. She's basically clearly told, this is not your money hold it for your son (oh, and here's a small boy to look after as well).

1 minute ago, rgraves said:

I know there are lots of holes already in this, but this is really bugging me....

Reveal hidden contents

When he leaves the money with the old lady, the note says it's the money he owes her son - i.e. not her money to use. Given she still thinks her son is alive, unless she's happy stealing the money from him she's just going to sit on that suitcase until he comes back. She's basically clearly told, this is not your money hold it for your son (oh, and here's a small boy to look after as well).

It’s all holes, just enjoy the feels.