Kirby and the Forgotten Land - Kirby's own odyssey?

Keyboard Koala

2 hours ago, Big_H said:

I don't know that it is a small complaint. I'm playing through with my son, who naturally wants to be Kirby all the time. The other guy, though, is totally nobbled. He doesn't get to do much besides support, and if you even dare to wander off from Kirby too far, you just warp next back to him. 

We've just played through Sackboy together, which handled a mixed ability co-op game almost perfectly. 

Slightly disappointed. 

I'm heading this way now as well. For some of the trickier intricate sections where you need an ability to do it, we've had to swap across between characters or watch him get quite frustrated at not being able to do it. To be fair he is only 4 but all the same. 

I guess I got better at these things as I grew up and he is pretty young, but it's not as easy to hold his hand through it as say Mario 3D World or Bros U Deluxe etc

22 hours ago, Wonderm said:

I'm heading this way now as well. For some of the trickier intricate sections where you need an ability to do it, we've had to swap across between characters or watch him get quite frustrated at not being able to do it. To be fair he is only 4 but all the same. 

I guess I got better at these things as I grew up and he is pretty young, but it's not as easy to hold his hand through it as say Mario 3D World or Bros U Deluxe etc

Yeah, my boy is 4 (just) too. There's a real trick to making a game fun for both of us. Sackboy managed it - we just sat on this couch and laughed our asses off for pretty much the duration. Here, though, I find myself zoning out a little as he steers us past secret areas and objectives and the such. 

I played this for a bit in co-op with my partner and he didn't mind being the waddle-dee but I always felt like he was getting the lesser experience by far. Plus the fact that he routinely killed enemies so quickly with his spear attacks made things a bit annoying for me sometimes as there were often no enemies left to copy their abilities.

It's a cute game although I wish there was a run button. Because it's quite slow and low-stakes I find myself getting a bit bored after maybe 5 or so levels at once but it's a nice game to dip in and out of in between something more taxing.

This is a very pretty game, so colourful and joyous, certainly gives the Ambilight on my TV a workout.  It’s about as difficult as eating a marshmallow but who cares.  

I'm loving this. I like being able to just relax and breeze through it, but then when I feel like it I can go for the slightly more difficult tasks. This is my first Kirby game, what would be a good one to play after this? 

19 minutes ago, SteveH said:

This is my first Kirby game, what would be a good one to play after this? 

I’d recommend listening to one of the newest Back Page Pod episodes, where they talk about the best (and worst) Kirby games. Matthew appears to have lots of experience with them, and for someone like me who has never really clicked with the series, it was super interesting.

54 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I’d recommend listening to one of the newest Back Page Pod episodes, where they talk about the best (and worst) Kirby games. Matthew appears to have lots of experience with them, and for someone like me who has never really clicked with the series, it was super interesting.

Sounds great! I'll definitely give it a listen thanks :) 

This is great. I'm playing through the main levels with my son as Waddledee (he doesn't really do much except walk off ledges, bless him). We're up to the lava zone now. It's definitely not got the depth of Mario Odyssey, but it's charming and creative, and finding all the secrets is good fun. Reminds me a lot of Captain Toad.

Man, this game takes a turn in its final stages. That last boss fight is straight out of Bayonetta :lol:. Took me a few goes, too! I had to just spam the dragon fire attack in the end as my other attacks didn't do enough damage. A bit of a difficulty spike, especially compared with the start of the game - I imagine some younger players might struggle.

I've seen the credits now and am onto the extra stuff. I need more coins, though; I've got loads of the stars from doing the treasure challenges but not enough coins to buy all the upgrades.

3 minutes ago, Wonderm said:

This Z Cup is an arsehole, honestly. 

Great game 

Yup. Genuinely, the final boss is harder than solo-ing everything in Elden Ring. Mainly because my attacks do no damage and you have to fight 11 fucking other bosses on the way to it. I gave up in the end. Life's too short.

I'm going to go again tomorrow but with max'd out attack and speed boost, spare tomato, double health

I've done everything else, got to try. Plus the young lad is putting heavy pressure on me to complete the capsules! 

5 hours ago, Wonderm said:

I'm going to go again tomorrow but with max'd out attack and speed boost, spare tomato, double health

I've done everything else, got to try. Plus the young lad is putting heavy pressure on me to complete the capsules! 

:ph34r:

Spoiler

This is a video that needs to be seen.

Not only hidden rooms you’d never find but one level has a more difficult version of the same level directly above it that you’d never have known about. Amazing.

On 25/04/2022 at 16:32, Ketchup said:

This is a video that needs to be seen.

Not only hidden rooms you’d never find but one level has a more difficult version of the same level directly above it that you’d never have known about. Amazing.

Whoa.

(I found the second one!)

• 1 month later...

This game has muscled its way to the top of my pile - it’s absolutely delightful. The ‘thwack!’ sound effect when you hit an enemy is very satisfying, and with all the varied abilities, the moment to moment play is really fun. It sidesteps the overly simplistic nature of earlier games by having surprisingly complex levels that are fun to explore, find secrets in and unlock what amounts to mini-achievements (the little tasks that the game secretly sets, and rewards you for doing). It’s all very rewarding, and Kirby is just so cute. 

Edit - and the void-style challenges are another great distraction, too. 

I’ve got covid at the moment so I made pretty short work of this. Holy shit at that ending! It’s channeling a very different energy to the rest of the game, very Resident Evil. 

I don’t think it enamoured me enough to want to go back and get all the upgrades, complete all the challenges or get an under par time on the time trial events, but goodness knows it can’t be faulted for ambition or scale. 

• 1 month later...

Me and the little lad are only up to the snow level so far, as he doesn't get much screen time. Nobody comes close to the snow levels that Nintendo put out. We'll try to find as many Waddle Dees as possible, but any we miss I'll return to and sweep up myself in the evenings.

This is easily my GOTY up until now - it's so enjoyable.

My son is only 2 so obviously hasn’t had any gaming experience and won’t do for a good while yet I imagine.

However, he loves the first stage in this, with the beach. He sits on my knee and either controls Kirby with the stick and I jump/attack, or vice versa. He especially loves the car, and likes making it zoom forward, and is obsessed with the Kirby character in general. It really is a game that anybody can enjoy.

So how do people here feel about Kirby’s transition into his first 3D platformer? I know some may have been interesting in Forgotten Land being bigger than games like Super Mario 3D World, which may been a major influence for the game, but I think it was handled well. It’s pretty fun using all the powers in 3D while still living up to the Kirby name.