PC Gaming in the living room TV.

TomatoConvenienceStore

So I want to play my PC games/emulators on the TV. In my old gaff that was fine as they were in the same room - long HDMI cable and job done.

But anyway my desk is in another room now.

I thought about streaming. I have an Amazon Fire Stick and installed Geforce Now, but that has so few games I own on it yet I'm not using it. I tried to sideload Steamlink app, but crappy WiFi dongle used on the PC transmitting wirelessly to a Dongle on the Tele was choppy as hell.

(Also I really want to play my retro games, I had the Wii U homebrewed which is a great emulsion machine, but lent it out and now missing a wealth of my gaming collection - because screw sitting at a desk which I do enough of during the day!)

What do people suggest?

Without wanting to sound glib, get an Xbox Series S/X.

But seriously, I went to great lengths to connect my PC to my TV (in my study, though, not my living room), and I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually played a PC game through my telly. It's just not convenient and is about five button presses or mouse clicks too many, even with one of those Logitech keyboards with the touch pad built in.

If you're going to be playing games on the sofa then chances are you'll be using a controller, in which case you'll probably be playing games which are also available on console. I honestly can't think of a big PC exclusive from the last few years which you'd want to play using a controller which hasn't also come out on the Xbox, and all the more traditional PC genre games you wouldn't want to play on a TV anyway, but at a desk, right in front of a monitor, with a mouse and keyboard.

Get a Series console and mod it so you can play emu stuff (see the Fantastic Emulation Machine threads in the Retro forum), or, even better, get an unmodded Series X and one of those everything-and-the-kitchen-sink retro consoles with an SD card to go alongside it.

If you've got an Nvidia GPU then the first thing I'd try is using the Moonlight app on the Fire Stick and see if that performs any better than Steamlink. Won't cost anything. 

What sort of WiFi setup have you at the moment? 

2 hours ago, bear said:

If you've got an Nvidia GPU then the first thing I'd try is using the Moonlight app on the Fire Stick and see if that performs any better than Steamlink. Won't cost anything. 

What sort of WiFi setup have you at the moment? 

Well I used to have the PC connected via Ethernet, but since moving I've just been using some old WiFi usb dongle for the PC (the thing is like 15 years old lol) and everything is wireless through BT Smart Hub Router.

I hadn't heard of Moonlight, is have a look at that!

9 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Without wanting to sound glib, get an Xbox Series S/X.

But seriously, I went to great lengths to connect my PC to my TV (in my study, though, not my living room), and I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually played a PC game through my telly. It's just not convenient and is about five button presses or mouse clicks too many, even with one of those Logitech keyboards with the touch pad built in.

If you're going to be playing games on the sofa then chances are you'll be using a controller, in which case you'll probably be playing games which are also available on console. I honestly can't think of a big PC exclusive from the last few years which you'd want to play using a controller which hasn't also come out on the Xbox, and all the more traditional PC genre games you wouldn't want to play on a TV anyway, but at a desk, right in front of a monitor, with a mouse and keyboard.

Get a Series console and mod it so you can play emu stuff (see the Fantastic Emulation Machine threads in the Retro forum), or, even better, get an unmodded Series X and one of those everything-and-the-kitchen-sink retro consoles with an SD card to go alongside it.

I find it very comfortable tbh. The wireless Logitech keyboard is nice but if you want to go controller-only you can enable Steam Big Picture Mode on startup (Steam only of course, not for emulators).

I've always found older WiFi setups are pretty darn crummy to stream games beyond a couple of walls. The only time I've had success is from 5ghz signals in the same room - and it requires the actual device you're streaming to being able to accept a 5ghz WiFi signal, too.

I'd personally pick up a pair of powerline adapters - either a simple Ethernet-Ethernet pair to plumb into a wired streaming box (or the router if it's in the living room with the TV, as most modern routers have a 5ghz antenna these days), or a more expensive pair that has a 5ghz access point built into it.

Going along the Moonlight route (if you have an Nvidia card), the cheapest option would probably be a 600mbps wired powerline kit and a Raspberry Pi (well, RPi3 because 4 still expensive) on the end of that.

For example, my current set-up for Oculus Quest streaming (which is a bit more strenuous) is the following:

PC connected to a powerline via gigabit ethernet (Tenda AV1000)

Powerline connects to Sky router via gigabit ethernet

Sky router dumps out separate 5ghz WiFi channel (option on the router)

Oculus Quest connects to 5ghz WiFi channel on Sky router

Note that I don't use the Tenda powerline's WiFi - this is because it only supports 2.4ghz, so even xcloud streaming falls apart. Streaming is only as good as your weakest link in the chain, and even an old-ass patch cable used on a whim can fuck up the entire process. I can attest to that, because that was part of my troubleshooting process to get the quest going!

6 hours ago, yashiro said:

This is rllmuk son. A bold statement indeed.

Buddy I got it working, that's all you need to know :D

The trick is to add mstsc.exe (Windows native RDP client) into Geforce streaming as a custom app. Then run that, and you can launch games from any store client instead of being forced into steam big picture (although that does have some advantages).

I think originally "add mstsc.exe" was a bit of a red herring, you could add any .exe and it would stream the desktop. But now the devs have configured moonlight to watch specifically for this and consider it a request to stream the whole desktop. 

Your experience differs depending on which app you're using to access your PC, the Android app seems a bit happier with controllers whereas the Apple TV app works quite nicely with the remote itself as a cursor.

You should put something like chrome remote desktop on your PC so you can easily connect to it from a laptop/phone etc and sort things out if moonlight gets confused. It'll save you running up and down stairs a lot.  None of these solutions are perfect unfortunately.

Man remeber when valve made  the steam link for just this kinda thing! ... ahead of its time man.

There is the option of a Pi with steam link on it, but, get rid of the wifi, its just goign to cause problems for streaming.

of course, there is the obscenely high end route of "a single cable" and a dock...a very...VERY expensive single cable lol

13 hours ago, Jamie John said:

But there are literally thousands of games that aren't on Xbox that still use a controller - it's not all about big games (and even if it were, the OP' s PC might be much better spec than the Xbox or they might prefer the customisation options or mods or...)

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

But there are literally thousands of games that aren't on Xbox that still use a controller - it's not all about big games (and even if it were, the OP' s PC might be much better spec than the Xbox or they might prefer the customisation options or mods or...)

Yes, that's true, but convenience is king for me, I've realised.