Actraiser Renaissance

dumpster

Loved Actraiser, I think I bought it in a sale or secondhand, either way it was a great mash up of Sim City and Castlevania.

Which reminds me, Sim City on the SNES was incredible considering what it was running on. 

Edited by Ivanho

Oh wow, I was thinking about an Actraiser game recently.

I actually picked up a game called Smelter, which uses the mix of platforming action and god sim

Wasn’t completely sold by this game though (although to be fair I need to play it some more)

I’m all over this Actraiser though, having finished the original multiple times I’m interested to see how this remake stacks up.

They look to have expanded on both the areas hopefully it doesn’t lose the appeal of the original.

7 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

It's on PC so an X-Box version has to be coming.

Same with the card game they just announced. Square Enix are quite patchy with Xbox, you never know though: looking at DQXI and Builders, it seems like they might prefer to hold out for the gamepass money in a year or two.

No one playing this or have impressions?

I’ve only managed to get an hour but it’s left me wanting more.

The action sections have changed, they’re not an exact layout copy to the original. Also the character has a 3 hit combo, an upward slash, downward slash and backdash for dodging. The first boss, while the same character is a different fight.

For the over world, they’ve changed quite a bit. You have materials to collect from your villagers to build defences and have attacks from enemies. You also have characters in the world that you can command to attack enemy forces. Enemy attacks appear to be instigated with a mission select as opposed to randomly coming in.

Sealing a monsters lair gives a mini action stage.

This is about as far as I’ve got.

Only thing I’m not sure about at the minute is the camera movement on the action stages. I haven’t put my finger on it yet, I’m not sure if there’s too much movement or some kind of frame rate issue. It felt a bit jarring but it may be something that you get used to.

Game Sack’s review. 

Apparently the camera issue I mentioned is a known bug in Unity and can be easily fixed, it gets dissected in the video pretty well. Not sure how this slipped the net in development but hopefully it gets fixed.

Sounds like the game is getting a lot of hate but I think it’s getting blown out of proportion.

This "siege" shit can fuck off in the bin, it's crap, if I wanted to play a tower defence game, I'd have got one, the rest of the game is fine I guess, nothing special about it though, just want the siege sections over as quickly as possible, so I can crack on with the parts of the game I signed up for :(

1 hour ago, MikeBeaver said:

This "siege" shit can fuck off in the bin, it's crap, if I wanted to play a tower defence game, I'd have got one, the rest of the game is fine I guess, nothing special about it though, just want the siege sections over as quickly as possible, so I can crack on with the parts of the game I signed up for :(

Yes, I think unfortunately the devs of this game have completely missed the point of the original.

It was god sim lite, emphasis on the lite. You were never playing the original because you were into god sims.

I like the idea that they tried to expand on the original but it’s completely lopsided. I’ve played the action sections for like 5 mins and I’ve spent 2 hours+ in sim mode.

I just turned it off after eventually completing a siege (which took multiple attempts) only to watch a few cutscenes of story and be instantly put back into another siege!

I really want to persist but I’m finding it a tough sell.

8 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Yes, I think unfortunately the devs of this game have completely missed the point of the original.

It was god sim lite, emphasis on the lite. You were never playing the original because you were into god sims.

I like the idea that they tried to expand on the original but it’s completely lopsided. I’ve played the action sections for like 5 mins and I’ve spent 2 hours+ in sim mode.

I just turned it off after eventually completing a siege (which took multiple attempts) only to watch a few cutscenes of story and be instantly put back into another siege!

I really want to persist but I’m finding it a tough sell.

I'm up to the 5th world now, I refuse to give up on it, even though as I say, the siege parts are fucking terrible, you can have 3 attempts, fail rapidly, then smash it fourth time, fuck knows what is going on...

7 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

I'm up to the 5th world now, I refuse to give up on it, even though as I say, the siege parts are fucking terrible, you can have 3 attempts, fail rapidly, then smash it fourth time, fuck knows what is going on...

I haven’t played it enough to be sure but as I understand there is a sizeable random factor based on the materials that spawn during the siege.

You get the right items at the right time and it’s a massive aide. The last siege I completed, I only did it because I got 2 magic drops during the final phase so I was able to use a miracle to kill off one of the impending hoards. If I didn’t get that, I would have failed.

Same with health, you get a food drop just as your fort is taking damage and you can basically heal it straight back up. You don’t get that drop though, then your fort gets destroyed and you lose a major part of your defence.

Like I say, I don’t know the game well enough yet to know if these drops can be controlled but if they can’t and it’s literally down to RnG that’s a chunky fuck you when attempting sieges, at least it is on harder difficulties (I’m currently playing on hard).