IGNORED

Games that deserve a remake

Captain Kelsten

I think a really polished remake of Clandestine could be amazing. It's a slightly janky 2-player co-op game in which one of you plays a Splinter Cell 3rd person stealth game:

image.thumb.png.fe473786c9b66249e76eeefd84d2e3b6.png

And the other plays as the hacker in the van, giving their partner info about guard locations and hacking security systems to help them through the mission:

image.thumb.png.06965422676040b0d501306aefdeae39.png

There was a recent game called Operation Tango which is essentially the same thing, but that went for a more cartoony look & feel - which is fine, but I'd love a more realistic-looking, properly polished version.

10 hours ago, Darwock said:

This is a good shout, what does it look like running on that PS1 emulator that everyone has been excited about?

I don’t know if I’d have the patience for all those block puzzles these days though.

It looks fantastic on duckstation. I would love more Vagrant Story but I wonder if a remake would lose something with modern visuals.

Part of the charm for me is how perfectly it uses the texture / geometry limitations of the PS1.

Timesplitters. Take all three games, remake them as a single title, add online multiplayer, keep split-screen, profit.

So many imaginative levels, so many things to unlock, so many classic multiplayer levels, it's absolute madness that this series has been left to rot.

16 hours ago, yakumo said:

Syphon Filter

I'm going to make a million alts so I can make this the most popular post on Rllmuk. The first one was great but frankly the second one was mindblowing to my young self. That whole pursuit through the Rockies at the beginning was so like something from a 90s thriller movie, coming down off the mountain, creeping along the mountain road past the enemy troops, and then the whole bridge section and the train section was amazing. It might actually be one of my most nostalgia-inducing games ever, shame it was made before everyone figured out the whole left stick-right stick thing, controls were fucking terrible. I think shoot was bound to Square. Dogshit.

Then Dark Mirror on PSP or whatever it was called was excellent, especially in terms of replay challenges and unlocking everything. Also Lian Xing looked quality in slightly higher resolution instead of a PS1 blockhead.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

Timesplitters. Take all three games, remake them as a single title, add online multiplayer, keep split-screen, profit.

So many imaginative levels, so many things to unlock, so many classic multiplayer levels, it's absolute madness that this series has been left to rot.

They've announced that the series is coming back. It's one of the 100 or so games Embracer are working on. 

https://www.polygon.com/22445448/new-timesplitters-sequel-announced-deep-silver-free-radical-design

Yes to Timesplitters remakes. 

I'd like Link to the Past to be remade using Breath of the Wild's engine/style/mechanics plz Nintendo. 

Maybe Body Harvest and Space Station Silicon Valley too as a DMA Double. Always liked the latter and never tried the former. 

image.png.3ddb469f912724cb086d022a029f4672.png

I absolutely loved this game on the PS2 and haven't found a game since that fully scratches the itch. On top of that I loaned it to someone years ago and  didn't get it back, so I have no way to play it. It's very unlikely obviously but I would love to be able to easily play it again.

I'd like to see a Jet Force Gemini sequel. The controls are twitchy/janky and the main characters look horribly ugly now, but given a modern makeover it could be smooth as butter. There was such a great variety of weapons to dismember enemies. Rare were the best at death animations in those days, I remember sometimes if you shot enough holes in the ants they would start to slip over in their own blood/goop. It's like the fact it had a kiddy appearance gave them carte blanche to make it super violent. Collecting heads to access cheats was great, you never unlock things like that these days. It was also clearly riffing on Star Wars with the atmospheric environments and also the soundtrack which was fantastic. But maybe tone down the difficulty...

I'd quite like a remake of The Movies... maybe a Two Point Studios or something like that? I always liked the original, although it gets a bit unwieldy after a while. I don't think the original is on any PC game stores these days either.

On 29/09/2021 at 16:28, David Kenny said:

image.png.3ddb469f912724cb086d022a029f4672.png

I absolutely loved this game on the PS2 and haven't found a game since that fully scratches the itch. On top of that I loaned it to someone years ago and  didn't get it back, so I have no way to play it. It's very unlikely obviously but I would love to be able to easily play it again.

My first PS2 game, and absolutely loved it.

There's never really been anything like it since I think. The director's last project seems to have been Balan Wonderworld - believe it or not.

BUT! The recently released Fuga: Melodies of Steel has a very similar vibe, and has received rather positive reviews. I haven't tried it myself, but this might be just the ticket for the few Ring of Red fans still out there.

>>