Dolby Vision for Games on Series X/S

Wahwah*

What does it mean? Get ready to hear the phrase "Specular Highlight Detail" and "HGIG" and more recommendations of LG Oled TVs. 

Gaming in Dolby Vision launches today on Xbox Series X|S. More than 100 next-gen HDR titles optimized for Series X|S are available now or coming soon in Dolby Vision.

In addition, thousands of classic HDR10 and Auto HDR games will benefit from improved picture quality through new Dolby Vision enhancement on Xbox Series X|S

Xbox Series X|S are the first game consoles to support gaming in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, which enhance gameplay with both full-spectrum visuals and immersive audio.

Dolby Vision is compatible with next-generation features available on Xbox Series X|S such as DirectX Raytracing, Automatic low-latency mode (ALLM), Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), and up to 120FPS.

There are more than 100 next-gen HDR titles optimized for Series X|S that will feature Dolby Vision, and in the future you’ll see more games like Halo Infinite taking full advantage of Dolby Vision.

Microsoft has at long last announced Dolby Vision gaming on the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S consoles. By enabling the feature, the next-generation Xbox consoles are the first in the world to offer gaming in both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos surround sound. 

Dolby Vision gaming is a huge deal because it means far more realistic graphics, with brighter highlights, sharper contrast and more vibrant colours when playing games. For the unfamiliar, Dolby Vision is a dynamic HDR format that helps to calibrate the picture shown on the TV using shot-by-shot metadata. Dolby Vision has been a standard feature on new movies and TV shows for a few years now, but it’s new to the world of gaming. 

Dolby, the company that created the standard, says games will appear more realistic and lifelike compared to graphics rendered in HDR10 for example, as Dolby Vision is able to deliver 40-times brighter highlights, 10-times deeper blacks and up to 12-but colour depth. In other words, the graphics displayed on the screen will appear far more refined, the company promises. 

Dolby Vision will be advantageous for gamers in many situations. For example, they’ll be able to spot their opponents hiding in the shadows, or see hidden clues thanks to the expanded contrast and superior clarity it provides. And epic worlds such as lush rain forests and futuristic, neon-lit cities will appear more realistic. 

Microsoft has also promised that more than 100 games will support Dolby Vision graphics at launch, which is a pretty huge number considering there are just 318 titles in all, according to Wikipedia’s official list of Xbox Series X and Series S games. Microsoft hasn’t announced which titles will get the Dolby Vision treatment, with the exception of the Xbox’s flagship Halo Infinite game.

The update does however also benefit older titles released in HDR or Auto HDR. Microsoft said it worked with Dolby to bring new visual enhancement capabilities to older games that will deliver an “improved visual experience” for thousands of classic titles, even if it doesn’t quite hit the heights of native Dolby Vision gaming. 

As always, it must be pointed out that Dolby Vision gaming will only work on compatible TVs and monitors. Luckily there are hundreds of such TVs as Dolby Vision is now standard on many models, but to ensure higher impact a more advanced TV with next-generation gaming features such as auto low-latency mode and variable refresh rate is also required. A number of higher-end 2020 and 2021 TVs sold by the likes of LG Electronics, Samsung Electronics, Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Vizio, TCL and Hisense do fit the bill, but those models aren’t exactly cheap. So if you don’t own such a TV yet, be warned it will require some investment. 

For the best possible gaming experience, gamers might want to consider investing in one of LG Electronics’ 2021 OLED TVs. LG models including the 2021 C1 and G1 received a firmware update in June that takes the experience up a notch higher, adding support for 4K120Hz gaming in Dolby Vision, something that no other TV is currently capable of. 

4K@120Hz is a feature that helps to make super-fast motion UHD images to appear crisper and sharper, so users can expect to see a far more refined picture when it’s paired with Dolby Vision. LG is also planning to enable 4K@120Hz on its 8K OLED Z1, QNED Mini LED QNED99 and NanoCell NAN099 TVs, and may also bring it to some of its 2020 TVs at a later date. 

Microsoft’s biggest games console rival Sony has so far not announced any plans to bring Dolby Vision gaming to the PlayStation 5, though it does support 4K@120Hz on compatible TVs. 

Here's a quick video showing a side-by-side comparison of Dolby Vision gaming vs regular HDR10:  

https://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/n/Microsoft-flips-the-switch-on-Xbox-Dolby-Vision-gaming-with-100-titles

Some good conclusions in this video:

For someone who is shockingly inept at these things, do you need to switch off other HDR settings on the Xbox menus for it to automatically go for Dolby? At the moment, my TV can do all of the HDR options, and all of them are checked. Which kind of seems like it's going to end badly for working out just which one is being used in any given moment!

What do you lot do?

Vincent Teoh's comment right at the end of his vid is the most important one. Comparisons between HDR10 and DV on consoles right now are completely and utterly pointless. To my knowledge, there is not a single game available on any format that is made with Dolby Vision as the main reference for colour and brightness, there are many that make good use of HDR10, and those are available on all formats.

But Dolby Vision?  Nothing. The content doesn't actually exist.

Yet.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Vincent Teoh's comment right at the end of his vid is the most important one. Comparisons between HDR10 and DV on consoles right now are completely and utterly pointless. To my knowledge, there is not a single game available on any format that is made with Dolby Vision as the main reference for colour and brightness, there are many that make good use of HDR10, and those are available on all formats.

Yet.

Thank you for your sacrifice.

A bit OT, but YouTube allows creators to timestamp their videos into segments, and in that second video from @Wahwah* there's literally a <2min segment at the end named "summary."

I don't like long videos posted without context either, but... y'know.

E: maybe some mobile browsers are crap and don't show the timestamps, I guess. But any impatient viewer skips to the summary at the end anyway, don't they?

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yet.

Does he mention which games are being developed with it in mind? I’m guessing he won’t have that information, but if this is something MS have been working towards implementing, then I can imagine most of their upcoming games will be developed with it in mind.

10 minutes ago, JoeK said:

So, do games automatically adjust themselves to whatever HDR modes they've been developed with? 

Eeeehh, yes and no. Some will have been developed in HDR, and the devs will have made them compatible with DV (Gears 5 is one, I think). So, I think that means if you have all the boxes for HDR compatibility ticked, your Xbox will see the game is available to play in DV, and will display it in DV. But right now the DV it's showing is a conversion to DV from the original HDR10 which is what the devs will have coded to originally. At least, that's how I understood it from Vincent's vid.

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

Does he mention which games are being developed with it in mind? I’m guessing he won’t have that information, but if this is something MS have been working towards implementing, then I can imagine most of their upcoming games will be developed with it in mind.

No, because no-one knows that yet. If I had to guess a game or two that would be proper Dolby Vision ... maybe the next proper Forza Motorsport (not Horizon), and whatever they have in store for Gears 6.  

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

No, because no-one knows that yet. If I had to guess a game or two that would be proper Dolby Vision ... maybe the next proper Forza Motorsport (not Horizon), and whatever they have in store for Gears 6.  

I imagine MS know. I just wondered if they’d told reviewers which games are being developed with it, to go with their press release.

I also imagine every first party game going forward will have it as well. But yeah, I reckon the new Forza Motorsport could be the first game to show it off properly.

Well, actually, there are Dolby Vision games. Most of the first party "optimised for Series X" games have it. Anything with HDR10 or AutoHDR, so about 100 games. I imagine what they're doing is sending the console HDR calibration via Dolby Vision somehow.

It's just HDR, it's not going to look any different to a well calibrated HDR image. But that's the point, you don't have to dick around with sliders or rely on lossy TV tonemapping any more. I'm gonna crank up a few games and see if it kicks in.

It’s definitely working for me. Seeing Dolby Vision in Psychonauts. I had to enable it in the Dolby access app, the system menu, and set it to 60hz as the LG CX doesn’t do 120hz/4K/DV yet. Still, it’s exciting! Feels like the HDR slider nightmare might be coming to an end. 

Enabling it on my Panasonic 4k telly made Psychonauts 2 and Metro Exodus look significantly better. Before that I was playing FF13 on backwards compatibility with auto-HDR - I wrnt back to FF13 and that looks significantly better too! Turns out it's now running in dolby vision?? Pressing the guide button says "auto-HDR" but the telly is receiving a dolby vision signal. Has auto-Dolby replaced auto-HDR for backwards compatible games? It looks bloody good.

Edit: fired up Dark Souls Remastered and yep, dolby vision shows up and its sumptuous. I didn't think I would be arsed but at least on this telly it's a massive difference! Going to try the LG CX in the living room tomorrow.

I don’t think Dolby Vision was on my list of needs when buying a new TV but it’s welcome.

The video in the opening post is a bit extreme.

I tend to take some time getting to know my TV and set it up as well as possible.

I think I've actually had it for a while, but I didn't enable it. I've been seeing "your TV can do 4k Dolby Vision at 60hz" for ages. Just waiting for the CX patch for 120hz now.

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Enabling it on my Panasonic 4k telly made Psychonauts 2 and Metro Exodus look significantly better. Before that I was playing FF13 on backwards compatibility with auto-HDR - I wrnt back to FF13 and that looks significantly better too! Turns out it's now running in dolby vision?? Pressing the guide button says "auto-HDR" but the telly is receiving a dolby vision signal. Has auto-Dolby replaced auto-HDR for backwards compatible games? It looks bloody good.

Yes it has!

Most of the games I've tried look the same because I've spent ages dialling in the settings properly with HGIG and sliders rather than dynamic tonemapping. But the main thing is it saves me doing that every time I fire up a new game. Often it's a horrible experience because they give you a random screenshot from the game with a random number attached rather than a slider for NITs. Some games do this (Battlefield for example) and it makes it a million times easier.

Awesome. My telly just got a free upgrade. Any chance of this ever arriving on PS5 too, or is there some kind of exclusivety  going on? Because man this looks awesome

They’ll do it eventually, in some fucked-up Sony way where you have to download DOL and then pay £20 to get the BY and it only works on one level of one game at certain times of day. 

1 minute ago, Moz said:

Yep. But HDR10 and Dolby Vision are essentially the same thing so don’t be too disheartened. 

I'm guessing that Dolby Vision looking so much better means I didn't set up the HDR correctly despite my hours of fiddling when I got it. Nice one.

This telly is the Panasonic TX-43HXW944 fwiw, I sit like 1 to 1.5 meters alway from it in my small but cozy mancave. 43" is the absolute maximum size I can get away with without it becoming uncomfortable. LG has produced a 48" OLED and I would have loved an OLED in the mancave also, but alas. That's too big.

Anyway, I really hope Sony starts supporting DV too because it's extremely nice and convenient.

8 minutes ago, Moz said:

They’ll do it eventually, in some fucked-up Sony way where you have to download DOL and then pay £20 to get the BY and it only works on one level of one game at certain times of day. 

It's funny because it's true. Sony are often so clumsy with this kind of stuff despite being a tech company first and foremost. It's like Nintendo with online stuff.

18 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Dolby Vision's a bit better at bright bits.

Awesome. My telly just got a free upgrade. Any chance of this ever arriving on PS5 too, or is there some kind of exclusivety  going on? Because man this looks awesome

I like how it went from a partridge.gif shrug to being amazing in just a few short posts!