New World - New Amazon Queue simulator MMO

Flub

It's that time again people. New MMO smell. Currently lots of servers with massive queues but Amazon seem to be working on the principle of "Spin up as many new servers as we need so people can actually play and worry about where they're going to go later.

The game's development is interesting. Originally intended to be a 1000 player rustlike it was morphed into a mostly open world MMO after players told them the rustlike was awful. The game has structured PvP, three factions and a very heavy emphasis on crafting with a very, very well done crafting system. The economy seems almost entirely player driven.

Things to note

1. Server queues are monstrous. Don't worry about it just yet. Hop on a low pop server when they spin up. Amazon promise free server transfers in a few weeks when things settle down

2. PvP is completely optional (But looks fun anyway)

This is a good way to check server queues

https://newworldstatus.com/

There's a fair amount to do solo. I pretty much got to level 40 solo during the beta, bar a couple of story missions that require 5 man dungeon runs. 

Apparently each server has a 2000 player capacity and despite rolling a low pop one at the time, the queue at 8pm last night was 2,800 and not moving. Estimated wait time 5 hours. Why did they let so many sign up for servers with such low capacity? 

Doubt I'll be playing much in the short term due to this. 

I’m very interested in giving this a go but due to the server issues I’m just not bothering. If it’s still not sorted within a few weeks I’d guess I’ll just turn my attention elsewhere. 

Looks like Amazon are currently spinning up a load of extra EU servers again. I just checked in advance of lunchtime and my server currently is low pop and no queue. Just what I need for a gathering session on my lunchbreak

It scratches the MMO itch that I, and I think you, have had for a long time.  I can't tell you how many I've installed, started, and almost instantly bounced off in the last few years. SO many Korean clones ...

Dauntless, Genshin Impact, and Marvel Heroes all held me, but everything else was "Install, play once, write off." I guess that, as much as I claim otherwise, production values really do matter. 

This one just feels right, from the very start. My Spidey-sense tingled, and I long ago learned to trust it. Nothing in the first area even hints at a need to group up, but I imagine that 1st "dungeon", if you can actually call it that, could catch somebody new to the genre off guard. It certainly hints at the possibility of more interesting challenges later on. Here's hoping some of us play together in the RLLMUK company at some point more than a month from now ...

It looks like Amazon have started to increase server capacity. Some servers in Aus have been increased by 500 players. Won't touch the sides for some servers of course but they don't seem to be sleeping on the job at least.

Tonight I'm going to carry on trying out the weapons while hunting for resources. I need hemp to craft bullets and some more light armour. And also do more faction missions so I can buy the thing I need to craft a new bag.

Does anyone know if there's an option to hide your helmet?

56 minutes ago, Flub said:

It looks like Amazon have started to increase server capacity. Some servers in Aus have been increased by 500 players. Won't touch the sides for some servers of course but they don't seem to be sleeping on the job at least.

Tonight I'm going to carry on trying out the weapons while hunting for resources. I need hemp to craft bullets and some more light armour. And also do more faction missions so I can buy the thing I need to craft a new bag.

Does anyone know if there's an option to hide your helmet?

Yes. Right click on the helmet, go to change skin, choose “none”. 

I'm level 15 now. Some thoughts on gathering and crafting

Gathering.

The basic systems are nice. Every gather upgrades your skill and they don't seem stingy with how many resources you get. Stuff gets unlocked at various skill levels including things appearing on the compass when you get close to them. Super close in fact making it useless for iron and hemp but great for the smaller nuts and berries.

The main problem I have with gathering is resource availability. Some stuff like wood and stone is everywhere. Rarer stuff like iron and hemp is imo too rare. Iron isn't too bad but there are definitely less spawns than I would have expected and you can expect to run around for quite some time without finding any. Hemp seems stupid. To date after running over almost every inch of the zone I'm in the only hemp spawns I've ever seen are super close to the town. That's three nodes. If you want to make bullets for your musket you need to make gunpowder. To get gunpowder you need saltpeter. The tooltip and guides I've read say this is found in wolf caves. Of which there are a tiny handful and I've literally never seen a spawn. So sadly I've been unable to try out the musket

Crafting

I like this. Simple and straightforward. There are some QOL changes I'd like but overall it just works. However some crafts are going to be tedious to level and a lot of MMOs make this same mistake. Dealing with hides and animal skins for example is easy. Put a load of raw materials in, get some back at a higher tier that you use to craft other stuff. It's the other stuff like gear that's the problem. To level metal weapon crafting you have to craft many many many weapons. Weapons you'll never need and can't sell and you can't bulk salvage them either. Trades like this need an intermediate thing you generally craft in large amounts that's useful elsewhere with occasional big gear crafts to equip yourself and give extra xp.

Top tip. As soon as you can focus on making a bag for your bag slot. It adds 100 encumberance and really extends the amount of time you can be out gathering. The only material you'll have trouble with is a rune of holding (Or whatever it's called). You buy them from your faction but you'd only need to to 9-10 faction missions to be able to afford it.

On the subject of faction missions. They're generally very simple. Go here. Kill this, collect that. Quick to do and straightforward. However there are a few issues. First there doesn't seem to be much variety and you'll end up doing exactly the same ones over and over again.

Secondly looting causes issues. If you kill an Elk and need to skin it note that anyone can skin that elk. You can kill something and then be unable to do anything about another player running up and stealing the carcass. This brings me to one particular faction mission I endured last night.

Go to this place. Kill three Elk and skin them. Simple right? Well no. First there's a tiny amount of elk (And they're not called Elk. They're labeled Doe. Hope you know what one of those is :) ). Secondly if you lay a hit on them they instantly sprint off into the distance faster than Sonic on cocaine and multiple times faster than your topspeed. Then if you actually manage to nail one of these demons from the Speed force chances are someone else enduring the same hell as you will run up and steal the item you need. So small spawns, incredibly difficult to kill, long respawn times, wrong name on the mob and after all that you're not even certain to get what you need. The reward? Some faction currency and about 8 gold.

Another mission was go to this area and kill wolves. I needed to kill 5. Went to the area and there were two wolves and about 8 players. Those two wolves were killed very quickly and then took about 10 minutes to respawn. I roamed that entire area multiple times and even ranged far beyond where the game said to kill wolves. No wolves.

Also respawn times in some areas are actually far too fast. You can barely be finished one mob than the last one you killed has respawned and it punching you in the arse.

Still enjoying myself immensely though. I made half a level 15-16 just spending 40 minutes levelling my gathering skills this morning before work.

Top tip. weak hp potions are a life saver and super easy to craft. Go to a river. See all those million bullrushes? Grab them all. As many as you like. It's super quick. Next grab a load of water from the same river. You don't even need your own bucket.

Make a camp. A weak hp potion takes one bullrush pod (Or whatever they're called) and 1 water. I generally carry around about 50 at a time.

1 hour ago, Flub said:

They're labeled Doe. Hope you know what one of those is :) ).

Doe? A deer. A female deer! 

I had a quest to go kill a big wolf in a cave and skin it. Ran into the exact same problems as you. Many players there, only one can skin it per spawn. Dumb. 

I believe that all you need is 1 hit on a mob to get kill credit. I didn't realise corpses were lootable for all right away, there seemed to be a reasonable delay when I was playing. It looked like I had the first X seconds, then it becomes open for all.

I found Saltpetre in the first wolf cave I visited, at level 6. Just the 1 spawn, admittedly. I guess luck plays a part.

Clearly the game wants us to group. Equally clearly, who the hell ever groups in MMOs? Certainly not with randoms, they're always utter freaks! But the game is very good, and may even become great with a few patches.

It's possible to encourage grouping without it needing to be formal. GW2 despite any other problems it has achieved that incredibly well.

I found saltpeter during a closed beta but I've never seen a scrap on live. I suspect long respawn times and extremely limited supply. There always seems to be silver in those caves though. I guess a lot of people must be buying their bullets from the faction store.

What weapons are people using? I wanted a ranged option that didn't use ammo so I eventually settled on rapier for melee range and currently the ice gauntlet for ranged but given it's dex and int I have the option of the fire staff too. The rapier isn't my fave weapon but there's not much choice in melee if you want to avoid a strength build. There are some nice skills on the ice gauntlet though.