New World - New Amazon Queue simulator MMO

Flub

28 minutes ago, Flub said:

What weapons are people using?

I'm still deciding on this, myself. Right now I am using Fire or Life Staff and Rapier, although I'm just getting at least 1 skill in everything to start with and see what clicks. I quite enjoyed Hammer. I got plenty of musket ammo on the starting beach, and even some arrows, so have tried both of those weapons. I haven't got the Gauntlet yet, but will almost certainly switch when I find one.

All I know for sure is that I won't allow myself to be a dedicated healer. Too many idiots in MMOs who crybaby when you don't fix them after they tried to solo a dungeon. I don't need that stress in my life!

8 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

I'm still deciding on this, myself. Right now I am using Fire or Life Staff and Rapier, although I'm just getting at least 1 skill in everything to start with and see what clicks. I quite enjoyed Hammer. I got plenty of musket ammo on the starting beach, and even some arrows, so have tried both of those weapons. I haven't got the Gauntlet yet, but will almost certainly switch when I find one.

All I know for sure is that I won't allow myself to be a dedicated healer. Too many idiots in MMOs who crybaby when you don't fix them after they tried to solo a dungeon. I don't need that stress in my life!

I'm keen on the life staff but I'm not sure if the game works if you focus on dex,int,focus and con at the same time. I suppose with the life staff you could sacrifice some con. In pvp I'd rather have a healer role.

Top row of Fire Mage line, Spell Focus  gives 5% of Max mana back with heavy attacks. And 2nd row of Pyromancer line, Heat Up gives 5% max for blocking melee attacks. It's not much, but it definitely helps.

I kinda wish Life staff wasn't sat on its own attribute. Bunging it in with Intelligence (And maybe constitution to ease off the glass cannon healers) would probably provide a lot more healers in the game

There’s an attribute on life staff that makes it so your light and heavy attacks don’t consume mana. There’s also one that gives mana back after you block I think, as well as one that increases healing (thereby decreasing the amount of heals you need to cast and therefore mana used) when you successful dodge. 

Tonight's plan is to do some more faction missions and a few bits more of the main quest. I apparently have the chance to do the tier 2 campsite quest. In the background I shall be watching Giant Bomb playing New World on Twitch (Streamed last night). I'm guessing it's Jan.

I have never played an MMORPG of any kind before. Couple of questions:

Is this a good one to start with? Does it have a gentle on-ramp for someone who has no clue about genre tropes etc.? Is it significantly more/less complex or welcoming to MMO-virgins than its peers?

Will it be a problem that I’ll only have a few hours a week of game time? I.e. will I be booted from a company, will it take me months of real-world time to progress etc.?

10 hours ago, jonamok said:

I have never played an MMORPG of any kind before. Couple of questions:

Is this a good one to start with? Does it have a gentle on-ramp for someone who has no clue about genre tropes etc.? Is it significantly more/less complex or welcoming to MMO-virgins than its peers?

Will it be a problem that I’ll only have a few hours a week of game time? I.e. will I be booted from a company, will it take me months of real-world time to progress etc.?

At the moment you will use those precious hours in a queue to get into the game.

Dunno, I’m already finding it a massive grind. Quests, which were added late in development after Amazon realised a fully pvp focused mmo wasn’t going to work, are far too basic. There’s no real story to speak of. There’s a lot of walking ages to get somewhere then walking ages to get back. It doesn’t really do anything different or special, it’s just “new” and therefore more exciting than other mmos that have been out a while. I don’t see it being popular past the first month or so. 

While it doesn't especially add anything to the genre, what it is is exceptionally polished. It is a little grindy, but that's part of the appeal of an MMO. System upon system of skills to level, each of which you can improve by doing instead of automatically improve across the board by simply being a higher level. This means that I could theoretically just be more skilled than a higher level player in PvP and thus survive gank attempts.

Newcomers are well-served, the tutorial is ongoing and extensive. It actually gets in the way a little if you've done this stuff before. 

What I like the most is that there are no classes. Anyone can equip anything, and free respecs mean you can try all styles until one fits. Class-It-Yourself! I tend to use ranged attacks to pull an enemy before switching to heavy melee when they get to my face, but I could also just as easily be barging right in or AoE-ing.

My one complaint isn't even a fair one. I feel it forces faction choice on you too soon, but also understand that this is how it was designed. I would be quite happy purely PvE-ing, and not caring about who owns what. As it is, I can mostly ignore that I'm green, but I'd simply rather be neutral.

56 minutes ago, Hamus said:

Does this do anything new or is it just a polished samey MMO? Basically hitting those mini dopamine hits as it flows together reasonably well.

It started out as a survival PVP game and that DNA is still there. The crafting is a lot better than most MMO's and tbh, as Shark says, the SP questing is quite dull, so imo it's best played as a survival game. Spend time farming, learn to cook, craft and buy housing to decorate etc and there's a lot here to enjoy - particularly if you get into the PVP side of things, which I spent most of yesterday doing. 

2 hours ago, Hamus said:

Does this do anything new or is it just a polished samey MMO? Basically hitting those mini dopamine hits as it flows together reasonably well.

It's fun, but suffers from the current obsession with giving you 100's of things to do at once, there seems very little time to stop and admire the scenery, I remember when I first played WoW they gave you time to breath and it really felt like going on an adventure into the unknown, this feels a bit like I'm ticking off a list.  

1 hour ago, Melon_Bread said:

It's fun, but suffers from the current obsession with giving you 100's of things to do at once, there seems very little time to stop and admire the scenery, I remember when I first played WoW they gave you time to breath and it really felt like going on an adventure into the unknown, this feels a bit like I'm ticking off a list.  

I'd second this, the ever-changing quest list at top-right annoys me. Thankfully, you can unpin quests so as to focus on whatever you want to. All I've really done so far is visited the settlements in the south half of the game: First Light, Windsward, Everfall, Monarch's Bluff, and Cutlass Keys. But, if I leave the game to itself, I'm being given all sorts of things to head to. That's the opposite of what I want ever since BotW allowed me to discover my own path.

Yep, was on the verge of buying it, then saw that video earlier via Resetera and read a few other things elsewhere, and no fucking way am I risking my 3070 in the current graphic card climate. Maybe one day if they get to the bottom of it, but I seriously doubt Amazon will address it.

Level 24 so far. I settled on hammer and life staff and it's been a blast. Hammer just feels so satisfying.

Also the game is stupidly pretty

New-World-Screenshot-2021-10-02-22-10-08

New-World-Screenshot-2021-10-02-22-11-11

New-World-Screenshot-2021-10-02-13-08-46

New-World-Screenshot-2021-10-02-13-47-03

New-World-Screenshot-2021-10-02-21-51-06

New-World-Screenshot-2021-10-02-22-11-56

New-World-Screenshot-2021-10-02-19-47-13

One thing I will say is don't sleep on keeping your gear up to date. Especially your armour. Don't rely on quests to give you upgrades. Spend some cash at the trading post and keep it updated. You'll find the game becomes much more pleasant.

I would love to get this game but... being I'm an owner of an EVGA FTW3 3090, I really don't want to take the risk. EVGA have handled themselves very well and have replaced all of the broken cards apparently. Saying that, I just don't want to be in the situation where my graphics card blows up and I'm left without it for a time because of one game. I can play COD, MSFS, Cyberpunk, BFV for hours at max settings with no issues. Not playing a game I originally wanted to play, yeah sure it's annoying but at the cost of my graphics card it's a pretty easy choice to make.

I'm almost at the point of the main story where you have to do a group dungeon. I keep seeing people looking for group in the chat. Did Amazon really make progressing the story depend on manually pulling a group together to do a dungeon?

While this is a very polished MMO I'm noticing in various places things going on that have been solved problems in MMOs for years. Like sending me to a place to plant poison in barrels but only letting one player use the barrels before they need a 5-10 minute respawn.

Also the economy is going to be interesting to watch. Currently the main ways of getting gold are main and side quests. You get a tiny amount for salvaging gear and a very modest amount for doing facton quests. Once the main and side quests run out the average player is going to have a very modest gold income which means prices on the trading post are going to have to scale down considerably.

I stopped myself playing this yesterday, played it quite a bit during the day, then it sort of struck me what am I actually doing? what am I aiming for? I feel like I am am just ticking off a list of busy work and it's starting to seem like a big old waste of time.

I guess a lot of games can feel like that, but this one more so. It's like they were scared to let you have any sort of downtime, not everyone has the attention span of a goldfish. It's like the game has no rhythm to it, it's just non stop stuff.

1 hour ago, Melon_Bread said:

I stopped myself playing this yesterday, played it quite a bit during the day, then it sort of struck me what am I actually doing? what am I aiming for? I feel like I am am just ticking off a list of busy work and it's starting to seem like a big old waste of time.

I guess a lot of games can feel like that, but this one more so. It's like they were scared to let you have any sort of downtime, not everyone has the attention span of a goldfish. It's like the game has no rhythm to it, it's just non stop stuff.

Yep I echo this.