OG Xbox - was it reliable?

You need a 1.6 which can be hard to identify from the box alone.  Also there was an issue where Microsoft sent out power cables with a surge protector style box halfway down because some incident happened. Don't know if that was an over reaction, but worth knowing, as the standard figure-8 power cables were replaced with this...

Screenshot_20211003-083358.jpg

Taking the offending capacitor out of a pre 1.6 isn’t difficult. No soldering skills or anything required.You can just remove it from the board by literally snipping it off, and that’s it you’re protected from leaks. No remedial work/replacement required - it will still work after its removal. 

So if the model you are looking at still has a capacitor which is yet to leak you should be fine. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/2021 at 08:35, dumpster said:

You need a 1.6 which can be hard to identify from the box alone.  Also there was an issue where Microsoft sent out power cables with a surge protector style box halfway down because some incident happened. Don't know if that was an over reaction, but worth knowing, as the standard figure-8 power cables were replaced with this...

Screenshot_20211003-083358.jpg

That’s because the solder joins on the connector we’re not holding up so they sent those out to everyone to avoid any lawsuits I guess. It isn’t required but you may want one just in case.

My 1.6 model didn't come with one of those power cables, just a normal black one. I had to open the thing up to find out if it was a 1.6 through which isn't tricky, just a bit fiddly as you have to take all the drives out first. I don't know why Microsoft decided on having a capacitor for the clock over a battery. Even on my model when you pull the power plug out it discharges with a very loud crack. 

Touch wood but coming up on 17 years after getting this it's still going. Yes it's noisy and bulky, the controller would be improved as time went on, but it is still a great machine with some fantastic original games. 

4 hours ago, Darwock said:

The disc drives were a bit shit too. Even during it’s working lifetime mine had stopped reading discs consistently - and I had one of the desirable models of drive too.

My old Xbox (I don’t have it anymore) began damaging my discs - I think it was something to do with the console being moved, or vibrating, and something being knocked out of alignment? Whatever the case, discs were coming out scratched and every game was a time bomb.

In the end I just ripped the two or three games I was playing regularly and didn’t bother with anything else. Having 3rd Strike available via the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection was enough. :)