IGNORED

Is LBC ok?

I'm a bit confused about this station.  I've mostly listened to James O'Brien, who seems to have his head screwed on right. They also have Nick Ferrari though, who seems to be a bit of a racist alarmist cunt.

So, is it a station that tries to represent a broad range of views, or am I missing something?

Not as bad as Talkradio, but not great either. It has some truly awful presenters (Ferrari, Nawaz, Tominey et al) has Eddie Mair, who is alright, and presenters that were good but are rather less so nowadays (O'Brien, Abbot).

No it's cunts

I used the listen to it for a while thinking - it's good to know what they might say incase I got into a argument. But it turns out they are all facists so you can't really argue with them 

O Brien loves having a whinge about the current government oblivious to the fact he helped get then elected the useless fucking cunt. I find it offensive as well that he wrote a book called "how to be right".

24 minutes ago, Gambit said:

O Brien loves having a whinge about the current government oblivious to the fact he helped get then elected the useless fucking cunt. I find it offensive as well that he wrote a book called "how to be right".

Well it's an honest title in terms of his political sensibilities at least.

James O'Brien is a classic liberal who likes to do a sadface when bad things happen yet refuses to accept any change to the status quo. He got a lot of fame for being anti-Brexit, and admittedly he has been consistent and well informed on the subject, but like so many in the Centre he was happy to trash the one realistic opportunity to avoid where we are now, with unhinged rantings like:

Before he joined LBC he had a short run TV chat show, O'Brien, which sounds like the most Partridge thing ever created without the involvement of Richard Madeley:

About the new show, O’Brien said: "I hate the way politicians have started banging on about 'ordinary people' recently. There's no such thing. Everyone's extraordinary in their own way, with extraordinary stories to tell and passionate opinions informed by their experiences and what's in the news. I can't wait to start listening to them."

The show ran for ten episodes, five of which featured Jim Davidson as a guest.

The only comedy value is seeing how any mention of Corbyn sets him off:

Completely rent free in his head.

LBC just reminds me of getting a cab anywhere in London having to listen to a blasting radio of people quarrelling and adverts for Toolstation. I think if there's a show you like though I don't see a problem listening to it. I enjoy a lot of TalkSport and think there's some genuinely funny shows and good presenters, but it's a station with very dubious ownership and funding with terrible tabloid leanings. Abandoning every media outlet like that doesn't leave you much to listen to whilst you're driving to work though.

Weird seeing this topic, i had never even heard of this station then when in a hungover stupor on saturday watching youtube crap a James o Brien video was in the suggestions. Ended up binging a whole bunch of videos where crazy and stupid people called in and he put them in his place. He came across as quite a good guy. But thats all i know of him or the station. 

I've listened to LBC my whole life, my mum use to have it on when I was a kid and I just find it comforting to have it on in the background.

I find it weird you all hate O'brien, from some of your comments I doubt you've ever listened to him. Couple of 'zinger' posts in this thread that he regularly goes on about on his show, like how terrible his TV show was.

Anyway Eddie Mair, James, Shelagh Fogarty and Nick Abbot are all worth a listen. 

14 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

I've listened to LBC my whole life, my mum use to have it on when I was a kid and I just find it comforting to have it on in the background.

I find it weird you all hate O'brien, from some of your comments I doubt you've ever listened to him. Couple of 'zinger' posts in this thread that he regularly goes on about on his show, like how terrible his TV show was.

Anyway Eddie Mair, James, Shelagh Fogarty and Nick Abbot are all worth a listen. 

With regards to O’Brien, it’s pretty easy to hate all the cunts that helped enable the Tories in the last 5 years while mercilessly attacking the one decent chance we had for some proper change. 

Sadly this includes an awful lot of people I used to have a ton of respect for.

37 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

I’m sure he mentions the many times he’s made himself look a prick over Corbyn and the sterling work he did to get the Tories elected all the time. :sherlock:

Did LBC consciously pivot toward people like O'Brien and Farage to boost ratings? I grew up listening to Douglas Cameron in the 80s and I don't remember it being particularly controversial. It seems like a completely different station now.

Nick Abbot (Friday-Sunday 10pm to 1am) is one of my favorite radio shows to listen to. To hear a fairly sensible person deal with the kind of person who rings up a talk radio station in the twilight hours is constantly entertaining. The whole show is like a panto at this point.

A journalist of O'Briens calibre would surely be asking questions why the Peoples Vote that he cheered for so strongly simply melted away when it came to the moment where the opportunity to have it was there.

6 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Did LBC consciously pivot toward people like O'Brien and Farage to boost ratings? I grew up listening to Douglas Cameron in the 80s and I don't remember it being particularly controversial. It seems like a completely different station now.

Not really, I think the world has generally got more political so the station reflects that, gone are the days of movie reviews, I won a really nice horror movie book on there in the 90's.

40 minutes ago, ThePixelbarks said:

Nick Abbot (Friday-Sunday 10pm to 1am) is one of my favorite radio shows to listen to. To hear a fairly sensible person deal with the kind of person who rings up a talk radio station in the twilight hours is constantly entertaining. The whole show is like a panto at this point.

Has he cut out all the anti-lockdown stuff? I used to enjoy him a lot back in the day, but lost an awful lot of respect for him when he started with all that crap.

17 minutes ago, thingymajig said:

Has he cut out all the anti-lockdown stuff? I used to enjoy him a lot back in the day, but lost an awful lot of respect for him when he started with all that crap.

He has thankfully, the pandemic in general made him sway from one extreme to the other for some reason. Towards the beginning he was afraid to even consider stepping outside his home and was bleaching everything to the point of paranoia. There's being vigilant, but it did feel he was taking it too far. The toll was having a massive effect on the quality of his show as well.

But as we're currently in prime "What the hell are the people running this country doing without being challenged" season, it's great listening again.

12 minutes ago, ThePixelbarks said:

He has thankfully, the pandemic in general made him sway from one extreme to the other for some reason. Towards the beginning he was afraid to even consider stepping outside his home and was bleaching everything to the point of paranoia. There's being vigilant, but it did feel he was taking it too far. The toll was having a massive effect on the quality of his show as well.

But as we're currently in prime "What the hell are the people running this country doing without being challenged" season, it's great listening again.

He was doing the show in marigold washing gloves at one point wasn't he.

James O Brien is great.

I mean he doesn’t accept that coming 50 seats behind a leader who didn’t bother campaigning in the 2017 GE is a win, nor does he accept that winning 3 general elections from 1997-2010 and making massive improvements to the country is a loss, but no-one is perfect.