Edge #364

Qazimod

18 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Now I just want to play Deathloop even more, I’d even buy a PS5, but there aren’t any :hmm:

CEX and E-Bay seem to have plenty! :) 

Actually PS5s are going up again on CEX - £40 in the past two days(!) currently they'll pay £520 cash for one and sell you one for £720...

This whole situation is insane... 

1 minute ago, MattyP said:

CEX and E-Bay seem to have plenty! :) 

Actually PS5s are going up again on CEX - £40 in the past two days(!) currently they'll pay £520 cash for one and sell you one for £720...

This whole situation is insane... 

Christ, I check very casually each day for stock but to no avail - guess I need to put in the hard work if I really want one. 

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Christ, I check very casually each day for stock but to no avail - guess I need to put in the hard work if I really want one. 

Apparently some bundles are due to drop anytime soon... although I expect they'll be pounced on pretty quickly by the usual suspects. Nice markup for the festive season I expect.... Sometimes I hate the WWW and people / greed... :D But well capitalism and all that... :( 

6 hours ago, jonamok said:

And yes, Kena was the most stuck-on Edge 6 ever, bless their joyless hearts.

I don't know how joyless it is. Every preview and review of it I've seen makes it pretty clear that it's just 3rd person story-led action adventure by numbers, except the numbers are pretty and cute.

7 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I don't know how joyless it is. Every preview and review of it I've seen makes it pretty clear that it's just 3rd person story-led action adventure by numbers, except the numbers are pretty and cute.

I think that’s pretty fair. If you’re scoring a game based on how innovative, or indeed derivative, it is - which is perfectly valid - then the 6 makes sense. If you’re scoring based on how fun it is, that’s a different matter. 

17 minutes ago, Popo said:

I think that’s pretty fair. If you’re scoring a game based on how innovative, or indeed derivative, it is - which is perfectly valid - then the 6 makes sense. If you’re scoring based on how fun it is, that’s a different matter. 

Yes, I guess Edge’s logic with that lead to this - 

E6D51803-DDB7-4C64-9B72-774F0ED3CC87.thumb.png.37ab8b385f2a6bbdfab24ca17ea40f6c.png

[6]

I won't pull text from the Kena review, but the gist is that it's generally fine but unremarkable - they call out some fiddly aspects of the combat and highlight some dull non-combat stuff, and it sounds like the story's just "there" rather than being anything gripping or thought-provoking.

I personally didn't see the big deal when it was first revealed, but I'm a sucker for cute and janky adventures so maybe I'll end up getting it after a price drop :P 

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

I won't pull text from the Kena review, but the gist is that it's generally fine but unremarkable - they call out some fiddly aspects of the combat and highlight some dull non-combat stuff, and it sounds like the story's just "there" rather than being anything gripping or thought-provoking.

I personally didn't see the big deal when it was first revealed, but I'm a sucker for cute and janky adventures so maybe I'll end up getting it after a price drop :P 

I honestly wouldn’t disagree with that summary, apart from the jank - it’s surprisingly polished. It is so derivative of other games, to the point where you can taste the individual ingredients; it doesn’t come together as it’s own unique dish, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t taste great anyway. 

13 hours ago, Qazimod said:

It's not janky. Also, it's only £35 digitial, not £70.

I can see where some reviewers are coming from (the ire in the Kena thread regarding EG's review is OTT though), because there is absolutely nothing original about the game. But it's still a wonderfully charming game to play. :)

I've been shifting around my old copies of Edge and couldn't help notice when this issue dropped how thin the magazine feels. As the page count is the same it must be the thickness of the paper which feels a bit cheap now. Remember when they launched this look of the magazine and it boasted about its glossy pages! Aren't we well overdue an overhaul of the mag now after more than a decade?

6 hours ago, Rob Rymond said:

I've been shifting around my old copies of Edge and couldn't help notice when this issue dropped how thin the magazine feels. As the page count is the same it must be the thickness of the paper which feels a bit cheap now. Remember when they launched this look of the magazine and it boasted about its glossy pages! Aren't we well overdue an overhaul of the mag now after more than a decade?

I bought the latest copy recently and this is one thing I've noticed too. Paper thickness and they don't use a shiny metallic colour anymore that was used in earlier mags and also its size in terms of dimensions has reduced significantly. Guess it's just cost cutting to keep it as profitable as possible. It was also £6.20 think last time I bought one it was around a fiver. TBH surprised it's still around in paper format this day and age. So at least I could buy a physical copy. Not sure why I went physical really just needed a break from screens l guess and wanted an old school experience. 

I got Bonfire Peaks with the soundtrack based on the Edge 9 and it indeed is an elegant, clever, soothing little puzzler so far. Only done a couple of them so I haven't reached the inevitable off-putting ultra hard part, but it's nice to know that on PS5 you can pull up the dedicated "hint" card accompanying every single puzzle, with a clip that just straightforwardly shows you the solution.

Bonfire Peaks has a demo (on Switch at least), its very reminiscent of Stephen's sausage roll, but at the same time quite different. Good to see it got a 9 from EDGE as I love this kind of game.

The developer's previous Sokoban-like is well worth trying as well — A Monster's Expedition is as charming (visually and narratively) as it is satisfying.