IGNORED

Only Murders in the Building - Disney+/Hulu

Thor

I'd actually recommend not watching the trailer and just watching the show (though the trailer doesn't give away much). I've started this thread after reading some positive posts about it in the Disney+ thread, I've now seen all 7 episodes (more to come) and it's a lovely 21st century twist on the classic whodunnit:

Three disparate people living in an upper-class apartment block in New York city come together to start a podcast investigating the murder of a resident in their building after it is officially ruled a suicide.

Martin Short is equal parts incredibly annoying and incredibly endearing while also being a perfect illustration of clueless white male privilege, he's often showed up for the dinosaur he is by Selena Gomez, who is fucking great in this. As for Steve Martin, he co-created the show, and it's just great to see him on screen again after a long absence, which is where I believe his character in this show comes from - his classic brand of awkward comedy is put to great use in this.

It's just a fun show which I have thoroughly enjoyed and look forward to seeing more of.

Apparently we're a week behind the Hulu showing in the states. Disney+ is up to Episode 7, while Hulu is up to Episode 8.

My wife and I love it. The actual mystery isn’t all that intriguing, but watching Steve Martin and Martin Short is great - not so fussed about Selena Gomez. Both Martin and Short look great for their age. 

It’s been renewed for a second season. 

Given the timing of when the question arose in the series, I knew it wouldn't be the case, but it would have been great if

Spoiler

Sting was actually the murderer. But when that obviously wasn't going to happen, I thought maybe he could be a second victim, but they didn't go there either.

But I am enjoying the show.

I just love it. Performances are great, it looks fantastic. Avoiding spoilers, but one of the last two episodes that had a very specific stylistic difference, was really smart.

It feels more like a play, than a telly show, which I’m guessing is deliberate, given Martin Short’s character’s profession. But maybe it’s also the sets, and the small cast. 

Either way, it’s cracking. 

2 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

This is my favourite TV of the year I think. Ep 7,

Hide contents

the one with no dialogue

, was so clever and so well done. I like getting one episode a week.

Ep 7 was incredible, my absolute favourite episode so far. 

• 2 weeks later...

Protip: Don't do what I almost did, but avoided only out of distraction with something else, and stop it at the end credits of todays new episode. Because there's actually 2 episodes today, to finish the season.

Great finale.

Spoiler

Good to see Steve Martin getting to showcase more of his physical comedy. Did a lol at him having the elevator doors closing on his dick. I'm very simple with what I find funny. :lol:

I loved it when...

Spoiler

Savage managed to get up and give his speech to Jan. I was thinking "oh this is fucking cheesy", and then it cuts to what's really happening with him still drugged up and babbling! :lol:

Thanks for the heads up. We watched Squid Game tonight, so OMITB tomorrow.

I don’t think the show is especially well written or scripted - it’s just really nice, in a gentle, harm hug sort of a way. Seeing Steve Martin’s beaming smile should be prescribed as a cure for depression on the NHS.

On 20/10/2021 at 13:11, AstroBot said:

It’s vintage Steve Martin in the finale.  The elevator….hahahah

The stroller :lol:

Ive found the show to be gently amusing throughout, but the finale is hilarious. You summed it up perfectly, it’s vintage Steve Martin.