Only Murders in the Building - Season 2 starts now on Disney+

Thor

Yeah they've been on record as saying Serial was a big inspiration and Tina Fey's character is based on Sarah Koenig. Like you said, it's not exactly subtle.

Great episode this week, shame they're only 10 episode seasons really. I kinda regret watching this now cos I binged the first one over Christmas and it just feels wrong to watch it in the summer now.

They’re laying on the “boy we’re really treading water” thing a bit thick, especially now one of the leads has started to comment on it. At some point it stops being a meta gag and starts being a valid review of the show.

12 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

They’re laying on the “boy we’re really treading water” thing a bit thick, especially now one of the leads has started to comment on it. At some point it stops being a meta gag and starts being a valid review of the show.

I have to wonder if they realised during filming that they had some issues. For example, what's happened to Delevingne's character? That side plot was a bit crap and ultimately pointless (at least, so far). Then there's Cinda Canning and her assistant, the plot involving them hasn't really gone anywhere either. They at least wrapped up Jan's part of the story. 

Also, regarding last night's reveal...

Spoiler

I actually don't think he's the killer, just an idiot cop who got some glitter on him and then scratched his neck.

I bet he’s the guy who got glittered and was on the train, but

Spoiler

Not the murderer

Cat guy’s new boyfriend

Spoiler

Has the sneeze

• 2 weeks later...

I get where people are coming from regarding plot movement, or lack thereof but I'm finding the mystery to be the last thing I'm watching it for.   These characters interacting and living their lives out is all I really need.   The scenes involving Martin Short and Nathan Lane could from another show where there are no murders at all and it would still be brilliant.   

I think the cast has a wonderful chemistry and just seeing them all together is a joy.

I haven't found the story to be as interesting this series though, considering we have the final episode today. Also, whereas I recall the first season dropping little crumbs for the audience to work out (or am I completely misremembering that?), I don't feel that has been the case this time -  it feels a bit more haphazard.

Spoiler

I think cat guy having a sneeze is misdirection - it will somebody allergic to birds, I reckon.

Also, for a real out there theory, how about Brazzo's stunt double being involved? She's tall and nimble and could easily have been in the overalls as part of the master plan.

I thought it was decent, but not great. The actual macguffin 

Spoiler

'sandwich' 

was tenuous at best, hackneyed at worst.

This season had quite a few little vignettes that didn't really either service the plot or really build out a character 

Spoiler

Nina disappeared early on and when she came back in the blackout episode I had forgotten who she was, or Howard's blackout experience which seemed to just plant the seed that somebody would have a reaction to the bird, or Marv doing nothing until his one moment in the spotlight etc

Things didn't feel as cohesive as the first series and it lacked a bit of the sparkle. I also really don't like the setup for series 3 as it stands. 

That said, and as per my previous post, seeing the gang together is quite lovely and there's a real comfort watching them. Martin and Short have that 'old man' rapport now that doesn't have the friction of the first adventure, and they share a paternal love for Mabel now. They are an odd trio, but they work and hold it all together even when it feels like it is dragging a little.

There were a couple of bits that I thought were really funny. The mystery itself was not as good as season 1 though. I still really enjoy it - it doesn't outstay it's welcome and is just a very nice bit of TV. 

This season I thought it was obvious that the plot/mystery was most likely written as  individual episodes went into production rather than righty planned in advance. IMO. (I mean, I can imagine that alternative takes and endings were filmed.)