IGNORED

Scream (2022)

Paulando

I had no idea this was from the directors of Ready or Not, which has made me even more interested in seeing it.

As someone who never found the Scream franchise proper scary, I can't say I'll have the same (main) issue Kermode has.

2 hours ago, Gambit said:

I had no idea this was from the directors of Ready or Not, which has made me even more interested in seeing it

Ah so that's why it got mentioned in it. I think one of the characters slags that movie off!

I saw it earlier. I guess the reason they called it the same name of the original movie is because it pretty much is a remake of the first movie - again, it's even called out that fans love movies that bring back old characters and retell similar stories like many movies have like the force awakens.

Is the film scary? Not massively, but it did feel pretty tense at times. The kills were pretty graphic. There was a sad moment but you didn't really have time to process it because of how the film was moving so quick.

spoiler time

Spoiler

So i liked the call backs to the original - seeing billy lomas again was pretty neat - this made me think stuey was going to show up as well, perhaps as the killer. (dont ask)

The story of how Sam was actually Billy lomas kid and the whole drama thing with her sister kinda worked but as the film progresses it becomes less important and doesn't really lead anywhere massively important besides being a big secret.  I didn't really think much of the actress in this though, she didn't seem to have the onscreen presence neve campell did.

The nod to wes craven was a nice touch.

Where is everyone during the hospital scene? Like the entire hospital was empty? Also, the deputy called through to the police to get to her house - obviously couldn't be bothered because ghostface manages to kill her and her son (whilst taken an age to do it) in the time before they even show up.

The boyfriend was pretty obvious i thought as a killer. He reminded me of Stuey from the original movie and the fact he didn't get stabbed at the hospital kinda made it

a little suspicious. Other characters were fine i guess, nothing amazing.

People get shot and stabbed LOADS and they seem to manage to survive somehow. The sister at the start, i'm surprised how fine she seemed to be considering she had been stabbed multiple times and Sidney and Gale didn't seem too fazed from being stabbed/shot.

Poor duey. Kind of a sad end to his story really with how his life turned out. If only Gale hadn't have tried calling him things might have been different. (probably not)

All the meta stuff was good and it kinda pointed out that this movie wouldn't be as good as the original.

Overall its a decent movie. It's probably my third favourite. Possibly better than Scream 2, but for nostalgic reasons i'd still say third.

I really enjoyed this. Scream is one of my favourite slasher movies - this seems like a nice homage to it.

It's not scary but there are some nice moments that play with jump scares and some suitably gruesome deaths.

Some of the new cast felt a bit slight but the meta commentary felt more in line with the first movie.

I didn't think much of the lead or Cox in this movie but Duey and Sidney where great and I liked the use of the red right hand theme.

Ghostface was as traditionally clumsy- It's not the right costume for effective murdering.

Just got back from seeing this. Quite enjoyed it. Only downside being the ending:

Spoiler

They iterally did the exact same thing as 4, two people who want to recreate the original. The only difference being these two are doing it as an allegory of toxic fandom whereas in 4 it was just two people wanting fame. I felt up until this point the movie was implying that a remake/sequel in this day and age needs to be smarter than what's come before, so was expecting something better.

On 14/01/2022 at 21:39, Darhkwing said:

spoiler time

Hide contents

So i liked the call backs to the original - seeing billy lomas again was pretty neat - this made me think stuey was going to show up as well, perhaps as the killer. (dont ask)

Spoiler

This was actually the original idea for Scream 3.

Colour me interested! Definitely going to see this once my entire extended family have recovered from covid and we can get a baby sitter.

Crazy how there was 18 years between Halloween and Scream, but 26 years between Scream and Scream.

It’s another one of these and is respectful and playful in all the right ways. At least as good as the previous one. A solid 3/5 watch it or don’t movie.

It was my first 4DX experience though, and 10/5 for that. Felt like I nearly needed a seat belt during some of the more intense scenes.

Spoiler

Once upon a time in Hollywood is probably my favourite movie of the past decade, but for some reason I just couldn’t place that one actress. Then she was set on fire. I completely lost it. 

:lol: