Western Game UI vs Japanese Game UI

Talvalin

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

477kqrf11fs71.png

Look at the state of this shit (bottom image, top is a previous title). The wasted space, the colour choices. I'm assumung that the eye searing teal means that an option is selected, but I couldn't swear to that and it might just as easily be if it's theother way around.

It's actually both - teal means it's selected but only when the 'cursor' isn't over the option. For the option that's highlighted teal means it's deselected. Took me all of five seconds to facepalm after checking the options menu (the first four of which I felt like I was fighting off a stroke) so god knows how it's survived so deep into development.

I had a go at Flight Simulator on the Series S the other day and that must be one of the poster children for 'bad mouse-style input in a console game'. In theory you can use the D-pad too but it only seems to work on certain menus and with varying degrees of usability/lag.

To be fair, at the time of the vid's publication there was this (by then already ten year old and resurging)  "OMG have you seen Asian web design!?" wave going through the design community. In Asia, a surplus of information was deemed to be more trustworthy as opposed to graphical elements, hence a lot of, for instance, Japanese websites having a focus on text rather than making things pretty throught the 90's and 00's.

US/European design tastes were at that time (10's) catering to extreme minimalism (something we're only just kind of letting go) which found its apex in the flat iOS designs. So taken in that context yeah, I can see where they are coming from but, no, unfortunately time is not the "Western Designer's" side when it comes to games. "We" were still cramming things awkwardly together while Final Fantasy VII was presenting a slick updated version of 16-bit RPG menus. Previously mentioned R4 made the UI part of the game experience while maintaining legibility. And how can one ignore the entirety of Advance Wars?!

If anything, US/EU games have quite suffered from the use of UI frameworks often embedded or used in tandem with graphical engines, leading to wave after wave of identi-kit UI solutions (see the Win 8 block period), or repeat solutions (the Destiny cursor allowing one solution for multiple platforms) that more often than not, don't work, but are easy to implement and this needs to be launched next month sooo... in it goes!

Now there are exceptions to whatever rule you can think of, but considering how much more global games are these days, you can find games cribbing influences from all over the planet. Hell, we have Farmville to thank for reward celebrations, which probably got it from MapleStory, etc., etc.

7 hours ago, Rsdio said:

It's actually both - teal means it's selected but only when the 'cursor' isn't over the option. For the option that's highlighted teal means it's deselected. Took me all of five seconds to facepalm after checking the options menu (the first four of which I felt like I was fighting off a stroke) so god knows how it's survived so deep into development.

Cheers. Had to work not to spit my tea over the screen while laughing, and choked on it instead.